FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Browser? Spyware help?

Author Topic: Best Browser? Spyware help?
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
IE is *infuriating*. It's so easy to infect the thing!

I'm on my dad's PC at home and in less than three weeks spyware has managed to decimate it!

I don't understand WHY. He has Norton Anti-Virus and Personal Firewall. He doesn't visit nasty sites. He uses it for taxes and basic surfing - Orbitz, etc.

What's the best way to beat the spyware? I have SpyBot, AdAware, and another program that helps control ActiveX (I'll find the name in a second). What else can I do to beat existing spyware and prevent more?

Also, this thing is an eMachines ( [Grumble] ), and the homepage in IE is permanently set to http://www.emachines.com. It won't let me change it. How can I fix it?

Also, what's an alternative browser I could download?

Edit: I miss my Mac [Frown]

[ May 11, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Mozilla, I think.

Opera's another browser.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
I tried to go into the "Add/Remove Windows Components" part of the Add/Remove Programs dialogue in the Control Panel, and I got this:

quote:
Could not access the file msmqocm.inf

Error code 0x2 at line 2011777033

Help!
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd venture to say that the sole source of your problems is the fact that it's an eMachine. They come preinstalled with several spyware programs. I'd suggest backing up all important files, formatting the hard drive, and reinstalling Windows (but not from the restore CD that came with the computer).

To fix the homepage, go to Start > Run and type in "regedit." Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Internet Explorer > Main. On the right you should see an entry titled "Start Page." Right-click on it, select Modify, and change the value data. This should keep it from changing back to www.emachines.com.

Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Snarky,

So I'd need a fresh copy of XP, right?

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you would need a fresh copy of XP (or some other operting system).

I'd recommend using Mozilla's FireFox for all your browsing needs.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

*sigh*

I was hoping there'd be a less expensive way to fix it.

Snarky
Member # 4406

That's the only problem, Kasie.

Here's a question for the geeks who know more about licensing: If you buy a computer that comes preinstalled with Windows XP but has no install CD, is it legal to borrow a disc from someone else to reinstall Windows XP?

Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I don't think it is. Such machines generally are SPECIFICALLY installed under an OEM-only license. That said, it's a grey-enough area that I don't think you'd have any legal OR ethical problems if you did it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

I think putting spyware in the computer without telling people about it is unethical. [Grumble] [Mad]

Now, to find someone with a copy of XP...

Snarky
Member # 4406

quote:
That said, it's a grey-enough area that I don't think you'd have any legal OR ethical problems if you did it.
Oh, I certainly didn't. When I still had my eMachines, I used my roommate's Windows 98 disc. I eventually got around to buying my own copy of XP, though.
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the vote for Firefox. It's easily the best browser that I've ever used, and also conforms to W3 standards, unlike IE.

That and I love tabbrowsing.

As far as spyware goes, I like to use Ad-Aware. It's free and clears out a lot of stuff. I don't have any experience with eMachines, so I can't really tell you what to do there. But if someone suggests a fresh install of Windows, then that's probably the best bet.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip on Ad-Aware. It's much better than Spybot Search and Destroy.

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
I third the vote for FireFox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

As to spyware I say use Adaware and AVG's free vuris scanner as it picks up a bunch of spyware stuff as well.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
for people who use Mozilla and FireBunny or whatever they've gotten around to calling it now, I have compiled a set of smart bookmarks for awesome web browsing. For those of you who don't know what smart bookmarks are I've explained what smart bookmarks are in that post.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll pitch in with another vote for Mozilla Firefox. It is my favorite browser, by far.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't somebody gonna put in a plug for Opera?

No?

How about if I just offer a convenient link instead. I don't know how it compares to Mozilla but it sure beats IE. (that's all the recommendation I ever needed)

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
you're in college aren't you? check with your school they might give windows to you.

edit: your and you're

[ May 12, 2004, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: HollowEarth ]

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Moz - I use Firebird and Thunderbird for my email.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
And all this time I thought Microsoft products were the best [Confused]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.