FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adult 'Happy Meals' offer salad, no prize

Author Topic: Adult 'Happy Meals' offer salad, no prize
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/04/15/adult.happy.meals.ap/

quote:
Coming soon to a McDonald's near you: Adult Happy Meals, featuring salad, bottled water, pedometer and a little bit of advice: Walk more.

quote:
As part of the campaign, the company said that in June it will roll out healthier choices in its Happy Meals for kids nationwide, such as the option to substitute apple slices and juice for fries and a soft drink.

What is McDonald's doing?? These adult happy meals seem to be almost as bad as McDonald's McGriddle commercials on TV.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
How long do you think it will be before they replace their play-pen with a mini-gym?
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
They'll be more likely to get our business. We never go there right now, and it is the only restaurant within walking distance.

Maybe I'll go on a McDonald's diet and exercise program and lose lots of weight and tell them and get in commercials and get rich, like the Subway guy, Jared.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
But Amka, you have to be big to start with to do that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
McDonald's has been flailing around looking for new products for ages; this is just the latest in a long string of bad ideas. Although I DID like the Arch Deluxe, actually; the only problem with that burger was the marketing, which centered on showing young children biting into it and nearly vomiting. (The logic -- that adults will like this burger because kids find it positively revolting -- doesn't spring to mind as a triumph of advertising.)

[ May 12, 2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I have plenty of weight to lose. Like 25-30lbs. Trust me. That isn't even my weight before I had kids. That would be 35 lbs to lose.
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really can't wait to see 'Super Size Me'....
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
McDonald's does make a mean grilled cheese, which consists of a single unmelted slice of cheese on a bun. This is what you get if you're a vegetarian and don't care for their wilted salads.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it stupid to say that I want the pedometer? I've been considering buying a more expensive one ever since that report came out of people just being aware of how far they walked every day and trying to add just a little bit more walking put you in better health, but I'd like to try it with a cheapy to decide if its worth it.

I know that Mc Donalds is based around here, but I was waiting to go for a couple days since don't know if it would come out in my local McDonalds immediately.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is making me hungry
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a cheeseburger.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will get a big mac, I haev not had one for like 2 years.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, I like the grilled chicken bacon ranch salad.

I'm not sure how good the pedometers are, but I guess it would be good for a starter one.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
what exactly is a pedometer?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one revolted by the idea of Mc donalds apple slices? we have them already and well, they comein a bag. Which leads me to believe that they do not come off of apples. Prepackaged just doesn't sound fresh enough to me. Maybe they are dehydrated??
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Here kaioshin00.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

quote:
what exactly is a pedometer?
An instrument that gauges the approximate distance traveled on foot by registering the number of steps taken.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, the sad thing about this is that the idea of an adult Happy Meal -- a combo with a cheap gift of some sort -- is not a bad one. But a pedometer and fitness tips?

Why not the poetry of Rumi? A multitool? A keychain light? Oprah's latest book club selection? An electronic crossword puzzle? A personal organizer? A watch that stores phone numbers?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

TD - this goes back to the suing McD over getting fat problem ... now they offer "healthy alternatives" so you don't have to get fat there.
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why not the poetry of Rumi? A multitool? A keychain light? Oprah's latest book club selection? An electronic crossword puzzle? A personal organizer? A watch that stores phone numbers?
Tom,

Fine for you.

For me, screw that. I'll take what the kids are getting.

From the McDonald's site:

quote:
As part of the McDonald’s 25 Years of Happiness celebration, each Happy Meal and Mighty Kids Meal® will include one of six ESPN25 sports action, mini-video games featuring the Best in Sports. In celebration of ESPN’s 25th Anniversary, McDonald’s will offer a one-of-a-kind collection of games featuring basketball great Vince Carter, world-class tennis champions Serena and Venus Williams, skateboarding legend Tony Hawk, football star Michael Vick, Olympic soccer star Mia Hamm, and car racing champion Tony Stewart.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, I ate a pecan cinammon roll, two slices of stuffed pizza, and several cups of coke. Bleah. I feel gross.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you do. You're supposed to drink the Coke, not eat it.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Oh. No wonder it tasted a little... plasticky.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Oh well. Any given "gluttonous" meal can only make me gain what, like half a pound?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
--I--
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great, an overpriced salad in a bag with a pedometer and overpriced water.

Every noticed how expensive eating healthy is? Add $.50 for a Carb friendly bun at Sonic. Get a low-carb wrap at Subway for a $1 more than a sandwhich with the same contents. Substitute a salad for the fries in a value meal at Burger King for $.40 more.

Seems to me there is some cashing in on this low-carb and healthy food craze.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

Wouldn't the pedometer be considered the "prize"?
Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The thing is that I LIKE salads. But there aren't many decent ones available at fast food places. I'm picky about the quality of my lettuce. Wendy's 99cent ceasar salads aren't too bad, but the Mcdonalds previous iteration of salad shakers were awful. The premuim salads are quite good. Decent lettuce that doesn't taste like it should be on the grocery refuse pile. So I'm glad McDonalds is doing this. Because sometimes I want fast convienent food, but would actually get a salald rather than a burger if a decent one was available.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Quizno's has wonderful salads. I had one last night.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Quiznos has very scary commercials
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
You can find decent salads at fast food places - Arby's has great ones - but really, if you're going to pay 6 bucks for your salad, why not eat at a quality non-chain place and enjoy yourself while supporting the little man?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I paid four dollars for a dang bottle of water at Fenway.
bCurt
Member # 5476

quote:
...if you're going to pay 6 bucks for your salad...
Problem is, I'm not gonna pay $6 for a salad. [Big Grin] I'll go out and eat some of the grass in front of the office before I pay that much for a pile of lettuce, a few carrot shards, perhaps a couple pieces of meat and salad dressing.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
In my limited experience, pedometers haven been very innacurate. They sit on your waist and count each vibration that they think is a step and then add up. I found that no matter how hard I tried to set the stupid thing right it would give very bad data, even when I was going on a 10 mile hike (so it should've really averaged out any inconsitancies in my stride). I can't imagine how innacurate it would be for things like walking around the office.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Annie I have 1/2 hour for a lunch break. The nearest food of any sort is subway or mcdonalds. I can only eat so much subway before I burn out contrary to their commercials though they are the healthier alternative. Either way, driving to either store ordering food, and driving back to work takes up the entire half hour. There is no way I could go to a sit down place for lunch.

I do try to bring my own as much as possible.

AJ

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to say that Subway's salads are huge, and one of them could easily be eaten during two different meals.

Anyway, I want Wendy's salad bar back.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Wendy's frosty's are great! and only 99 cents
bCurt
Member # 5476

And you can have your shake with your salad!

Wendy's salad bar was excellent. I haven't been to a Wendy's in years since they got rid of their heavily researched burgers (Big Classic?).

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wouldn't the pedometer be considered the "prize"?
Well, imagine sitting in McDonald's, opening up your "happy meal" and getting your pedometer.

Then you look over at the next table where a bunch of kids are opening their happy meals, with different hand-held games in each one. (see my previous post in this thread)

Even assuming this was your first pedometer, instead of just one more in a series of identical worthless McDonald's pedometers, which looks more like a prize to you? What you have in your hand? Or the hand-held games they're all playing with?

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
MMMMMMMMMMM

Berry parfait... *druel*

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I happen to work in a Mcdonald's, and let me just say that the apple dippers are very good. The apples you get in the bag are fresh and delicious. It does scare me that you all are so well informed... I don't even know when we're getting the Adult Happy Meals. And as a fun fact, when you get one of our big salads with the grilled/crispy chicken and the dressing you are getting almost the same amount of fat as eating 2 mcchicken sandwiches or there abouts.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

quote:
It does scare me that you all are so well informed... I don't even know when we're getting the Adult Happy Meals.
You can thank Conan O'Brien for making fun of it a couple days ago [Cool]
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw on the sign that our McDonalds has them...Bleah.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.