FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A girlie question and a car question

Author Topic: A girlie question and a car question
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
Girlie Question:
So, I'm going to a prom of sorts, its at my church. But it still counts, but I bought a new dress and everything, but I can't decide how to do my hair. This is my dress With hair like this (The picture 6 down) But I'm afraid that the hair will not go with the dress.
Any suggestions?

Car question:
So awhile back, I definately backed into a parked car. Whoops. But I have a Volvo so my car looks relatively unharmed. But I'm worried that next time my dad takes it into the dealer to get its however many mile check up, the mechanic will be able to tell that I hit something and will tell my dad (who doesn't know I ran into the car).
So my question is whether or not the mechanic would be able to tell?

Thanks!
~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would look very nice, and classic that way.

I know nothing about cars and I would ask my dad but that would make him very suspicious that I have done something similar to my car.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind lying, just say that you don't know how it got there. He'll assume it happened when you were parked (that is, someone else did it to you).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have no problem lying, but I hit the other car with the corner of my car. Is that not a hard place for another car to hit me?

The car I hit was parked illegally behinded me and I was pulling out diagonally. So I hit it at a diagonal.

~~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
sure a mechanic would be able to see body damage...and would likely ask if you wanted it fixed (more money for the shop). If you don't want you dad to see it, you should take it to get fixed without him. Though I would recommed that you bring someone with you that knows about cars. Mechanics can be sexist, and are likely to treat you poorly and try to rip you off, particularly if you don't know about cars. Also, you should ask if they will knock off money if you offer to pay cash. That works sometimes. You don't want to use insurance anyway, as then your parents really would know.

As for the other car, have them get a couple of estimates to give you before you give them money. Some people will exagerate the cost if you don't get a written estimate.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
How old's the Volvo? Is it one with a rubber bumper-bar? If so, then no-one will know anything, because those suckers are designed to take a pounding.

If it's plastic, but there's no scratching or dents in it, I seriously doubt they'd notice.

Besides, wouldn't the mechanic just assume that your dad would know about any dints in his car? He probably wouldn't even mention it.

But if you feel like lying go with the "no idea" defence, it's not unusual to get hit on a corner by someone else trying to get out of a parking space.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

The Volvo is a '97. So I don't know what kind of bumber it has, but I know there is a slight discoloration to it, but nothing major. Hopefully the mechanic wouldn't say anything, but my dad has just started talking about getting my car checked before I go off to school, and i don't want to get busted right before I leave.

About my hair though, does anybody actually know how to do hair like that? Or anywhere on the web where I can look up step-by-step instructions?

~Irish

Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
No clue, Irish. But it would definitely be soooooo cute. Why don't you take the picture to a hair salon?
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
The mechanic probably won't say anything even if it's noticeable. The real question: did you leave a note?
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Richard, don't make her answer that! [Wink]
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly pissed ME off when someone backed into my car and didn't leave a note. [Mad]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

Oh no, I went into the gym and found the person. I was mortified that I had hit the car, I wasn't just going to leave. But i think that since he was parked illegally, he didn't want to call the cops, so he told me I could go as long as he could get all his doors open. Yeah, it wasn't a hit and run. What kinda person do you think I am. [Eek!] [Wink]

If I took the picture to a salon, would they just tell me how to do it for free? I don't want to have to pay to get my hair done.

~Irish

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The hair will go fine with the dress. Is your hair long? I'm pretty sure I could do the front of that hairstyle, but I'm not sure what the back would look like. dkw could probably explain how to do it better than me, she wears her hair up all the time.

Try this: put some volumizing gunk into your hair when it's damp and blow dry it, so it's nice and full and a little "sticky," and will hold the style better. Part it down the middle, and grab the front of one side and pull it back. Start twisting it gently, and as you twist loosen how hard you're pulling back. The front will start to poof up, like in the picture. If you use a big round brush on the front as you're drying it, or set it on hot rollers first, you'll get more poof. Anyway, when it hits the look you want, use bobby pins to attach the twisted part to your head and hold it in place. Repeat with the other side. Bring the two twists together and add the rest of your hair from the back of your head, and probably finish it into a bun or coiled braid, and spray the heck out of it all.

The twisting part just worked okay for me when I tried it in a mirror, but my hair is very fine so I didn't get quite the right look. I think with a little product, blowdrying and/or hot rollers, and dedication I could make it do that. Take an evening when you've got nothing else going on and experiment. Even if you don't get it to look exactly like that, you'll probably find something you like.

Now, would somebody tell me where to get the doll's dress in a size 8? Or a pattern? I love it!

[ May 14, 2004, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Instructions for a 1940’s hair roll

The instructions aren’t perfectly clear, and it’s a weird process, so practice a few times and feel free to ask if you get into trouble. It’s a fun ‘do.

OR, use these instructions for a Gibson Girl, but divide the top section into two before you twist and pull the sides tighter. This might be easier if you have really long hair. It's not really period, but you could probably get it to look pretty close to what you want.

[ May 14, 2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
On the hair:

I think what you want is the classic 40's roll. I went looking for instructions, and found these:
Nocturne Vintage Hair Shop's page on hair rolls. They have a bunch of instructions for other styles, as well.

It involves curlers, lots of teasing, pins, some hairspray, patience, and practice. You'll probably want to modify it a bit. Rolls can be a pretty severe style, depending on how you do it, and your dress (very cute dress - I like it!) is on the happier, fun side even though it's black.

[Smile]

(EDIT: Hah! You beat me to it, dkw.)

[ May 14, 2004, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Beca ]

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
A stand up person, for going in and finding the other driver.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

Thanks for all the help. I'll post a picture of what my hair looks like sometime early next week (hopefully).

~~Irish

IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

Bump and link with pictures.

~Irish

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
That dress is *so cute*! The hair looks great with it.

YOU'RE so cute.

*jealous*
[Smile]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.