FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Soup Kitchen

Author Topic: Soup Kitchen
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
This might seem completely and totally off the wall (that's probably because it is), but would any of youse guys know much about soup kitchens? I'm asking about the basics, mostly about how they work and who they accept. I assume they vary from place to place, but I'm not looking for specifics. Personal experiences are highly welcomed.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve volunteered with a group on campus called Food Not Bombs. You basically offered up your Saturday morning to prepare the soup or your afternoon to serve. Some people also work in our garden when things are in season. Anyone who was interested was welcome to come but they tried to make sure a “grizzled vet” was always on hand at each location. Nobody was required to show up, a list of tasks was just E-mailed to the mailing list and people signed up for what they were free to do. If not enough people sign up housemates and classmates can suddenly find themselves volunteered [Wink] Especially if they had a car to drive from the church with the kitchen to downtown where we served.

All our food was donated from local grocery stores and our garden when the time’s right. Everything we make is vegan, not so much because of ethics but because the health codes are so much simpler. But it has made for some interesting recipes. Certainly everyone taking advantage of the service has suggestions of different soups to make and different ways to prepare things. Anything that isn’t eaten by the end of the day gets dropped off at one of the real soup kitchens downtown.

Because it’s totally student-powered I imagine it’s a lot less organized and laid back than you’d find in a bigger kitchen, but it’s still been a good time. I’ve had some great conversations with people, both homeless and those who were just interested in what we were doing. Definitely a positive experience all around. *shrug* don’t really know what you expected to hear.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I'm not certain, either. I just want to hear about it, I suppose.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
I volunteered serving at a soup kitchen, and pretty much anyone who wanted to could come in and eat. It's not like they asked or anything if you were homeless or why you needed food, just figured if you were coming that you needed it.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at one, and it was similar to what's been said. In general, we would try and get them to sign their names on a list, maybe to discourage coming in and eating twice, but many of them just wrote an "X" and no one asked questions. But we never turned anyone away.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have one here at the Salvation Army. They quit because not enough people came to eat. I live in a rural area where if you don't have enough to eat, you probably don't have transportation to get there either.

I tend to patronize the food pantries. Not the one at the salvation army, because they limit a person to once every two month, with a two time max. Ther are some small ministries here that distribute food. I like the ones where they don't require a complicated registration or approval process, and prefer not to be preached at beforehand. I'm still polite, though, if they do. Unfortunately, I no longer have my own transportation, so I haven't been going. But the women's shelter gave me apples and potatoes.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Oh, I meant who they accept as in who they accept to work there, not who they accept to serve food to.

Edit: that must've sounded pretty heartless.

[ May 17, 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone with working appendages, then. (Or at least enough working appendages so that they can be helpful.)

[ May 17, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't OSC talk about soup kitchens in Ender's shadow?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, completely off-topic... can someone define a troll for me? I keep getting called one... [Cry]
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Doesn't OSC talk about soup kitchens in Ender's shadow?
ya, the book starts out with bean and his efforts at getting food.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ValentineZero14 (5:46:31 PM): define : troll
XavierM01 (5:47:49 PM): someone who posts not to express himself or even advance an argument, its someone who posts in order to cause controversy and rile people up.
XavierM01 (5:48:21 PM): sometimes pretending to have a POV, but really is just pretending for the sake of pissing people off by arguing it
ValentineZero14 (5:48:31 PM): can I quote you?
XavierM01 (5:48:42 PM): for what?
ValentineZero14 (5:48:48 PM): soup kitchen
ValentineZero14 (5:49:01 PM): better yet, you just explain
ValentineZero14 (5:49:09 PM): go to the bottom

So there you have it Polio. Not the be all end all definition, but its pretty much the accepted one.

People are calling you a troll because you post with a style either consciously or unconsciously designed to piss off your opponents in the debate.

You say things which are hard to accept you actually believe, not only because they don't make much sense, but also they are inflammatory.

Your statements on certain threads could not be taken as anything other than offensive, and purposely so.

Hence trollish.

But some of out best posters started as trolls, so don't leave or anything!

[ May 17, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

Thanks guys! And while we're at it... I still haven't figured out what a dobie is. Or a jatraquero, although I know it has a positive connotation. (I looked it up with a Spanish translator, but as you probably all know, jatraquero in English is jatraquero in Spanish, too. [Big Grin] ) [Dont Know]
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
A "dobie" is a thread that has a title slightly altered from another thread for humorous intent, normally with a link to a humorous site. (For instance, if I had posted "My girlfriend needs to stop hitting on me", it would look like the thread "My girlfriend needs to stop hitting me", which was created by Ben. But I couldn't find a link.) They are named for a long-gone user who called himself Dobie.

"Jatraquero" is Spanish (probably bad Spanish) for "hatracker".

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
jatraquero/jatraquera is just another name for a hatracker or hatrack denizen. Originally coined by Davd Bowles, it is a play on the words "Hat" and "Rack" in Spanish.

A dobie is a joke thread, one made with a very similar title as a serious thread, and usually with a link to something funny in the first post. Made popular by a jatrquero whose screen name was Dobie, before that screen name got banned.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

Oh, it's all so clear now! [The Wave]
Book
Member # 5500

What does

quote:
ValentineZero14 (5:46:31 PM): define : troll
XavierM01 (5:47:49 PM): someone who posts not to express himself or even advance an argument, its someone who posts in order to cause controversy and rile people up.
XavierM01 (5:48:21 PM): sometimes pretending to have a POV, but really is just pretending for the sake of pissing people off by arguing it
ValentineZero14 (5:48:31 PM): can I quote you?
ValentineZero14 (5:49:01 PM): better yet, you just explain
ValentineZero14 (5:49:09 PM): go to the bottom

have to do with this thread? I wasn't trying to stir up controversy, if that's what anyone was thinking.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I was answering Polio's question there Book.

Sorry for any confusion [Wink] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Nah, it's just that

confused me.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.