FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have a job!!!!

Author Topic: I have a job!!!!
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got off the phone with the recruiter from ADP - they hired me! I start June 1st as a Computer Support Operator Level 2, with a full benefits package (that starts that day) and $7/hr more than what I was making at my last job.

Downsides: Monday-Wednesday are 8AM-8:30PM, Thursday is Noon-4PM and I get Friday-Sunday off. It's in Hoffman Estates, an hour/hour-ten drive from Rockford.

Upsides: I like the people I met when I went in for my interview, and the atmosphere is very casual (if loud - the Data Center has lots of fans), and it's in a software environment that I have experience with. And there's plenty of room for advancement, as they like to promote internally.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
*does happy dance*

[ May 17, 2004, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Congrats, Lime! [Big Grin] That's great!

Enjoy your last couple weeks of leisure. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Sounds like a great job, except for the hours, which the commute will make even longer. But I pulled 4x10s with a similar commute for over a year, and you get used to it really fast. And the 3 day weekends are nice!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Yeah, the 12 hour days are going to suck, but there are only 3 of them. It'll be a bit like a college schedule, but with work (and I can't skip classes. Not that I ever did. [No No] [Wink] ) But it's gonna be good. We can really start digging into saving for a house now. And I get a new car ('cause the Honda is gonna move unless it's towed), which is going to be a 2004 Prius. That's going to be cool.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever need a place to crash and don't want to head home with an hour drive, our place is open.

I have actually been going to Rockford frequently because the handler for my dogs is there. In fact I thought of you last night, and wished I'd thought to locate your phone # again because I ate at the Beef-A-Roo on south Alpine, while we swapped the dogs from her car to mine.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm...Beef-A-Roo!
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they change the font set? or is it my computer?

Alariel of Dorthonion shows up with a bunch of Japaneese characters, and now Vana is a V- box...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I was just wondering that - I'm getting V(box) too! Don't know about the other one.
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*is jealous*
[Big Grin] That's great!

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
what all training do you have? I am enjoying computers so much, I want to get formal education/experience.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo! Congratulations Lime!

I really want a Prius, too, but a new car really isn't in our budget. For some reason, I also really like the Toyota Matrix.

You know, if you were going to drive an hour anyways, I'm sure Tom could've pulled some strings to get you a job at Edgewood *grin*

Congrats again!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Lime on the new job! You'll be terrific at it, I'm sure!

Commutes aren't too bad -- I commute 45 minutes to work. I kind of like the drive time -- gives me thinking time away from the kids..

I wish my employer would offer 10 or 12 hour days, and fewer days per week. I'd be willing to do it that way.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratz.

If you get the chance, and they start doing our checks again, could you have them add a few zeros? thanks.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

Alexa: I've got a degree in Computer Science, three years' experience as a Helpdesk Monkey, and many, many more years experience of pulling things apart and seeing what breaks. I've also got an MCP certification.

If you're going to start out learning about computers, the best way to do it is to back up your data, and then not be afraid to try something new. Learn about the hardware, the software, and then try to squeeze it for all it's worth. It'll take a while to get things figured out, but you'll get there.

Vána - I'm getting a V?na instead of V[box]. This is quite strange. Maybe you should check out your user control panel and see what it says there.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, with your new hours and your new pay, you now have no reason -- besides simply not enjoying our company -- to visit more often. [Smile] We could have all kinds of LAN/RPG goodness. *laugh*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
When Hatrack came back after being down for two days, many of the special characters got mucked up. Vána and AofD's accented characters, formerly invisble characters . . .

Anyway, I see Vána as V-box too, and AofD's accented characters are boxes also.

[Edit: I take that back! On this computer (a library computer, but running IE, just like my computer at home and the one at work), AofD's accented characters show up as a box and a funky asian-looking symbol.]

[ May 18, 2004, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a better job!

I get to clean the restrooms at Chik Fil-A. Damn entry level position . . .

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.