FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did anyone else watch Gilmore Girls? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Did anyone else watch Gilmore Girls?
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoiler*

Dean went to the election rally and apologized to Rory for behaving like an ass. He said the whole moving back with his parents thing was a little harder than he thought.

Rory asked (in a nice way) whether Dean would've left his wife if she did not discovery Rory's letter.

Dean said yes, but with just a tiny bit of noticeable hesitation.

Rory said "great" and smiled, and moved some hair out of her face as she turned away from Dean. I don't think Rory believes Dean, although she really wants to.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rory asked (in a nice way) whether Dean would've left his wife if she did not discovery Rory's letter.

Dean said yes, but with just a tiny bit of noticeable hesitation.

Rory said "great" and smiled, and moved some hair out of her face as she turned away from Dean. I don't think Rory believes Dean, although she really wants to.

This little scene struck me as incredibly odd and dishonest. In the season premiere, Dean told Rory that he didn't know what he'd been thinking when he slept with her. He had a wife and Rory had repeatedly bailed on him. It seems REALLY obvious that he wouldn't have left his wife if she hadn't found the letter. This scene makes me think that the characters were either trying to decieve themselves or the writers were being sloppy. ???
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
You missed the first forty-five minutes? if I'm reading that correctly.

*spoilers*
Dean's sharing the car with Lindsay so couldn't make it to Yale to see Rory. Rory drove to Dean's house instead and Dean's mom was not giving them their privacy. Next they try Rory's car but that doesn't work. Rory asks Dean if he wants to go to Jackson's town selectman rally with her and Dean throws a mini-tantrum about throwing stuff into Lindsay's face. Then they make up when Dean goes to the rally.
In other news, Jackson challenges Taylor for the town selectman position. Luke makes breakfast for Lorelai at her house but she would rather have it at Luke's. Lane's band (HepAlien?) plays at Jackson's election rally. Jackson wins the election. Lorelai feels sorry for Taylor. Lane tells Zack that she likes him. Lorelai remembers that Luke goes to bed early and doesn't like champagne.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Yikes. Sorry about that. I'm watching the Laker game and didn't read your post correctly.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Coccinelle, those're the highlights. Most of it is in order.

Yes, I agree, Amanecer. It felt like Dean and Lindsay were not going to split up before Lindsay found the letter. The roast beef was a very nice touch. They seemed to be getting along really well.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

I also liked how Lane declared her feelings. She looked just like her mom when she said that. [Big Grin]

Amanecer, I think the characters are lying to themselves. The writers are playing with fire here. If I begin to hate Rory, the show would be a lot less enjoyable for me.

Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the recap. It's amazing, I figured out most of what happened within the last few minutes.

*No longer feels committed to watch the whole show every week* What a relief!

I agree that the scene seemed dishonest (well the recap at least) Dean didn't act like he had any intention of telling whats-her-face that he'd slept with Rory. Why did Rory ask? I'd like to think that deep down she knows the truth.

[ October 13, 2004, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Gyah. Get Dean off the show. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Amanecer, I think the characters are lying to themselves. The writers are playing with fire here. If I begin to hate Rory, the show would be a lot less enjoyable for me.
I know how you feel. [Frown] After Rory slept with Dean, I lost all respect for her character. I hoped the writers would deal with this well, but I'm just not seeing it. After four years of pretty faithful watching, I'm thinking about dropping it. I hope they fix this, but I just don't know. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm seeing last night's episode right now.

I. Love. Paris.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, I just finished it.

I hate the Rory and Dean stuff, except I never thought Rory was perfect so it's kind of understandable - she doesn't know what she's doing. I also didn't like the opening scene with Luke and Lorelai. Lorelai, you have a smoking-gorgeous man in your kitchen fixing you breakfast. Enjoy it.

However, I did like the final scene. For lots of reasons. The episode ended much better than it started.

katharina
Member # 827

Story on Slate: Gilmore Girls the most bookish show on television

quote:
It's not just that Rory Gilmore (Alexis Bledel), the teenage heroine who, until she left for Yale, lived with her sexy single mom, Lorelai (Lauren Graham), in tiny Stars Hollow, Conn., is an inveterate bookworm, dropping historical and cultural references every other line; the writers of Gilmore Girls, led by creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, actually understand something about the way books function in adolescent life. Literary references are to the women of this show what pop-music references are to the teenage boys of The O.C.: a badge of identity, a cultural currency that symbolizes the young characters' emerging sense of selfhood. Borrowed, traded, or earnestly pressed upon others, books are a way of concretizing the teenager's secret conviction that if only someone could truly understand them, everything would be all right.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Great article. Although I'm disappointed there wasn't a brief mention of Paris dating a novelist.

Here's the thing with Dean -- he's comfortable and dangerous at the same time. Isn't that what the whole last episode was about? Dean knows all the or L and R's habits and customs, their secret language.

Rory isn't brave enough yet for someone more her speed.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Mediocre episode last night -- by Gilmore Girls standards. Still fairly entertaining in comparison to the rest of the TV-scape.

Sidenote: The Kirk appearance in this episode was fairly routine, but his appearance in the previous episode was one of his best ever [the part where they want more popcorn and he is making out with his girlfriend was hilarious -- as was the whole explanation of the movie choices].

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Wow, was that a moveon.org reference. I love this show. [Razz]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Last night's episode was brilliant -- funny, charming, touching and witty.
katharina
Member # 827

I agree, it was wonderful. I laughed the whole hour, and I positively cheered the ending.

I think Rory is not at all integrated into any kind of college life and that's to her detriment, but maybe ASP is giving her somewhere to go. [Smile]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there somewhere I can get a detailed summary or even a script of the show? I was at poetry club last night, and we were using our VCR to record Jeopardy.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I flipped through last night and was astonished by the pacing of the dialog. Obviously I have missed a lot here.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Brinestone: This one is good enough that you really should wait for the Television Without Pity recap to be posted. It'd be the next best thing to watching the show.
katharina
Member # 827

Anyone else notice that "Amy Sherman-Palladino" has the same meter as "chocolate mocha frappacino"?

Every time I read her name I have a mental image of a trio of male models chanting AMY SHERman-pallaDINo!

DD: The TWOP recaplet of Gilmore Girls

Added: Oh, and I adore Logan. He seems like a fabulous time, and cute enough to keep. I'm not thrilled by the entourage, but I like him.

[ December 02, 2004, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.