FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Famous by 30 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Famous by 30
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the greatest things about being a kid is that you really think you're going to do everything. Whenever you see a famous actor, writer, musician, sports star, or anyone else that has become well-known, somewhere in the back of your mind you think that you can do it too. But as you grow up, you start noticing, little by little, that you're falling behind. By the time you're 20 you may realize that Eddie Murphy was a famous comedian and Jackie Chan was a famous actor by the time they were your age. By your mid-20s the list of such people grows significantly. I remember how shocked I was to hear that The Red Baron died when he was 26. Citizen Kane, considered by many to be the best movie of all time, was written, directed, and starred in my someone in his mid 20s. And now, coming up on 30, I have to face the fact that practically everyone that has ever become famous has done it by my age.

Not that I'm really obsessed with fame. I honestly don't care. But it does give me a feeling of mortality to realize that some options really have passed me by. Now when I watch a movie, listen to an album, or read a book, I have to concede that I'm never going to be on the screen, playing the instrument, or holding the pen. Not only has everyone I can think of who is famous made it by my age, but most of them have done the best work of their lives by that time.

Am I wrong? Can anyone think of a famous person who was unknown when he or she was 30? Am I the only one who's a little bit disturbed by this?

[ May 20, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Colonel Sanders?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus didn't get his big break until his early 30s.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Just as long as you don't get old AND fat.

*snickers*

*heads off to Burger King to get another large chocolate shake and a diet coke.*

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I know Alexander Fleming didn't discover penicillin until he was around 50 years old.

Of course it was an accident.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

Pat Morita aka Noriyuki Morita.

According to this bio, Pat did not star in his first movie until he was 35. Before that, he had a regular job he must of quit in his mid 30s to try a stint in stand-up comedy.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Grandma Moses
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't plan on being famous for another 10-12 years yet.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd wager that the vast majority of famous people became famous after age 30. This is true for virtually all politicians, most truly famous businessmen, many great thinkers, many famous authors, most big time directors, etc.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Janecek. Didn't start composing until he was after 40.
I want to be a famous writer some how. Just not the type that gets followed in supermarkets.
Have to do something about that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what age OSC was when his first full-length novel got published....

...Dog? Can you answer?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Tres:

Good point about the businessmen and politicians. But I really think most directors and writers who are famous now had some reasonable degree of fame before they were 30. Very interesting exceptions I'm hearing, but I still think 30 is a few standard deviations right of center from the bell-shaped curve. I don't have any hard evidence, but every list I can come up with is very heavily weighted in favor of pre-30s success.

Other than that, I haven't heard much about my second question. Does anyone ever think about this? Does anyone here want to be successful in one of these media-type artistic/performance fields? Even in the back of your mind? Am I alone in being disturbed by turning 30 under these conditions?

[ May 20, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been worried about this too. I always intended to write my first book by the time I was twenty. I now have two weeks to get it done.

Where did all the time go?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
A swarm writers including Joseph Heller.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of one of my favorite Tom Lehrer quotes:

quote:
It is a sobering thought ... that when Mozart was my age he had been dead for two years.
That said, I'd much rather be well known within a subculture than be truly famous. Like Victor Kee or Dennis Ritchie.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] DARN! Mike posted the Lehrer quote before I saw this thread!

quote:
From what I know Alexander Fleming didn't discover penicillin until he was around 50 years old.

Of course it was an accident.

Not entirely. Most scientists would have simply scrapped the contaminated plates; he examined them AND realized their significance.

Serendipity favors the prepared mind.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*has problems accepting anyone younger than herself as "famous." Hates on the Olsen Twins*
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs fame when you own the world?

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
God didn't get truly famous until he was quite old, (well, famous to us Humans.) though some believe he did his best work right from the begining.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

What freaks me out is that at my age my mom was already married, had several kids, and divorced. I am getting ready for my first kid. Why do I seem to be so much slower on these life experiences?

I don't want fame, I want accomplishments. I just get too easily side-tracked by entertainment.

[ May 20, 2004, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Alexa ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Any one who married at eighteen freaks me out, because I'm eighteen and I'm not planning on marriage anytime soon.

There's nothing wrong with that...I'm just in a completely different mind set to those people! I simply cannot imagine it!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Famous by 30? Crap. I have three weeks.

On the plus side, at least I'm already infamous by 30.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe OSC was in college when his first novel was published.

How old was Einstein when he first became famous?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
like 23-25 or so.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Too many authors -- even published authors -- start in with writing novels too soon.

Here's what *real* writers do:

Write bad poetry in their teens and early twenties.

Write bad short stories in their mid-20s.

Write decent short stories, a few good pieces of criticsm, and a novella or two in their late 20s and the decade of the 30s.

Start their first novel at age 40.

Hit full stride as a novelist at age 50.

I did the bad poetry thing okay, but I'm behind schedule with the bad short stories.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Zal--

I like your schedule! I did the bad poetry and short stories. I have two more chapters until I finish my first novel, though; that's ten years ahead of schedule!

I've also written some good short stories and good poetry, though I still think I have about ten years before I really hit full stride with those.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

The funny thing, Dante didn't write his famed Comedy until he was in his 40's or so.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
HarrisonFord was pretty much unknown (and a has-been making his living as a carpenter to the extent that he was known) until he did StarWars at the age of 35.

While SharonStone worked in the business, it wasn't until she was 32 that the public found her particularly memorable: mostly as "that chick who tried to kill Schwartzenagger in TotalRecall". She was 34 before BasicInstinct made her famous as SharonStone.

RayKroc was an unknown who had run a few of his businesses into the ground before he purchased a small hamburger business when he was 52, and turned it into McDonalds.

KaryMullis was known mostly to acquaintances as a surfer who spent a lot of time hanging around coffee bars. Until at age 38or39, when he discovered the PolymeraseChainReaction making genetic engineering practical; which was so groundbreakingly important that he received the NobelPrize.

RobertPirsig had an errrmmm...interesting life but was pretty anonymous until his Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance rocketed him to fame at the age of 45.

It would be easy to go on and on and on and ...

[ May 20, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought American lives have no second acts?

now, where did that come from?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky for me, judges of the Australian High Court and the International Court of Justice (why not aim high?) aren't known for their youth.

So I figure I've got another 30 or so years before I start getting worried. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
For some others.. Hugh Jackman didn't really become famous famous until X-Men in 2000, when he was 32.

Similarly, Naomi Watts only become well-known after Mulholland Drive in 2001, when she was 33.

So there's hope yet... [Razz]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Gates became famous when he was reasonably young. Do you want to end up like him? He's a total creep who has bassackward ideas about software.

I guess, on the same note, Linus Torvalds was only about 25 when he became famous for writing the Linux kernel. He's one of the subversive heroes of the Open Source community. Apparently a thinktank funded by Microsoft is claiming that he didn't actually write it, bu apparently they just made up a lot of the research. Linus had a great reply to their slanderous claims, though.

Um...

[/geek]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Imogen:

It's a good point. But Hugh starred in an Australian TV series when he was 27. Naomi Watts had been in a pile of movies before she was 30. Certainly more than anyone else on this board has been in.

And just for the record, as I said in my first post, I have no desire to be famous. I really think I'd hate to do the things these people do. The only thing that disturbs me is that certain paths of my life are inexorably closed. Whenever I saw someone famous, I've spent all of my life thinking, somewhere in the back of my mind, "I'm sure I could do that if I wanted to." Now I'm at the age where I have to concede that no matter how much I want to, or even how much natural talent I may or may not have, I can't do that. I'm happy with the choices I've made in my life, but those choices have closed doors for me that I'll never be able to open. It's a new feeling that's strange and, although I can't explain why, a little disturbing.

That is all.

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*massages speed's scalp*
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If you really think that, then you'll probably prove yourself right....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be famous for being really, really old. The worlds longest recorded marriage was 84 years. I that would take me living to 104, but I want to shoot for 120. I have the genes, but I don't know if my husband does. Three of my grandparents lived past 90 and one is still going. He only had one that made it into her 80's.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my relatives have lived to be over 100 (my aunt calls it the longevity curse). So I figure at age 43 here, I'm not even halfway through my life yet (barring accident). So I still have time to become rich (or famous)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Kwea, there really *are* things that close off to you as you age. Service Academies close their doors on you at 22. Record companies will be very hard pressed to consider a pop star over 28. Professional sports, too, is unlikely to give you a shot too far out of college. Military Service requires a waiver past age 35, as does starting a career as a commerical pilot. The FBI won't accept anyone after their 37th birthday.

There are many things that, if you aren't going down the path by a certain age, you aren't going to get there.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

This week a milestone was reached in Professional Baseball. There have been only slightly more than a dozen perfect games pitched. This week one was pitched by a forty year old.

Please, feel free to correct the details on the numbers in this post, cause I ain't no baseball fan.

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
*favors the prepared mind*
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bill Gates became famous when he was reasonably young. Do you want to end up like him? He's a total creep who has bassackward ideas about software.
Yes I do. But then, after I'm fabulously wealthy, I'll see the light, become a happy person, and live the rest of my life happy *and* wealthy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, you are correct... However, Mr. Big Unit has been pitching for a LONG time. He didn't start as a forty year old.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
In the end, we are all forgotten. Worldly recognition is vanity. Fame is a cold and addictive drug that leaves you empty and wanting more.

There are better battles. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Stargate, whatever you have to tell yourself so being unknown and poor doesn't seem so bad, eh? [Razz]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

Facing the reality of aging can be disconcerting. I am at the middle school I attended, and as students are asking me to sign their yearbooks, I keep thinking...where did the time go? I don't feel particularly smarter, wiser, or older. I just feel like I have a slower metabolism and won’t accomplish some of the things I wanted to accomplish. Many people die before they are 29; if I had died two or three years ago, I wonder what my point would have been. I do appreciate the general happiness surrounding me—but still...

My whole life is a collection of memories and “now-sensations” which become memories as soon as they is identified. I don’t FEEL older, and since I am not consciously thinking about and reviewing all my memories, I seldom feel the age of experience. As I look around and see the expectations these students have for life, and I realize they have more opportunities then me (mostly because I have already made my choices at their age), I too also feel unsettled. I realize my mortality.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
What are these things that you can no longer accomplish?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Sgate, but being rich and famous != unhappy, alone, broken, and living a lie. You made being famous sound so bleak you were begging for someone to take a jab at you. Begging.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I don't see this thread as being about rich and famous.

I see it as being about productive.

We all set goals in our lives. These goals could lead to fame and fortune, or they could lead to family and friends, to helping many people in some signifigant way, to leaving ones mark on the world, even if we know that mark will fade, for the echoes of that mark will live on. Yet life passes on and our goals remain unfulfilled.

Do not despair.

Even if you never wrote that poem that could bring the world to tears, or told that joke that brought laughter to millions, the little things you do affect others, and your existance ripples out on the river of humanity in ways you will never know.

You were here.

You did matter.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey aspectre - I thought I'd take the opportunity to brag. I daily associate with people who used to have Pirsig over for dinner parties. They're my professors, of course, but I still like being so close to fame.

I also grew up next door to Robert Zubrin (the Mars guy).

See, my plan is to gain purpose in life by being as closely associated with famous people as possible, hoping the star dust rubs off.

Of course, if you think you need the real stuff, perhaps you'll find it consoling to know that Billy Ray Cyrus never picked up a guitar until he was 25. [Razz]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, what you wrote is so true.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.