FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » election: deos it really matter?

Author Topic: election: deos it really matter?
goblin
Member # 6539

- posted      Profile for goblin           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one, or does it seem as though with all the messages we see on television lately, choosing a president this year is kinda like trying to decide between being run over by a steamroller, or thrown in a wood chipper? Neither one sounds to pleasant to me. [Angst]
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Are there really only 2 choices this election?
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The purpose of campaign attack ads is not to win voters over to the candidate sponsoring the ad.
The function of mudslinging/negative advertising is to use lies and misleading half-truths to get voters who might support the other candidate to not vote.

If ya wanna let the rat's patooties manipulate you into thinking that "both candidates are bad" or "I'd just be voting for the lesser of two evils", don't bother to educate yourself so that you can detect the falsehoods. Don't check the misleading soundbites with the real facts/quotations.
If you want the rat's patooties to win completely -- to gloat over how gullible you are -- don't vote.

[ May 22, 2004, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it matters. At the minimum, to reelect Bush would put a stamp of approval on the rather radical changes his administration has made to our nation's policies. To not reelect him would be to reject those changes and call for something new.

Regardless of which side you take, I don't see how this could be interpretted as not mattering, unless you don't believe what our nation does matters.

[ May 23, 2004, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goblin
Member # 6539

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we should not vote. I'm not saying that the nation does not matter. The point I was trying to make is that if these are the best we can come up with, then maybe this country is in worse shape then we thought. Just my opinion. It does seem as though we are so used to being lied to and mis lead that we will allow them to do our thinking for us. What happened to the good old days when people were informed, not just buying into the bull that the machine spreads for us? It seems as if the more advanced we become, the less informed we get. I may be wrong. Who knows.
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it interesting that during the information/communication revolution people/we seem less informed and and less communicative?
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Compared to when?

This mud slinging is nothing compared to what our "distinguished" founding fathers engaged in. And the misinformation was also much greater back then; politically affiliated newspapers would print pretty much anything about people who opposed them (or supported them for that matter, though for them a different sort of anything). Unlike the current system, where the mainstream news has to use at least some semblance of a source, and on the whole is remarkably balanced.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What fugu said.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much the textbook case of negative campaigning was 1884:

quote:
Blaine, Blaine, James G. Blaine!
The continental liar from the state of Maine,
Burn this letter!

quote:
Ma, Ma Where's My Pa?"
"Gone to the White House, Ha, Ha, Ha!"

Dagonee
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I would've said 1828 myself...but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Of course, no one could be elected President today after even almost attacking a heckler...it'd be all over the news.

[ May 23, 2004, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Tres is right, voting, no matter which way is very important. Not to mention, people died so you can vote! Exercise your right
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goblin
Member # 6539

The idea of voting being important is sound, except for one minor flaw. The president is not chosen by popular vote, he is chosen by the electoral college, and even though they are supposed to vote the way we, the people vote, they do not have to. There are no rules to make them accountible to anyone. ( If you don't believe me, ask any good government teacher. They can tell you.)
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there are lots of rules. Most states make those people vote certain ways by law (possibly unconstitutional law, but details, details). And even if they aren't forced to vote a certain way, they'd be accountable in exactly the same way a directly elected president would be accountable.

Also, the electoral college is absolutely necessary. Imagine what happened in Florida happening in every state, in every moderately close election. Unless we were to completely overhaul our electoral process (likely moving to some sort of run off system combined with a required margin of victory), the electoral college must remain.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
election: deos it really matter?
Don't you mean: Deus it really matter?

That's hugely deep.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd be surprised, Bush Jr. is only the second worst President. His Supreme Dark POTUS Lord is of course Andrew Jackson.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can elect a lying, idiot, puppet of the skull and bones society or a lying, cheating, puppet of the skull and bones society. Does not sound like either choice is much different.
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always vote for me, of course...
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, you can elect a lying, idiot, puppet of the skull and bones society or a lying, cheating, puppet of the skull and bones society. Does not sound like either choice is much different.
...which was the message drilled home over and over again in the 2000 election. So long as Democrats believe neither candidate will work for reform, they'll stay away from the election. Aspectre has the right of this.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.