FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » terrorism; is the media helping us?

Author Topic: terrorism; is the media helping us?
goblin
Member # 6539

- posted      Profile for goblin           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one to notice this? Why is it that since 9/11, everytime anything happens anywhere in the world, the first thing they tell us is "it is not terrorist related". I don't know about anyone else, but I never think "oh my god, something bad happened. I hope it's not terrorist's attacking!" When they report a story, is it really necessary to mention terrorism every time? I think that just causes more fear, and that is what they want.
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it's just because no one wants Bush to bomb Poland if a train crashes somewhere on the northwest side of Chicago. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I don't think I have ever really agreed with much of what you have to say... And although I don't agree with the politics implied by your above comment, I feel compelled to say, dude, that was funny as hell! [Big Grin] (no sarcasm intended)

"... I think that just causes more fear, and that is what they want."

Too true. The media is benefitting from keeping people sared so that they will watch, or read, their news. What else is new?

My personal pet-peeve with the current media broadcasts is the running tally of those killed in Iraq. Notice that they don't mention, say Afghanistan (unless the soldier who died happened to be ex-football player)? Why is that? It just seems to be a bit biased to me. I feel like it is a political tool, not really about news to tell us every day what the running tally is. I get the feeling that it will be made into a big deal when the number reaches 1000.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Is this common household product killing your children as they sleep? If you watch one News 4 special report this year, make sure it's this one. Or your children will DIE!"
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true. I wasn't at all concerned about the rain last night till they stayed on the air for 2 straight hours, pre-empting all the season finales on CBS to tell us how terrifying it was going to be.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Is this common household product killing your children as they sleep? If you watch one News 4 special report this year, make sure it's this one. Or your children will DIE!"
Or: Doctor Dress Codes Killing Patients

[Evil]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I don't watch the news anymore.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I bet you Ostrich news would be popular.

They could record it once and play it every night:

"Just wanted you to know that everything is fine with the world. There are no conceivable threats to the uninterupred continuity of your existence. Butter is good for you, tans are healthy, and you there's nothing whatsoever to worry about."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
*ahem*

The Good News Network

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Go world!

[ROFL]

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
sndrake, if that site is legit (it is, right?), that is the best thing in the world! I hate watching the nightly news because it's only ever depressing. I have dreamed of starting a cable channel/show of only good news... But I'll just read this site instead!

-Bok

EDIT: Bah! The site maintainer stopped updating (to work for the Dean campaign, no less). Maybe they'll be back soon?

[ May 25, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
the goal of the media is not to help...their goal is to make money. They do that by having misleading clips durring TV shows so they can suck you into staying up and watching the news. I much prefer written news (mostly online) since you don't have to put up with as much crap. You read what you want to read when you want to read it. Of course they still editorialize the news, but it is better than on air news. Google news is a very handy tool.

My guess is in saying "it is not terrorism" gets people thinking about terrorism, and makes them wonder what if it is terrorism, how the officials know that it isn't, so they get sucked in to watch the broadcast.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree Goblin, but then again thats the medialite mentallity, if you can make a smaller story into a bigger one, do it!
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I listen to NPR. No "news magazine" TV shows (which seem to be the worst culprits of scare tactics). Most of the time I stay away from national news altogether. Heck, I don't even watch the local news, except for the public television "Vermont This Week" for a recap.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goblin
Member # 6539

- posted      Profile for goblin           Edit/Delete Post 
That is why I try not to watch the news. All they do anymore is try to get us all worked up. They talk about the same story until you are ready to become ill. I understand they are in it for the money, but what about journalistic integrety? Or has that gone the way of the dinosaur? [Dont Know]
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
there was a segment in bowling for columbine about this. i'm so utterly sick of hearing about terrorism and evildoers. lets go back to talking about commies, that was more fun...
Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the biggest problem is that, to date, there have surfaced no buxom Al-Qaeda women for James Bond to sleep with.
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.