FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Parole Board update - He was denied (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Parole Board update - He was denied
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugs to you, prayers for you, and I'll be thinking of you at 11 tomorrow.

The statement looks great. I agree with Dag, if you're going to be reading it don't change a thing.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag --

both.

I have to read it in front of them, and then submit it to them (hand it to them) for the record. (and I already practiced it -- I won't make it through without crying. The part I wrote yesterday I could have, but not with the other stuff I put in now).

Thanks for looking it over for me. Let me know what need to be changed/proofed for the submitted copy.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...

That was hard even for me to read... I wish you the best of luck in front of the board, and my condolences to you and your family...

As for what needs to be changed...

in the third paragraph, fourth sentence, 'every' should be 'ever'...

i think, in the first paragraph of the second page, it should read "still spontaneously thinking thoughts of murder" because if he were thinking of spontaneous murder, it wouldn't be spontaneous...

i think you should pluralize 'request' in the last paragraph...

i thought i saw more as i read, but thats all i caught the second time through. and those are just my opinion... (((((farmgirl)))))

[ May 26, 2004, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Damien ]

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Wow - that helps, Damien! Thanks a lot. I hate making little errors -- and when I read it I often don't catch my own mistakes.

I made those changes on my copy on my hard drive (but not on the one I loaded to the web -- too lazy) :-)

Thanks!
Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, after closer reading, I found these:

First paragraph, second page: "facing daily stresses" should be "facing daily stress".

In the same paragraph: "to show remorse or apologies to family" should be "to my family".

Third paragraph, first page: "Rainey thought nothing of walking over to his dying body". I'm not sure, but I think you wanted to say: "thought of nothing but walking over to his body", or something like this.

Fifth paragraph, first page: "who loving and patiently brushed". I think it should have been: "lovingly and patiently", as they are both adverbs.

Hope this helps.

(((Farmgirl)))

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I don't know if it matters or not, but you sometimes write "Daddy" with a capitalized "D" in the middle of a phrase, and sometimes just "daddy". Perhaps you should stick to just one form.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugs and prayers for you, FG. [Frown]

-Vána

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

gulp! A local radio DJ just called me and wants me to do a telephone interview with him (concerning the parole hearing) in about 1/2 an hour. *shakes*
This DJ I have great respect for, though -- he is actually their news director, and has been since clear back then. He was working the night daddy was killed and remembers it. I just hope whatever I say doesn't come out as gibberish.

Corwin -- yeah, the Daddy, daddy thing. I have trouble with that, and don't know which way I want to go. I know that properly the word "daddy" is not capitalized, but I feel like he was my DADDY (very important) so I keep fluctuating.
Thanks for the other edits - you are right on all counts.

Farmgirl

Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, as I said before, it probably doesn't even matter - the Daddy/daddy thing. And I understand why you'd use the capitalized form and I think so will the parole board. So just forget about it.

As for the interview, remember the love you have for your father and let it cover the pain. And if you DO cry, it's not such a problem.

Hope it all works out fine.
((((Farmgirl))))

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Grammatically, it's this way - if you say "my daddy" then daddy is uncapitalized. If you use daddy in place of a name, i.e. "Daddy was driving, etc." then Daddy is capitalized. Good luck Farmgirl; we're all thinking of you!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
((Farmgirl))
I can't imagine, nor do I ever want to imagine, what you are going through. You have my prayers.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
FG,

Here's my suggestions - I put them in the document with track changes on. Most were very small changes to break some of the longer sentences into more manageable chunks without changing your voice. I also fixed the daddy/Daddy issue. Let me know if when you get it and if you have any trouble with it so I can take it down off the site.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks, Dag.

Most of your corrections were right-on, and have been made.

I still am having problems with that whole ackward "spontaneous murder" thing. I might have to re-write that whole sentence.

Farmgirl

Corwin
Member # 5705

Farmgirl, how was the interview ?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

How about "thinking thoughts of unprovoked murder"?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

edit(this was in reply to Corwin)
----------------
It was scary - it was short.

He said I did fine. I think it was good that I had already worked on writing my comment document before, because that had helped formulate some of the words in my mind. When he called me the first time to request the interview, he let me know what kinds of questions he would ask, so I could prepare mentally.

But still, the question "what kind of man is (the perpetrator)" -- that was hard. I don't really KNOW the person that killed my dad -- I know what he did, and I know some things about him that I'm not supposed to know (from prison guards, etc). But I don't know him. So I had to fall back on my 'dangerous and unpredictable' as I wrote in my comments, and why I felt that way.

I haven't decided whether or not I will listen to it when he airs it tomorrow.

Farmgirl
p.s. -- Dag - in my comment document, should the word "bible" (he read to us from the bible) be capitalized? Is it supposed to always be The Bible?

[ May 26, 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sounds like you did fine on the interview. Tape it and listen to it after you make your presentation at the hearing. You don't need to be second guessing yourself about how you sound. You'll do fine, but doing fine doesn't mean you'll sound polished or professional. You'll sound genuine.

According to "http://www.usu.edu/communic/faculty/sweeney/ap.htm", "Bible -- Capitalize when you mean the black book in American hotel rooms everywhere. Lowercase when you use the term as slang for an authoritative source. Example: Elements of Style is my bible."

So yes, capitalize it.

Dagonee

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, FG. What a hard thing to go through. I will remember you in my prayers tonight, for you to have strength and clarity of mind and that the parole board's hearts will be softened toward you and keep this man in prison where he belongs.

This reminds me I need to find out when my f-i-l is up for parole so I can send in a statement and hopefully prevent his release. [Frown]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
FG, I haven't been posting, but I did read your request and I prayed for you yesterday and I'll pray for you today. I hope they keep him where he belongs and that you can have some measure of peace (until the next time he's up, unfortunately).
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelina
Member # 6573

- posted      Profile for Angelina   Email Angelina         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl,

I just can't imagine...what a horrifying injustice...how have you survived it? It breaks my heart, and you have all of our support for tomorrow.

Kisses and hugs,
Angie

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Farmgirl,

Hope everything went OK today. Keep us posted on what happens.

Dagonee

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

UPDATE

Okay -- you would think by now (July 28th) there would be an answer I could share with all of you. After all, the parole hearing was the last week of May!

I have been calling Topeka each week to the KDOC to find out if the parole board has made a decision.

The latest update: The parole decision is on "continuance" (hold) while they await a psychiatric report on him. Whether this is a normal report that they just didn't receive, or whether this is a special report that the parole board requested, I do not know.

The waiting continues...... I just didn't want you to think I never let you know the outcome..

Farmgirl

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Farmgirl)))))
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Farmgirl))) I hadn't read the middle part of this thread yet, and your link to the longer document is gone.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the update. Hopefully there will be some movement on this soon.

(Farmgirl)

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Farm - I'll keep a good thought for you.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks everyone.

pooka -- yeah, I took the document off my web site. However, I noticed that the copy Dagonee links to above (the document with his suggested changes) still works if you want to read it...

Farmgirl

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, I'm sorry about that FG. Do you want me to remove it? I meant to and forgot.

And sorry about the continued waiting. I walked by the Law Enforcement Officers' Memorial in DC every day at work this summer, and thought of you and what you went through.

Dagonee

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Dag -- did you see my dad's name on the memorial? I have been there once -- for only about 5 minutes (a bus was waiting on me....) Cool that you got to walk by it every day!

Farmgirl

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I looked it up but didn't find it on the actual memorial. I thought about making a rubbing, since he's the only name I know at all on it, but never actually did it.

I did eat lunch out there on one of our casual Fridays. It's awe-inspiring, especially considering how many officers lost their life in "routine" traffic stops. They really put it all on the line every day.

Dagonee

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the parole hearing goes well for you, and they keep the guy locked up.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Farmgirl))))
Praying for him to stay locked up. I hope you find out very soon.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, I believe that this @$#@ should stay behind bars where he is a bit less likely to harm others.

However, Romanylas, I find the idea of praying for someone to stay locked up a bit, well, not right.

It would be like praying for someone to get hurt.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Wink] okay, then we will just pray for God's will; Okay, Dan?

Farmgirl

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I think I put it as "Justice for the murderer and protection for society."

However God wants to provide that is fine with me.

Dagonee

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be wonderful if murderous felons were prone to experiencing an epiphany that changed the course of their life. Unfortunately I believe that this happens rarely. I have no qualm with those that pray for violent criminals to stay behind bars. In my most charitable mood I would pray for them to have that epiphany I mentioned earlier and accept their time behind bars while using their new insight to help those that are less inspired.

Edit to correct a couple of misspellings.

[ July 28, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

UPDATE - Friday, July 30th.

Just got off the phone with Molly of Kansas Department of Corrections Victims Services. The parole board finally made a decision..

They denied him parole.

But they only upheld a "pass-over" of 3 years (2007) instead of our requested 10. Meaning he comes up for parole again in three years.

Now - something else happened. Molly says, "I want you to know that at Victim Services we have something called an "apology repository" where criminals can write a letter of apology to the family, and we hold it here until a family ASKS about if there is an apology on file. Of course, most families don't even know this exists, so they don't know to ask. But I just wanted you to know it is here in case you ask.

I got the hint.

I said, "Molly, is there an apology on file for our case?" and she said, "yes, we just received it. It is new."

So now I have to get with family members and see how they want to handle this. Do they want to read the apology (I'm sure they will). Which of us should it go to, to read it first and then pass it around? <SIGH> It makes me nervous.

Farmgirl

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Woa... crazy...

In my non-involved way I'm very curious to see what he wrote...but I can't even imagin what you are thinking about it...

What are you feeling about this Farmgirl? Are you curious or would rather forget about the letter and him or you want him to apologize or to see that he's suffering?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm extremely curious. I have no nerves about what is in the letter -- just about how my family will handle it.

I've always been interested in getting an insight into his mind because we really know so little about him -- he's quite a loner and very unreadable.

Of course, I also am skeptical and felt he probably just wrote it out of "duty" to increase his chances of getting parole next time, and probably at the recommendation of his psyc. But we had pointed out at the parole hearing that he had made NO overtures toward remorse or regret, so maybe when they pointed that out to him, he thought he better get it on file...

Farmgirl

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been skeptical of apology letters as everyone who thinks a display of sincerity will mitigate punishment.

I'd be more impressed if someone expressed remorse, pled guilty and accepted the full weight of sentence.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that this is a prayer come true, but I don't know how that would sound.

It is good news that his parole was denied.

the letter should be interesting. Wether its truthful or not is another question.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered putting a book together of these apology letters. I am sure getting permission would be a challenge, but I am triply sure that it would sell.

I can see the title right now. "Sorry I killed you. No, really, I am."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Farmgirl))) I'm glad the Parole Board kept hime locked up, but sad that you'll have to go through this every 3 years.

I, too am curious about what he wrote in the letter. Of course I've always been fascinated by the workings of the criminal mind. Maybe I'm weird.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Farmgirl, it's a relief that his parole was denied, although I wish it had been for the decade you requested. Let us know how it goes with the letter.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

You know -- when/if I get to see the letter, I just might post it (in whole or in part) here to get feedback from all of you. It would be interesting...

Farmgirl

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
glad that he did not get paroled

It seems rather insincere that the apology letter showed up right after a parole hearing where you said he had not apologized. It does sound like he simply wanted to improve his chances of getting out. Hell, chances are his lawyer wrote the letter and he just signed it.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Farmgirl))))

I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I'm glad its over and you don't have to deal with it again for three more years. It seems your speech touched his heart [Smile]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad that parole was denied. Good luck with making your decision about the letter. [Kiss]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
(((FG)))

I am glad that justice was upheld in this matter.

I wish you and your family every strength while dealing with the letter - although from what I've seen of you strength is one thing you don't lack. ((FG))

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

((FG))

I'm glad he's still locked up. It sucks that you have to go back in 3 years, but it's amazing you can find the strength to do this over and over again.

Dagonee

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.