FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Told My Boss

Author Topic: I Told My Boss
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
to fire me today.

No really - I did.

The last I was aware, going to work meant going to work and doing your job in a timely, efficient, effective manner. No problem. I routinely receive praise from the stakeholders I work with for my conscientious and diligent approach to my duties. For the high-quality of my work and my energy and my passion. The staff I work with are all dedicated professionals who also have a sense of humor and enjoy a good laugh as well as "passion" in plenty for the work they do. This has never been a problem (until . . . )

My boss (she started in December) has told me monthly that I am "too reactive" or "too over-emotional" and that I need to be more like this other person in the office. She told me that one too many times, so I pared my office space down to bare essentials with just a few plants and a Nathan picture (last week), and put on what I call the "exquisitely professional" facade (others might call it "ice-queen" but that's okay.

She informed me that she didn't like that either. I was being "unprofessional". I told her my work was professional, my comportment was professional, and her opinion as to my personality was her own.

The discussion continued along these lines until I told her "I am who I am and if that doesn't suit - fire me." And went back to my office.

So - job openings anyone?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
You could specially create unique ways for people who want to quit their jobs. Like making one of those toy gun things with the flag that unfurls when you pull the trigger it could say something to the effect of "Bang! I quit!" you could mass produce these and make MILLIONS!
Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...did she fire you?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

She can't. I'm a permanent employee and it takes an act of God to do such a thing. I anticipate some interesting times ahead, however.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. If I were in the same position, a multi-kiloton explosion would burst forth from my forehead. No. Really. I can't stand people who cannot be pleased.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked for people like that, too. I ended up quitting with no notice, started my own business, and within three months, was making three times as much money in one third of the time with 1/10th the hassles as that, uh, person. Sometimes, there's nothing you can do to make them happy, so why bother trying? Just do your job in your usual excellent manner and let her suck on that.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

*sigh*

Oh well - the last time I really got ticked off at a boss was in 95' - I threw the dishtowel at the man (rather a crude and sexually harassing a-hole) and told him to f*** off.

At least I was more graceful this time - must be the college education. [Roll Eyes]

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
You could give your boss that disgusting angel figurine you were trying to unload a while back.

Get some really dark sunglasses and put them on whenever your boss confronts you on a personal level. Practice your stone face.

My wife has had two such bosses. They get their jollies messing with your head and watching the look on your face. You don't owe the witch an answer or a look.

It's easier being a guy. If the boss messes with your head, you silently pass gas and leave the cubicle.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
But women can do it, too. We just don't do it as smelly. [Mad]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

skillery said:

quote:
It's easier being a guy. If the boss messes with your head, you silently pass gas and leave the cubicle.
[ROFL]

I'm gonna practice that one! I've got three days to perfect it. Whaddya think? Can I do it?

[Evil Laugh]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Three days to master a skill that takes a lifetime to learn?

Nah.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Son of Priam:

You want to keep that idea? If not, I'm going to design a gun that does that, patent it, and market it.

LMK! [Smile]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
shan,

what do you like about your job? what are you trying to get out of it?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
ANd you'll be sued all day long by bosses who were "tramatised" by the sight of employees who carry a gun-like object to work.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, we must have been twins in previous lives. I just quit my job. [Smile]

I am so scared it is not even funny...

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep breaths, Beren. Being unemployed sucks, but it's just temporary, I'm sure. And now you'll have the time to come to the Shinda on Sunday, right?

Good luck job hunting.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

*takes a deep breath*

Thanks Rivka, for always finding that silver lining. [Kiss]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Karma's an odd thing, Beren - rivka's right. Now you have time to have fun, so why don't you pack your jammies and come for a visit?

(Fresh asparagus, chocolate chip cookies, . . . )

Fallow - what do I like about my job or what DID I like about my job? Lots and lots and lots of things.

And the "Bang - I quit" idea was given to ME!!!!

vwiggin
Member # 926

Like I'm really going to visit you while you are training for your "silent gas" technique. [Razz]

Shan, you know how much respect I have for the work that you do. It really upsets me to hear your boss treating you this way. [Frown]

But at least the stakeholders appreciate you. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]

I love when I say something selfish and someone thinks I'm doing something good like seeing silver linings. [Big Grin]

So does that mean you'll join us on Sunday? I get to meet the elusive Beren? *bounces* Say yes!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Sorry Rivka and Shan, I'll have to take a raincheck on those invites. [Cry]

I can no longer afford my apartment so I'll be pretty busy the next few weeks finding a new apartment and selling off my stuff on ebay (how much do you think I can get for a never-used rowing machine?)

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Shan. [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

[Frown] Ouch.

What area and price-range are you looking for? I'll keep my eyes/ears open, although I suspect you're looking far enough from my stomping grounds that I won't be of much help.

Good luck!

Shan
Member # 4550

Now see here, young man! [No No]

As if I'd make you suffer through my attempts at the silent gas treatment. Jeesh! What kind of gal do you think I am?

Just remember - elusiveness only gets you solitude. [Razz]

If you'd like a job as housekeeper/resident legal staff for burgeoning attorneys (aka - Nathan) I'd pay ypu handsomely. How's room and board sound, with every third Tuesday off? Well - maybe every second Tuesday . . .

I am sorry, Beren - you've indicated a few different times that you were not happy with your job. I'll send "perfect job" thoughts your way. [Smile]

vwiggin
Member # 926

Shan, I've always wanted Zonker Harris' job. [Big Grin]

I don't need every second Tuesdays off but I do need every Tuesday nights off to watch Gilmore Girls.

Thanks for the offer Rivka. I'm looking for 1 bedroom short term leases around the San Gabriel area. Where are your stomping grounds?

rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. Not there, I'm afraid. Let me put it this way -- to me "the Valley" means San Fernando, and I only make it over there occasionally. I live in L.A. proper. [Wink]

And since you already have CraigList linked from your blog, I'm afraid I have no suggestions. Sorry. [Dont Know]

Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's your boss's way of .. flirting?

*Ducks*

~Sir Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck, Shan. I would anticipate that if you decide to stay, you will be there far longer than your present boss...

I recently sent my boss an email concerned about my yearly raise, which was 0.94%. My partner and I were concerned because our raise this year was under a new scale and system, and our raises were not even matching inflation.

I then realized that I made a simple math error, and had not finished calculating my raise, which happened to be a little more than 6%. Naturally, this was after I sent the scathing email.

Gulp.

Good thing I am the Teflon Man...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

[Big Grin]

Ah - teflon! The wonder coating against all ills . . .

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.