FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me make my birthday list

Author Topic: Help me make my birthday list
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
My birthday's coming up, and I need a list. What I need help with is a list of books. I've read almost nothing but sci-fi and fantasy this year, and I want something a little different for the summer. So, who has suggestions for books? Keep in mind that I'll have to narrow it down to about five because if I ask for more than that my mom complains that my list is too "boring" and I need more "fun stuff." So, any books that you'd like to recommend, the fluffier the better since I'll be reading it during my time off at camp.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Universe
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe even The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Solar System.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Back of My Car?
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
She said she DIDN'T want SF/Fantasy! [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
lol! I actually have been meaning to read those though. I just wanted something a little different for over the summer.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of reading them and they are hilarious!
Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
YA books? Any particular topic -- romance, adventure, horses . . . ?

Pending your answers, I recommend whatever Enid Blyton books are currently available in the US and L'Engle's Austins series.

[Edit: wow! Lots more Blyton stuff available than there used to be. And some is for young kids -- never read those. Aim for the ones with the word "Five" [addit: or "Seven"!] in the title.]

[ May 30, 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Hitchhikers Guide to Europe?
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I haven't read much in the way of YA stuff in the past two years or so, for two basic reasons:
1) Since I started reading OSC and other sci-fi stuff there's been no real reason to venture past the third row of the book store.
2) I'd been getting kind of fed up with how insanely flakey that stuff is. Some of it's good, but it's like some others are thinking, "Hey, I don't really have a plot or developed characters, why don't I just claim it's YA?"

That said, if anyone has any suggestions that happen to be in the YA section, I'll read them.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest "Lonesome Dove," if you've never read it. I figured I would hate it, but instead I loved it. The characters in it are wonderful, and it has lots of action as well. If you like it, there is also a prequel, which I just read and loved as much as the original. I'm getting ready to start on the third one. Anyway, it's a meaty book that's a fun read.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Get the complete collection of PG Wodehouse's published works. If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Dickens! Dickens! Dickens!!

I recommend Nicholas Nickleby and Oliver Twist. Those are my two favorites.

I also highly recommend anything by CS Lewis, including the Screwtape Letters and the Space Trilogy (even though it's SciFi...kind of. [Smile] )

Those are all really pretty things for your collection. There are several really nice-looking collections of Edgar Allan Poe short fiction and poetry. I just got an old used collection of Mark Twain stuff and it's wonderful. I also recommend the short fiction of O. Henry. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My non-SciFi suggestions:

Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear--the rest of the series drops of swiftly, but the first one is good.

James Michener's books for solid Historical fiction. And they are a good value, at penny per page rate. They usually log in at about 1000 pages each.

Gore Vidal is a bit grown up book, delving into the seemier sides of life. "Creation" was the most cynical book I've ever read. "Burr" and "Lincoln" are both good. Stay away from "Myra Breckenridge" if your mother is buying it.

Mysteries are great. I enjoy rediscovering Agatha Christie and anything by her. Ellery Queen is designed to get your brain going. Even Asimov's "Murder at the ABBA" is interesting, if you are in any way interested in a career in writing.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I second L'Engle.

I really like Barbara Kingsolver ( The Poisonwood Bible is probably the most literary - all the others are lighter, but very enjoyable. I especially recommend Prodigal Summer and The Bean Tree )

Others... well I think Tony's books are very good. [Big Grin] Not that I'm biased. Or trying to do my best to extend their sales to the American market...

[ May 31, 2004, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

These all sound great! Thanks, I'll definitely ask for a bunch of them.
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Eats, Shoots and Leaves-- Lynne Truss
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.