FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Joining the bandwagon . . .

Author Topic: Joining the bandwagon . . .
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't take the peer pressure anymore. I wanted to be cool like everyone else. But mostly, I wanted my own place to rule with an iron fist, a place where I could rant about grammar and historical linguistics and other miscellaneous crap.

So yeah. I have a forum now. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

PS: Since I've just switched web hosts (and since I haven't gotten the vital email containing FTP information), my site is temporarily down. But since no one visits it anyway, this shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
And there was I thinking it was going to be a pregnancy announcement!

Well, congrats on your forum anyhow.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Why does everyone assume that if a newlywed it making an announcement, it's about a baby? Sheesh.

Though if there's enough peer pressure, we just might succumb to that, too. [Cue ominous music.]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there does seem to be a spate of Hatrack babies at the moment.

And I knew it couldn't be the conversion wagon... unless you've something to tell us?

[Smile]

Incidentally, Tony and I are getting the baby question now - and the wedding's still 7 months away!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
It was terrifying enough being at my eldest brother's wedding and having all the old ladies peer at the remaining 2 sons and speculate on who'd be the next to fall. The old coots were probably betting their false teeth on it.

Baby questions would be even more unsettling.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Just what we need, another forum to join.

Thanks a bunch, Jon. [Grumble] [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the desire to avoid peer pressure is exactly why I never announced my forum on this site. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
::checks out Tom's forum:: [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean I could have a really low member number on TWO forums if I sign up now? [Eek!]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
::checks out Tom's forum::
Is that what kids are calling it these days?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Our members have made a total of 12 posts
We have 9 registered members
The newest member is AFR
Most users ever online was 9 on Jun 3 2004, 08:52 PM

You gotta start somewhere. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
yes! at last a place to allow my rabid jon boy fangirlism to roam free.

The Cheat has a forum! A parade for The Cheat!

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I thought you let your rabid Jon Boy fangirlism roam free everywhere.
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! I'm there, JB!
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Velvet site, Velvet J!

I am so there.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, the desire to avoid peer pressure is exactly why I never announced my forum on this site.
Way to announce it without announcing it, there. [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom has a forum? Well, he never announced it!
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Way to announce it without announcing it, there.
Yeah, just what I was thinking. More like:
quote:
You know, the desire to avoid peer pressure is exactly why I never announced my forum on this site. [Smile]

PS: Come to my forum!

[/attention whore]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Bwahahahah! Well put [Big Grin]

I dunno what it is with people and fora. I have a website -- very much a work in progress, since I use it mostly as a convenient storage space -- but absolutely no desire to host and administer a forum on it. What made you want to start one?

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

fangirl celia60 cannot post. she hasn't received a validation email.

i can take a hint. i know when i'm not wanted.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
What made you want to start one?
Like I said, the desire to fit in and be cool.

No, seriously, I mostly wanted a forum for English- and linguistic-related stuff. And I figured I should include a place for babble and discussion and whatnot, too.
quote:
i can take a hint. i know when i'm not wanted.
Patience, fangirl celia. If you haven't received one in a few hours, I'll see what I can do.
celia60
Member # 2039

ah, yes, because patience is one of my virtues. it's already been hours!

edit: yes i did try clicking the resend validation link and it said that it did.

oh, and i'm always willing to mod low traffic places. [Big Grin]

[ June 04, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Some day there will be so many forums that we'll all just be stuck talking to ourselves in our cold, lonely, forum homes. Either that or some sort of natural selection will happen and only the strongest forums will survive. Frankly, I don't like my odds in that contest.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*contemplates the emptiness of it all*

*eats saxon's forum*

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually hate all the other forums. That's how Hatrack dies - everyone goes into their corners. It's like what happened to small Southern towns when air conditioning, cars, and television arrived. Come on! Rumbles in the park! I like that! [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It's not joining a bandwagon! It's everyone taking their ball and going home. [Frown]

[ June 04, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
New Poll at Galactic Cactus [Wink]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

And yet you were one of the first to sign up, Katie. [Razz]

Honestly, my goal is not to take anything away from Hatrack or anywhere else. My goal is just to have my own place, too.

saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
I actually hate all the other forums.
That's OK, Katie, we all hate you too. [Wink]
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That's what all the people with air conditioners, cars, and televisions said.

And I was the first to sign up because you wanted a place of your own, you're my friend, and I'm a member of the TDNS.

---

saxy: No Skittles for you.

[ June 04, 2004, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Cool. I don't really care for Skittles anyway.
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Question to Jon Boy: Was it hard/easy to set up the Invision? what level service did you buy? Any tips for other forum wannabes? Did you compare with (open source) PostNuke? Anyone else here have advice on easy/cheap forum and related functionality for one's own domain? TIA.

-John VP

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Katie: TDNS?

And do you really feel like other forums kill Hatrack? I'm not trying to lure people away, and I would actually be quite disappointed if my forum somehow stole from Hatrack. I think people are perfectly capable of frequenting multiple forums without sucking the life out of one.

John: It was totally easy. My web host has a really spiffy control panel, so all I really had to do was log in and click on "install forum." It's the free version of Invision Power Board, and no, I didn't really compare it to anything else.

[ June 05, 2004, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Drupal is easily the best freely available CMS out there.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.