FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deep Mysteries

Author Topic: Deep Mysteries
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
The warehouse of mysterious secrets

This is clearly the place shown at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I find many of the entries hilarious--and there are several references to lime jello, too! Take a look...if you dare.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty neat.

EDIT: I added this

A small black, unimpressive ball, larger than a pool ball but heavier and apparently made of marble. When you pick up the ball, however, your notice your shadow beginning to move in ways that it shouldn't... For one thing, it seems to stare around itself and then examine its own limbs as though it was amazed.

[ June 09, 2004, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird! Hey is this a reference to Star Trek?

quote:
The Voyager 11 probe, looking very battered, and pock-marked with micrometeor impacts. The record and plaque are missing from the craft, as is the computer. Pictures show it was recovered from a farm in Iowa, two years after it had left the solar system.
I mean, it's the wrong Voyager probe and all, but the farm in Iowa...hmm...
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this one:

quote:
A small golden container with the words "Project M1 D45" scratched in the surface of the lid. Inside is a shriveled severed finger. The first five things which touch the finger will be transmuted into gold.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Check out the dumpster! It's hilarious!

quote:
An antipope. If applied to a real pope it explodes instantly.
By the way, can anyone explain the fact that many of the descriptions reference die rolls? This doesn't LOOK like an RPG resource site, but ...
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Okay, these entries are definitely using the GURPS system. They don't name denominations of dice, and look at this:

quote:
A TL8 needler with an extremely weird ammo receptacle. It uses ice-cream as ammo - nothing else will work. Just spoon it in! Wounds caused by this gun drive forensics people nuts....
This site just gets weirder the longer I spend there.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Holy crap, the best one yet:

quote:
A large, friendly dog. Within a few days, the dog will develop stomach problems and vomit out a smaller dog, less friendly but otherwise completely healthy. A few days later, the smaller dog grows sick and vomits forth an even smaller, angrier dog. This continues.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

A detailed plan for the creation of mindless slaves from the ordinary citizenry. The plan includes a description of the device used for the transformation, which is a flat black wafer roughly 3.5 inches on a side. Included with the plan is a box of free trial diskettes from a large online service.

That explains a lot ... only wouldn't it be CD's by now?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
In the FAQ:

Can I use these items in my games?
Feel free. That's why some of them include game stats

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved this one

quote:
A large stack of computer printout with "Suppress" stamped on every page. Each page is covered in numbers starting with 3.14... On the last page are scrawled the words "It stops after a billion digits! Yes!" Beneath the writing is a large bloodstain. The last digits are 6667.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
The website is hosted by Steve Jackson Games, the company that publishes GURPS. It wasn't all that relevant to the contents (in my mind), so I didn't think to mention it. SJ Games uses the Illuminati and their hidden secrets as a humorous attention-getter for their games.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
My bedroom is a DEEP mystery...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I like this one:

A hat you lost in third grade. It is labelled "People's Exhibit A." The rest of the crate contains scalpels.

EDIT: and this one: A small $2.50 bag of gummi bears. Of the 54 bears contained therein, 53 have small chunks torn from their throats. The last is slightly larger than the others, and faintly smiling.

EDIT: Man, I keep finding good ones.

A three-foot long, 5-inch diameter cardboard tube. It is apparently normal in every way. If someone puts it over their shoulder and makes a "whoosh" noise, an anti-tank missile is fired from the tube. The tube only works once.

[ June 10, 2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
lol

edit: I was laughing at the bears

space opera

[ June 10, 2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I remember one was:

"Several photographs of a familiar blue-suited, red caped wearing figure. They depict him fighting Nazis, Koreans, and destroying Vietnamese tanks with red laser beams from his eyes. A note is enclosed reading, "The robot seems to work well, but there's a problem with control. Other versions are needed."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.