FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ack, get this off my computer!

Author Topic: Ack, get this off my computer!
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

- posted      Profile for JohnKeats           Edit/Delete Post 
www.wavexpress.com

My computer was an inheritence from an Apple user and this TV THING is on my computer. It automatically downloads stuff and I want to get rid of it... it even shows up in the "Other" tray in My Computer (I'm running XP) as "Wavexpress Cache". I want to get rid of the damn thing but it doesn't show up in add/remove programs and I can't find uninstall instructions anywhere on their site.

Help!

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Have you looked in the "Startup" directories?

And don't forget the "All USers" startup:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

as well as your own USERNAME startup directory.

It may be that it's just a free-standing executable, and is not otherwise "installed."

One of my favorite low-level (very low-level) hacks is to rename the directory containing the offensive app (or the app iteself) by appending "KILL_ME_" on the front, and see what crashes or complains.

There are other, darker places the startup commands can be hiding, but try these (above) first.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Good lord, there's no way I would have found the uninstall file without your help. There ought to be some kind of programming etiquette to avoid situations like this.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4350 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnKeats
Member # 1261

Of course I apparently have an "account" and can't uninstall unless I'm online. Must move toward wireless hub...
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest getting a firewall, if you get a good one you can have it stop specific programs from accesing the internet, and then this turns into just an irritation instead of an all out hunt for an uninstall file. You can get ZoneAlarm as freeware at webattack.com, I highly suggest it.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.