FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Cliques (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack Cliques
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. You'll just have to come to KamaCon for it to be official. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, thanks for the support.

Actually I owe you an apology for misleading you. We were joking around in a thread a couple of months ago about Punxsutawney Phil and Groundhog Day, and I must have left you with the impression that I was "fil" or "fileted" or whatever. Sorry. February 2004 is as far back as I go here at Hatrack. But I'm glad to know you anyhow.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I would come to KamaCon, but I have State Fair leadership conference that weekend, which is supposedly a major honor. Sorry. I will have to have fugu, blacwolve, and raia say I am real.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is just evidence that I've been in grad school too long. As soon as I saw it I thought mmm graphs!

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CliqueNumber.html

http://www.phatnav.com/wiki/wiki.phtml?title=Clique

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You need help.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, I'm sorry, but email, snail mail, video conferencing, and telephone calls do not count. Only real, live, face-to-face contact counts.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Saxon, I feel that that this policy is highly unfair. However, if the Western Mass. get-together happens, I will be real.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
skrika, you can still be in the clique. It's just that without "Bug City" you can't be in the inner clique of the clique. It's a complicated clique with many levels.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean if?

Oh yea of little faith...

I was about to mention it as a plug when you brought it up, actually.

But then again, I'm already "real",... [Taunt]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
Saxy, I thought it was only if you met two other REAL Hatrackers? Who had, obviously, already met two other Hatrackers? [Confused]

If what you said is true, though, I can be real! [Razz]

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Realness is like a virus. It can only be passed on by someone who had it first.

I'm a carrier. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I am completely unreal. Does, having met someone and not known it, count as real? I mean, I probably bumped into one or two of you at an OSC books signing.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a troll in a monkey suit, that is really a troll suit full of squirrels.
So maybe i'm my own clique? Damn myself!

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Real. I met rivka and PapaMoose. And I signed the Hatrack River book. yay, go me!

(if that doesnt make me real, blame them, for feeding me false facts)

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*nods vigorously*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, Rivka and Damien, may I meet you? [Razz]
Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

Fine by me. ^_^
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

YESyesYESyesYESyesYES! *bounces*
Damien
Member # 5611

o_O
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
OoOoOoOoOoOoOo, bouncy Rivka! Woowoo! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Please ! I met Corwin, and he's the only Hatracker in France ! It SHOULD count ! Or at last OSC should come in France juste once !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Saxy, I thought it was only if you met two other REAL Hatrackers? Who had, obviously, already met two other Hatrackers?
If that's the case, then surely no-one can be real...
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. As there would be no way for the first REAL Hatracker to come into existence. I think we need to modify the rules...
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember having a discussion like this back in high school. We basically defined it as a group of friends who hang out to the exclusion of everyone else. Those of us with semi-open groups or who traveled between groups didn't mind admitting the groups were there and sometimes unfair to newcomers. The ones in the closed groups were the ones claiming there were no cliques at all.

Just my two cents.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but no one with a member date above 4000 is allowed to speak directally to us...

So offically you didn't say anything at all... [Taunt]

If you REALLY need to speak, find a liason somewhere around the 3500 level....if they will speak to you. that is.... [Evil]

[ June 10, 2004, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy the first "real" hatrackers were made such by OSC, quite simple actually.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash declared himself real, once. I think that if we start at people he's met and work our way out...I might not be a figment of AJ's overactive imagination.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

but I was enjoying you as a figment!
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
So then, would meeting OSC and making at least 1 post on Hatrack be an alternative means of becoming REAL? Or has it mutated and now that's no longer a viable method of transmission?
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I guess the other option is to start at EnderCon where most people met for the first time, which included OSC and work out from there.

AJ

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
So, since I met at least 10 Hatrackers before I ever registered here, does that mean I was never imaginary?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Skillery isn't fil? [No No] I reserve this frowney for special occasions.

It's amazing how finding out that what you thought you knew about someone isn't true really reframes everything they say.

Fie on you, skillery.

fil was a person who coincidentally registered near the same time as filleted (now known as fallow). People mistook them for each other, and he left after folks dragged complaints about fallow into a conversation we were having about home school to question his credentials. It was kind of ugly. As hatrack goes, anyway.

I felt responsible for advancing the notion that they are the same person (because I thought they were the same person) because I conversed with them both a lot because we were all new at the same time. I called them both fil.

I don't suppose this was intentional on your part. I seem to recall you joined hatrack around the time that OSC fan was very active, which is why I "accused" you of being filleted.

Well, anyway. Just goes to show you never really know anyone. No one is real.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I don't think it is just "meeting" OSC, he has to know who you are as well. I mean he signs gazillions of books, of course he doesn't remember everyone.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

I do think the rise of AIM has tended to create more cliques, simply because there is a smaller amount of the important friendship-creating conversations on the board.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

ElJay, logically, yes, you were never imaginary.

AJ

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with that Kat. But so has the frqequency of shinda's and such.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
complaints about fallow
No way! Fallow is my hero. Although I wish he'd post sober once in awhile.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

A personal pet peeve of mine is that sometimes the important stuff doesn't actually get posted on Hatrack. I mean I support all of the side forums that people have, but I tend to be mostly monogamous to Hatrack. I don't have time to check all the others and do some work... even though I think I actually am registered on most of them.(Though not philotic web)

Like for example, I knew from Hatrack Kama was upset the other day but I didn't know why. It wasn't till I went to sakeriver (or was it GreNME) a couple days later that I found out that she broke up with her bf.

AJ

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I met most of my favorite Hatrackers at the Feb 20 gathering at DKWs.

But I still would like to meet the Mooses and OSC.

So I still wish I could make it to KamaCon

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I have to say that I only post the really, really personal stuff on GreNME. That's because fewer go there, it's more tightly moderated, and John carries an Uzi.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
i just don't like posting personal stuff at all. anywhere. heck, i don't even write my own landmarks!

i did sort of let more stuff leak out over on saxy's forum, but i think that's blown up in my face. back to non-entity status please.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
But the REALLY important stuff DOES get posted here, AJ.

Check out:

Important Thread #1
Important Thread #2

Important Thread #3

Important Thread #4

[ June 10, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it gets back to whether folks bonding excludes others. It would be a pretty boring world.

I do belong to the "AIM is the devil" clique.

I belong to the "not embarassed by their LSAT score" clique. Even if I can't remember what my score actually was.

I profess to be a Daghead, which is a clique of two as far as I know.

I'm on CT's list, though I have no idea what that means.

I play mafia every chance I get, but I'm so bad at it, I'm kind of in the "pathetic, strung out mafia" clique rather than the "loves mafia" clique.

And Bok dedicated a thread to me. [Kiss]

Anyway, I guess I can't let the folks who squish me have more power than the folks that that have tried to build me up. I just get confused with folks do both.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People mistook them for each other, and he left after folks dragged complaints about fallow into a conversation we were having about home school to question his credentials. It was kind of ugly. As hatrack goes, anyway.
Actually, in that thread, I dragged in complaints I had about fallow not to question fil's credentials, but because I had found them both to be extremely rude, and their identical snarky posting style and similar names confused me into thinking they were both the same person. And I don't know that it was all that ugly. Heck, I even apologized for the misunderstanding, though fil was the one who suggested that people who felt as I did had no business teaching and no real commmittment to the job. And nobody really dogpiled him either.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have to say that I only post the really, really personal stuff on GreNME. That's because fewer go there, it's more tightly moderated, and John carries an Uzi.
Exactly. Plus, I know the people who post there, so it's ok if they advise me on serious stuff. I wouldn't like such advice from someone I don't even realise exists on Hatrack, no matter how cool they end up to be.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
The rules for being real are as I have stated them. I'm sorry if that inconveniences anyone, but I didn't make them up. You could always appeal to the Lizard King if you'd like to have them changed (here is where he started the whole thing) but these days he's not on Hatrack anymore, so you'd have to come to his new official home in order to make your appeal.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to plug sakeriver, saxy. [Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a lurker’s perspective. I have always been a lurker, really, even before the Internet gave me places like forums to hone my lurking skills. Playgrounds in elementary school, the cafeteria in middle school – I was the one hanging back, looking longingly at the groups that so easily formed and wondering what the secret handshake must be. I’m shy. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not miserable this way. I’m a grownup. I’m happy in small groups of people. I’m comfortable in my skin. It is just not easy for me to join a new “group”.

This is my own baggage I carry with me to a place like Hatrack. It is just how I am.

But. The community here is harder for someone like me to break into. It sometimes feels like moving to a new school in sixth grade. People don’t push you away, of course. They’re very welcoming. But most of them were in the same kindergarten class together and remember the scary substitute from second grade and the terrible birthday party that Brucie’s mom threw at the truck stop… That’s not a clique, at all, obviously. But it is not easy to be a new sixth grader.

Silly personal and somewhat embarrassing example: when a bunch of hatrackers started playing scrabble at games.com, I thought, “Hey! I’m a scrabble player! Maybe that’s an area of common ground. I’ll pop on over to games.com.” (Unfortunately, I think when a lurker shows up in a context like that, it’s actually a little creepy.) But that’s in retrospect. Anyway, I watched a little scrabble, didn’t say much, and went back to my comfortable lurking role. The point is: I wanted to join in. No, I didn’t lay awake nights thinking about it. It’s “just” a forum. But it’s also a community, a vibrant growing interconnected family, and who WOULDN’T want to be a part of a place like this?

I guess my point – if I actually have one – is that people who speak of cliques may just be standing wistfully on the outside edges thinking what fun it looks like in here. Maybe they’re just wishing they were more a part of things.

P.S. I am real. I was at Boot Camp last year, which means I met ScottR and OSC and the rest of the bootcampers (not sure which of us post here). I may be a lurker, but I exist!

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Sharpie, for what it's worth, whenever I see a post of yours I think "Oh, cool, Sharpie's back!". Your posts are pretty rare, but I always make a point of reading them.

Celia, I must have missed it when things blew back in your face over at Sakeriver. I'm not sure what happened, but I hope I wasn't a part of it. I'm glad that you showed more of yourself over there though; you're one of those hatrackers that I actually think of as a friend.

I definitely let my hair down more over at Sakeriver than I do here at Hatrack, for much the same reason as kat does at GreNME. Sakeriver is actually the first forum I check each morning (followed by GreNME, followed by Hatrack). I haven't gotten in the habit of visiting Jonboy's forum yet, and the one time I checked out Madowl it looked pretty close to moribund. I keep meaning to check it out again, but I always forget.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Talking about other forums, whatever happened to Tick and gamesmaq?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.