FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grumpy Pharmacist (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Grumpy Pharmacist
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So last night I had to go get two scripts filled (lamictal, both of them). One I'd dropped off a week and a half ago, the other I dropped off that day.

I waited at the drop off counter, quietly and patiently, for ten minutes as the pharmacist and all his helpers ignored me. Someone at the pickup line told one of the techs that I'd been waiting for some time. Tech reminded pharmacist to grab the script from me.

He looked none too happy. He went through the standard questions of "Have you had a script filled here before? What's your date of birth."

Then he said, "It's going to be awhile."

Now, I can see that. He's got a basket o' unfilled prescriptions waiting for him. I live literally two minutes away, so I don't mind coming back, I just want an estimate of when. I ask. "When should I come back?"

Him, gesturing at stack of baskets. "I have a lot to do."

Me. "I know. I live close by. I'm coming back, just tell me when."

Him. Giant exasperated sigh. "An hour, hour an a half." Turns away.

Me. o_O Okaaaaaaaay.

Three hours later I go back. While in the parking lot, I kick over some stupid half-full Dairy Queen melted ice cream goo and it ends up all over the bottom of my jeans that I JUST WASHED. [Mad]

I go in. I'm grumpy.

Go to pharmacy counter. I'm the only one there.

Same grumpy pharmacist. He's now the only one there.

...he hadn't filled my script yet. He fills it. I ask about the other one. He gives me an exasperating look accompanied by an exasperating sigh and asks if I have any left. I tell him no, it's a new script, am using 25s instead of splitting the 100s for the extra 50 at night. He sighs again. Goes to the computer. My script was on hold. He doesn't say why.

Phone rings. He answers. Some lady complaining. He gives her what's what, telling her, "Do you realize how many prescriptions we fill here a day?!"

Um...

Now I want to leave, but I need my damn medication. Finally he hangs up, mutters something about PEOPLE, fills my script.

I hightail out.

While all this went on for the half hour it took, I got to stare at the many "We're here to serve you" signs. *sigh*

I'm glad I didn't have any questions. [Eek!]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Typical!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie, that's too bad, I have a great pharmacy with awesome people there who ask me (before I have to ask) if I have any questions and even encourage me to call if I think of any.

Even as nice as it is having a pharmacy close by, it's even nicer to have a place where you feel comfortable.

And Tammy, I think you're going to get it from Alucard for that comment! [Wink]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
girl, you should have told HIM what's what.

i used to be intimidated by service people with bad attitudes.
then i realized how much i hated everyone.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I'm not here to yell at Mack, because there are some bad examples of professionals in every field. I'm just sorry Mack had to go through that.

I have mornings where we are filling about 60 RXs per hour, from start to finish. That is with a staff of 3, or maybe 4. It is insane, but the longest wait time is about 15 minutes typically. I have had days where everything is going wrong, and our wait time escalates to about 20 minutes.

Mack, I would advise you to switch pharmacies. The overworked gentleman filling your presctiptions may be the smartest and best pharmacist on the planet, but he is overworked and obviously understaffed. If he had better-trained or more help to assist him, the situation would be much different.

However, in the world of Retail Pharmacy, our masters have only two major levers to pull when their superiors start yelling that profits are not up to expectations:

Payroll
Inventory

So, basically, someone who elevated himself/herself from above pharmacist comes in, and forgetting everything they experienced at the same level, threatens to cut payroll if the numbers do not come into line.

Most likely, something bad is happening in this pharmacy that is adversely affecting the quality of service that you are getting.

If this continues to happen, I would definitely switch, Mack.

However, I have found that the customers I have become close to have been the ones that understand when I am busy. If you feel it is worth it, get to know your pharmacist better, and I guarantee the above situations will not happen. But the story that Mack lays out here describes a pharmacist who is not very "people-oriented".

In that case, I cannot defend someone who treats others that way, pharmacist or otherwise.

[ June 11, 2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pharmacist.

I'm grumpy. [Grumble]

Sorry. [Embarrassed]

I work on the hospital side, I don't get grumpy at patients, just the nurses (the ones that don't do what thier supposed to).

I'll try to be not grumpy. [Smile]

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Mack, I dedicated my 1000th post to you! [Wink]
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!

Well, this was a part-time guy. So it was an aberration rather than the norm. Frustrating though, 'cause I needed my dang meds.

Hey, Alucard and Tullaan, what've you heard about claritin causing fatigue?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

10% of the population experience somnolescence from loratidine, even thought it is supposed to be non-sedating.

Bummer if you are in the minority. Even bigger bummer if Claritin doesn't work for you...

mackillian
Member # 586

Oh, claritin works. But I have this sneaking suspicion that I either have mono or it's the claritin causing the fatigue. And I tend to have that high subsceptibility to sedation from medications, if you recall the zyprexa+me=32 straight hours of sleep incident. [Wink]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pushing for the claritin being the reason, myself.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

OK Mack, here is one way to tell, possibly.

Claritin is greatly affected by taking it with food, but in a way that is inverse of the normal perceptions of food and medicine.

Food actually potentiates the absorption of Claritin and results in higher blood plasma levels.

So, you could try taking Claritin on an empty stomach for a week and see how you feel, then try taking Claritin with food for a week and see if you feel more tired than normal.

Just make sure you are not prone to Torsades de Pointes or cardiotoxicity BEFORE the homemade science experiment I just recommended...

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in awe of pharmacists. All those big words for chemicals and biological systems and interactions floating around in their heads…kind of makes me want to be sick.

My brother in-law is a mobile pharmacist. He has a route that he covers with a fixed set of people. He knows the people that he serves, who are mostly shut-ins, quite well. I'm not sure, but I think he's working closely with these people's doctors because he's constantly working with lab reports and adjusting dosages. Anyway, I think that would be the way to go for a pharmacist, to have customers whom you know that well.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

I cannot overstate the importance of one of my many crucial tasks in the day-to-day business of running my pharmacy.

I guard the condoms from adolescent little boys who walk by giggling and snickering.

I just do what I can. And I do it well. Not like Mr. Grumpypants...

mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, I actually thought of you while I waited. "I wish Alucard was my pharmacist."
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there something you can take to help you with that grumpyness? You should know.

And I'm happy designing the drugs you use to fill out orders in my quiet, spacious office and lab and going home to swim in large piles of money.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Mack. Sorry you had to go through that--three hours is a long time to wait, and you shouldn't have had to beat it out of him! Hopefully it won't happen again, but I second the suggestion to switch pharmacies if it does. Have you thought about doing mail-order prescriptions? Sometimes it's cheaper and you don't have to wait in line.

Only 10% of the population experiences drowsiness with Claritin? Wow...every single "non-drowsy" allergy medication makes me very tired. I just tried Zyrtec because the Allegra really isn't working anymore, but I can't wake up in the morning with the Zyrtec. Is that normal?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that sucks Mack. Was it a Safeway pharmacist (ours can be pretty surly and some are downright rude)? If so, I appologize on behalf of my company (but not for the moron that hired the pharmacist).
Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
((((grumpy & overworked Pharmacists))))
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
for me thus far:
benadryl - short term effective, i pass OUT.
OH! i have a question about this. i have been taking benadryl a lot more lately since allergies are horrible here in the san joaquin valley, ca, and i used to also take benadryl to help me when i was restless at night because it used to be so potent at knocking me the heck out.
lately i haven't been getting that drowsy, and i wonder if i have built a tolerance to it's sleepy effects? and if so, does that correlate with it's effectiveness as an antihistamine?

claritin: don't think it ever made me drowsy, however it seemed to worsen my allergy symptoms. seriously. i take claritin and start sneezing meatballs off of spaghetti.

zyrtec: does not make me drowsy, was very effective when i lived in virginia. slightly effective here in california.

my new doctor that i am not too thrilled with replaced my accolate (for my asthma) with singulair, which is also prescribed for allergies. not sure it made that much a difference.

feedback and comments MORE than welcome, as i am one of the millions that are suffering in virtual medical poverty while bob the lawyer rolls in piles of money. nekkid.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

OK:

As far as medication,

Zyrtec is not "non-drowsy" as far as antihistamines go. Pfizer markets it alongside Allegra and Claritin, but Zyrtec was designed upon the platform of Atarax (Hydroxyzine), one of their earlier antihistamines from a decade ago. However, Atarax and Zyrtec both cause sedation. I would argue, though, that Zyrtec is the most potent anthistamine out of the "3", being Zyrtec, Allegra, and Claritin.

As for Allegra, it is a metabolite of the anthistamine Seldane, which was taken off the market because of serious drug interactions. The good news is that Allegra DOES NOT have these interactions. However, there used to be a joke about Seldane being called Seldane because it SELdom worked...

As for Benadryl, I like it as a sleeping aid and it is the drug of choice to treat hives or drug reactions resulting in a rash i.e. penicillin. The tolerance you are experiencing could mean both that you are becoming used to the side effect of drowsiness, and also that it may not be as effective as an antihistamine over time. Taking it as needed and seasonally may delay this though.

As for me, I usually choose an OTC cold remedy with chlorpheniramine and an analgesic, such as Tylenol Allergy Sinus or Advil Allergy Sinus. Chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton) is as effective as Benadryl, but less sedating. Also worth noting is that OTC antihistamines that cause drowsiness like Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton are more potent and effective antihistamines than Allegra and Claritin.

Lastly, I like Singulair better than Accolate because the Singulair is taken once daily as opposed to 2X/day with Accolate, Singulair can be taken with or without food, whereas Accolate must be taken on an empty stomach, and Accolate has the potential to raise liver function tests, indicating potential damage to the liver, so blood wook must be done to monitor and prevent this from happening. Singular does not have this last and most serious issue to be concerned with.

As for mail order pharmacies, they are currently the enemy of my profession, as are the pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) that decide what drugs are covered on your various insurance plans. I am all for free markets and the ability to choose mail order pharmacies, but the mail order pharmacies are all owned by either the insurance companies who wish to reduce their drug costs, or by drug companies, who wish to promote more of their products by manipulating formularies.

Generally, the interests of mail order pharmacies are anything but being more convenient for you as the consumer. The convenience you do gain is just a side-effect of the business model these entities are trying to control.

Basically, the complete dominance of mail-order pharmaices could end the corner-drug store market we are used to as we know it. Right now, mail-order pharmacies control 11% of the market, and more and more insurance plans are forcing their members to use mail order pharmacy, with no option to use their local drug store, except for initial fills and other emergency medications.

That pisses me off. [Mad]

Alucard...
Member # 4924

Just so you know, Mack. I would have personally delivered your medication to your door. [Smile]

After an episode like that, I would do anything to make up for it, even forego the bill. I have done it before and I will very likely do it again.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother-in-law interned at a retail place when he was in pharmacy school. He hated it. He swore that no amount of money would have him counting pills at Wal-mart. Now he does Nuclear pharmacy at a hospital and loves it.

Claratin had absolutely no effect on me whatsoever. I used flonase and rinocort to great effect. I'm all about the nasal sprays.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

I'm fortunate that I have gained enough clout with my superiors that I can run my pharmacy as the captain of my own ship. Even though I work for a chain, I act as though my name is above the door, which means that I am accountable for everything that happens in the store.

I know several pharmacists who hate retail and having to deal with the public. My dad owned and managed a business since 1977, and my mom was a teacher for 35 years. I actually love working with the public and consider my customers to be more like extended family.

I wish your brother well! Nuclear pharmacy is very specific in its demands.

Please tell him from me that:

Pharmacists do it under the counter.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's my *sister* you're talking about! [Mad] [Eek!] [Razz]

[ June 12, 2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I luv u, Alucard. /fangirl

*becomes an Alucardhead

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

My bobblehead doll is coming out this fall...

Sorry sarcasticmuppet, what I meant to say was that:

Pharmacists do it with a grinding motion.

[ June 12, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

mackillian
Member # 586

I just realized I have two more scripts to fill. Crud. Ritalin LA (Yeay! Legal speed!) and minocin. *mutter*
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*mackheads just briefly

(heckuva buzz)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Two great tastes that taste great together, Mack.

I'm serious about the bobble head dolls though. Think OSC would invest in something like that for the Hatrack store?

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
mack,
Chuck told me that I shouldn't take Afrin (which is just as well because I still don't have any) because it's addictive and bad for me.

Alucard, CT?

Still snuffly.

Bleah.

Head full of hot cotton.

Gah.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

jexx, afrin is fine for nasal congestion but can only be used for about 3 days, at which time, you should stop using it to prevent "rebound congestion".

Historically, Afrin is a much more effective nasal decongestant than Sudafed and other labeled products containing pseudoephredrine. However, it works so well, your nasal vasculature can become addicted to the effects of Afrin.

mackillian
Member # 586

Three days on and then off it always worked well for me. I never got addicted to it.
Alucard...
Member # 4924

The 72-Hour Affair

Kind of like a strange little fling with addiction isn't it? Almost a flirtatious encounter that explodes into a sordid romp in the hay, after which, you wake up 3 days later and have to quit for good lest you put your entire soul in jeopardy.

mackillian
Member # 586

It's worth it to be able to BREATHE.
mackillian
Member # 586

Okay. So I've figured out that it WAS the claritin making me tired.

...but now allergies are bugging the crap out of my eyes. [Mad]

NOW what?!

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using Nasonex spray for sinus congestion. It's awesome but expensive.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought, Mack.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

zyrtec rules, jamie, and you only take it once a day. sometimes i take a benadryl at bedtime if i'm having serious problems.

my pharmacist at costco was super nice today [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

I use nasonex. But my eyes are really bothersome, 'cause I wear contacts.

And jon...that went right over my head.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Your eyes are bothering you, so pluck them out.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Eek!]

I won't even pluck my CONTACTS out to make them bug me less.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Like I said, just a thought . . .
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Mack,

Like the quote "There is always a bigger fish" there is always another drug. I would suggest an antihistamine eye drop.

There are 2 over the counter:

Vasocon-A
Opcon-A

But these also contain oxymetazoline, a decongestant to "get the red out" so are best for occasional use.

Your best solution would be an RX version of these that is just the antihistamine, plus some are mast cell stabilizers as well:

Patanol
Zaditor
Livostin

I sort of ranked them by their prescribed usage. Patanol is the one your Dr would most likely be familiar with.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You only have to pluck out your eye if it is causing you to sin...and most likely it will be your left one, or so the story goes...

mackillian
Member # 586

*snort*

but I also wear contacts...yeah, I'm calling my doc to whine on monday.

Gah! MONDAY!

dang eyes.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I used Livostin when my eyes got a little allergy sensitive after LASIC. I stopped using it after about a month - it worked great.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

LASIK. You say that to mock me! *gets stick*
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I misspelled it. To keep it from stinging so much.

I know you're in a bad mood today.

[Taunt]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Mack, I would advise you to instill the eyedrops a 1/2 hour before putting in your contacts. You should be fine. At least for 4-6 hours, until it wears off... [Dont Know]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*pines for LASIK*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.