FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Saved! Anyone?

Author Topic: Saved! Anyone?
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody see this movie? I definantly would recommend it to anyone who has strong feelings on organized religion.

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey Ryan! [Wave] )
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Strong feelings in which direction on organized religion? >_>
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The review in the paper sounds like Saved is making fun of organized religion. Anyone seen it who can say for sure?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are panning organized religion. It was a funny movie. They were really making fun of extremist, not just organized religion. But as always we should take into account not all very religious people are like this and to each his own. It's just a movie.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i plan on seeing it!

and speaking of movies i can't wait for napoleon dynamite to come out in all the theaters!

i can catch it in LA when i move, but i really wanted to see it with my brothers since the movie is so much like my brother mitch and his best friend peter.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

Actually the movie is for people from both ends of the religious spectrum. It ends with an actual positive Christian message. The movie is also valuble for exposing the sins of the great majority of the Evangelical Christian tradition.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that sins only need to be exposed to the sinner himself, and making fun of him first is not a good way to get him to open his heart to your message.

But, I don't know anything about this movie.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
i think that with macauley caulkin in it... it's got to be pretty cheesy. unless his acting has improved with his age.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The movie is also valuble for exposing the sins of the great majority of the Evangelical Christian tradition.
And you have personal knowledge of what those sins are? This statement seems full of hubris.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, because we know that the evangelical Christians have absolutely no hubris whatsoever.

I think that pride is a sin, Dagonee.

[ June 13, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: ssywak ]

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
the previews gave me nasty flashbacks, but one of my friends gave it a review that makes me want to rent it anyway. i think i'll pass on the theater experience, though.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Macauley Caulkin was actually pretty good in it. I was pleasently surprised.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
did anybody that saw it get flashbacks of home alone?
[Eek!]
if not, maybe i'll see it... it does look kind of funny.

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Yes, because we know that the evangelical Christians have absolutely no hubris whatsoever.

I think that pride is a sin, Dagonee.

Ryan and you (since you seem to agree with him) seem to be brushing a lot of people who spend a lot of time doing good works in this country with an incredibly broad brush. The movie's not parodying evangelicals so much as it's parodying the popular media's charicature of evangelical Christians.

Are you even aware that evangelical does not necessarily equal fundamentalist?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, all right! I'll actually take a moment to understand what I'm actually talking about;

http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/g/glcomsto/www/Toward.doc

quote:
1. What is evangelical Christianity?

The term "evangelical" is used in a variety of ways, typically to refer to a range of Protestants. I will use the phrase more generally to designate any Christian, a person who has been baptized, who subscribes to two propositions:
1) salvation is found through faith in Jesus Christ, and
2) the Bible is the authoritative word of God in matters pertaining to Christian faith
and theology.
Evangelicals may affirm these beliefs even as they acknowledge abuses that have been rationalized in their name. For example, evangelicals have been criticized for excessively individualistic piety and ignoring issues of social justice. In particular, evangelicals are known not to be particularly concerned about ecology.

All right, so I fall into the prejudicial line of thought. I apologize.

But you know, now I'm going to have to expect the same level of fair-mindedness from you then! Do you has what it takes?

Man, who am I going to have left to play the bad guys?

[ June 13, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: ssywak ]

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
But you know, now I'm going to have to expect the same level of fair-mindedness from you then! Do you has what it takes?
I'd like to think I demonstrate that pretty consistently.

quote:
Man, who am I going to have left to play the bad guys?
People who don't use their turn signals when turning into parking lots, making the person turning out of the parking lot miss a perfect chance to pull into traffic.

They're all EVIIIIIIIIL!

Dagonee

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i think that with macauley caulkin in it... it's got to be pretty cheesy. unless his acting has improved with his age.
actually i am really curious to see caulkin nowadays. i like kerin, but also have no desire to see Party Monster.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

Just so you know, I am an evangelical Christian. I think it's certainly a satire and taken to an extreme, but it does hit some very hard points.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that Michael Stipe (who was involved in the production) considered it a movie with a sincere religious sentiment at its core.

But then, I thought Dogma had a very sincere religious sentiment at its core, too. [Big Grin]

I wanna see it, but I'll have to take my inhaler. Just in case I have flashbacks.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
How's it compare to the Life of Brian?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought Dogma had a sincere religious sentiment at it’s core. I first saw it with a seminary theological discussion group.

(Oh – that’s seminary as in grad-school, I know some folks on the site use the word differently)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
So this is supposed to be a Catholic school....but not Catholic? ARE there such things as Protestant schools?? I guess there are...but I've never heard of them.

[ June 14, 2004, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Hey. I went to Christian schools, several of them. None of them Catholic.

But I didn't kow this was supposed to be a bout that.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no desire whatsoever to see this movie. I have a feeling it would annoy me on every level - the filmmakers for making fun of (yet again) religion, the students in the movie for using religion as social currency, the reviewers for clapping at and applauding for only the religious movies that wink with "You and I both know these people are stupid", and ESPECIALLY the *SPOILERS* portrayal of the idiot girl who thinks manipulating someone's life is a good reason to and excuse for breaking a serious commandment.

The internet commentaries that condemn the movie for - no kidding - spreading an "anti-choice" message have already made my skin crawl. I'm avoiding the movie to keep from throwing things.

[ June 14, 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the students in the movie for using religion as social currency
Welcome to my husband's high school.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

And, incidentally, the college I attended. It's the reason churches still make me break out in hives.

I do think it is a valid topic of exploration, as far as that goes. Especially for anyone who has lived in that culture, as I have.

Though I'm the first to admit that this could suck hard, I'm still interested.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider the people who stop me on the street or bother me at home in order to educate me as to why their religion is the best to be far more annoying than a movie I can easily avoid.

Maybe the media's presentation is more insidious, but at least I can feel like I'm avoiding it [Wink]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see it!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.