FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Too many commercials at beginning of movies

Author Topic: Too many commercials at beginning of movies
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
We just returned from seeing the new Harry Potter at the theatre. No, this post does not have any spoilers.

While we all enjoyed the film, we had some problems with the beginning. We had to sit through eight minutes of commercials, the policy trailer (don't smoke, turn off your cell phone), and another nine minutes of trailers (previews) before the movie even started.

There were eight commercials in these nine minutes for everything from Coke to American Express to the Will Rogers foundation. Some were inappropriate in their content for attachement to a family film that included small children in the viewing audience.

It was the same with the trailers. We had several for upcoming family films, but also had some for patently adult movies. While these were all green banded trailers, they still did not belong here (A green banded trailer is one approved for all audiences. A red banded trailer is one that is only shown with r-rated films and can contain nudity, extreme violence, and swearing.).

I spent about 8 years working with United Artists (I left in 1994). Our company policy back then was that we were never to have more than one commercial, one policy trailer, and no more than ten total minutes of commercials and trailers before starting the film. We were also supposed to keep all trailers within one rating (up or down) of the picture. In other words, we could not show a trailer, even green banded, for an r-rated movie on a pg movie.

It appears that these policies do not apply to Carmike or any of the other theatre exhibitors that I have visited recently. We had similar problems a few weeks ago with Shrek 2, but it did not have as many commercials (though it included more trailers).

So, anyone got any ideas? At this point, I am writing letters (that will be ignored) to both Cinemark and Carmike complaining of these actions. I will also be writing to my local newspaper's letters to the editor section. None of this venting will do me any good, but I am looking for suggestions on what can be done that would be successful.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Blowing up theaters is good.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I went to the cinema I was fifteen minutes late for the start of my movie. I went into the screen on the ticket, sat down and was surprised to see another film playing. I watched it for a while to check that it wasn't a trailer. Then I got up, went to the counter and ask where my film was playing. The guy directed me back to where I'd been before. The other film was still playing. Then it finished, and turned out to have been a trailer. If a trailer lasts ten minutes, does it still count as a trailer, or just a very short movie? [Mad]

Okay, rant over.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm...I'm...going to have to burn down the building.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Arson! Fun for all the family [Smile]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have to say that I LOVE trailers. I do not like the commercials or those stupid "Have some yummy popcorn" commercial-like presentations, but sometimes the trailer is, sadly, the only part of a movie I ever see.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
i also think that trailers are great. i agree they should be more appropriate to the film and those fanta commercials have got to go!
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they used to do this in the past? It seems like to me they didn't. Like they used to have the go visit the concession stand and spend a million dollars for popcorn, then the previews.
NO COMMERCIALS.
No coca cola, pepsi, fanta stupid ads taking an extra TEN MINUTES and getting on my last damn nerves.
They used to have the trailers then start the film and I wish they'd get back to that!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the fanta commercials. Directly right to males, as well.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I can understang the commercials on T.V. because someone has to pay for the shows, but I've already forked over atleast $8.50 I don't want to spend 20 minutes watching commercials, and then some more watching previews for some horrible movies I would never see. If these movies are making so many millions of dollars in the movie theatres, why do they have to be paid for advertising some disgusting soda. *cough*FANTA!!!*cough*

[ June 19, 2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Son_of_Priam ]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I hate those bloody commercials. And the mere mention of Fanta makes me break out in hives. [Wall Bash]

I don't mind trailers, either--in fact, I quite like them--as long as they don't include Hillary Duff, Vin Diesel, or the Rock.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally have a problem with the trailers, but understand the need for them.

Back in the 80's and 90's when I was with U.A., we had to attend quarterly meetings that lasted several days. One day was spent doing nothing but watching every trailer for every movie that would be coming out in the next several months. This was called "watching product reel" and was intended to be productive. After about 15 minutes, all it did was produce sleep in everyone in the room.

After about three consecutive trailers, I am usually ready to kill a projectionist for attaching them and studio people for shipping them out.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers are fine.

Commercials are not.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and those fanta commercials have got to go!
YES!!!

I don't mind the trailers, but I'm with Hector/Paris on the commercials. [Mad]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I say how relieved I am that y'all hate the Fanta ads too? I thought it was just me.

I'm so used to 15 minutes worth of pre-movie stuff that I assume it. 10 minutes late for the movie? No problem -- just hope we can find seats in the dark.

And I like trailers, but NOT commercials. Although I agree on the rating issue, even though I very rarely take my kids to the movies.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to see my last movie at the threatre, I said to my wife "All these Coke commercials make me want to never drink a Coke again in my life."

Then the Fanta commercial aired. I leaned over to my wife and said "I think I want to drink a Coke now. ANYTHING but Fanta."

Which sads me, since I actually really like Fanta.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had commercials before my movies, so I suppose I'm desensitized, as it were. It doesn't me, because it's just part of what I consider the "moviegoing experience". My friends and I talk through them anyway- we talk right up to the warning that tells us to shut up. It's traditional.

So I don't mind the commercials, although I wouln't be sad to see them go (it wouldn't, obviously, be a loss). However, I do like the trailers, I like to see what's coming up (even though I watch most of them on line anyway).

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
The commercials really get annoying -- especially when you see the same one (Caramel Kisses) TWICE in front of the same movie.

I have to say, though, that when I watched a movie in London last summer, I was wishing for the American commercials. They get a lot more commercials in front of their movies even than we do.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.