FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Browser madness

Author Topic: Browser madness
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I decide today to use only Firefox browser, after reading these new stories this morning:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5247187.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed

and
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/06/24/internet.attack.ap/index.html

So I close my I.E. and open Firefox.

Go to Hatrack forums and read. Decide to post -- ACK! It doesn't know who I am. Cookies are associated with the I.E. I haven't used my password in months, and the original message I got with my password was download onto a hard drive that is now dead.

<sigh>

Then I realize -- open back up I.E. -- go to Hatrack (which recognizes me) go to profile and change password.

Close I.E. and go back to Firefox and sign in.

All is well again......... [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on making the switch!

Be sure to check out the various extensions you can install; some, particularly in the areas of tabbed browsing and mouse gestures, significantly improve the browsing experience.

[ June 25, 2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Bekenn ]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
and if you, (or anyone else that is reading this) that uses mozilla or phoenix-firefox/bunny/tulip or whatever they're calling it now hasn't yet, go and get smart bookmarks from this entry of my blog. They're insanely useful. donno what smartbookmarks are? Too lazy to actually go read? Excerpt below:

For people who use mozilla, what you do is right click download this to somewhere you remember (I suggest the desktop, saying you'll be deleteing it in a minute or so).
Second go to Bookmarks, Manage bookmarks, to open the bookmark manager. And then Tools, "Import..." and then import the file you just downloaded. Done!

What did this awesome thing do?
in the browser bar at the top try typing "g something" and enter *BOOM* You've suddenly searched Google! Current smart bookmarks are listed in the extended entry

Webster's Dictionary - dict
Amazon search - a
WWWJDIC - jdic
google news - gn
google search - g
ebay search - ebay
weather.com - weather
pricegrabber ISBN - isbn
pricegrabber - pg
fatwallet HD - fw
google lucky - gl
howstuffworks - how
IMDB - imdb
UPS Tracking - ups
rikai - rikai
wayback machine - archive
wikipedia - wiki
fedex tracking - fedex
Freshmeat.net - fm
dictionary.com - dictionary
php.net - php
sourceforge.net - sf

Note that I am adding more all the time, and if you make any, please tell me so I can add them. Enjoy!

(addendum: TABS! Don't forget to use tabs! middle click is a wonderful thing -note that you have to set it in your preferences- tabbed browsing and smart bookmarks...tools for efficiency, tools for laziness)

(edit: t'ank 'ou! didn't notice the switch between the d and the b)
Satyagraha

[ June 26, 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
IMBD?

Methinks you mean IMDB.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm loving Firefox .9 so far. I've got the Adblock extension running, so I can block ads (I even get to block the text ads on hatrack and register).

Some other really helpful extensions are:

- IE View
- Nuke Anything (lets you remove images and objects temporarily)
- Text Links
- Single Window

I've got Firesomething also so that I get a different name each time I open it up.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, as far as I can tell, Fireweasel 0.8 & 0.9 already has quicksearch bookmarks integrated, as I'm using them regularly.

Edit: Oh I see.. you're just pimpin' your particular list of bookmarks.

Also, Slacker: I'm still using 0.8. I was wary about switching over until I was sure a lot of the extensions I want will work with 0.9. Has your experience with that been good? In particular, I'm interested in mouse gestures, tabbed browsing, Adblock, etc.

[ June 26, 2004, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

Adblock works incredibly well. The unfortunate part was that my home machine didn't take the upgrade well and I ended up having to uninstall firefox, reboot, and install firefox again. I'm not sure what caused it, but the process would start up, but nothing beyond that.

Tabbed browsing is as nice as ever, but I really like the single window extension. I still try to break myself of using the middle mouse button (or ctrl-click on my laptop), but I'm getting closer to it (word of advice - it doesn't work on all installs and they're trying to fix it still).

The themes will change without restarting this time around (which I really like). I've got Smoke running right now, which looks nice n clean when you set it to small icons.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

Oh, if you want to just try .9 without leaving .8, you can go and download the version that doesn't need an installer. Just download it, extract it to your desktop, and use the exe in the folder.

For the most part, the difference will be negligable, but some extensions may not be recognized off the bat.

I use this version at work cause I hate using IE there anymore (it's slow and removing spyware without any programs to assist you in a pain in the butt). We can't install anything, but the policy doesn't cover me just downloading it and running it. [Big Grin]

download

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice dobie. [Smile]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.