FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Intruiging--but is it really possible?

Author Topic: Intruiging--but is it really possible?
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this on the USA Today site. This is fascinating--can you imagine if it got stuck halfway there, though?

Elevator to space

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Could you imagine what could happen if the terminus was blown off of it? [Wink]

[ June 26, 2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
Erik, I imagine it would have to go pretty fast to get to 62,000 miles, so that might be a real possibility! I can just see people floating around an elevator in outer space.

The other question is--would they get on and then stand around and face the door like they do on a regular elevator? [Wink]

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Wow, I got two plugs for KSR this week!

Linky [Big Grin]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Rumor is though, that the makers of the Space Elevator are planning on hosting the same crappy music found on conventional elevators.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Good music costs more.

It was that or no velour wall panels.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Ventilation would be a key concern.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*in his best Droopy voice*

"Going down, sir."

"Mind the step, sir."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
'Twould be best if they piped in Bugs Bunny's elevator lines. "Sixth floor: Hunting gear, Sporting goods, Ladies' langerie." I paraphrase with apologies to the real Warner Bros. experts in the forum.
Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry... did not edit for spelling. That would be lingerie.
Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
On the one hand, we'd finally have the answer to the question.

On the other hand, a 22,241mile/35,786kilometer elevator ride?

[ June 26, 2004, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weezer
Member # 6643

- posted      Profile for weezer   Email weezer         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh! 15 more years? I need to be in space now!
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
To bring the thread back on topic...

for a simple summary, space elevators aren't a new concept, in fact...they're very old. The basic concept is to have some sort of satellite in geo-syncranous orbit teathered to...obviously, a station on the ground, and operates the same way a normal elevator would, as the elevator goes up, a counter weight comes down, thus keeping balance. The main problem we have of developing a space elevator is not the physics, we've got that all figured out...theoretically...the problem we have is developing a material that would be strong enough, and up until now...we haven't had anything that was light and strong enough.

Well...not exactly, we still don't have it really, what I'm talking about are carbon nanotubes, we can make them...but not at the speed, quantity, or volume required...yet. That's why they're saying 15 years, the majority of those 15 years is the estimated development time of having the capability to put carbon nanotubes into full scale production.

People wonder why the hell would we need a space elevator anyways? My very simple answer is: the cost. While setting up a rudimentary space elevator will cost somewhere around 10,000,000,000, the cost to transport materials to and from space would immediatly drop, while the initial cost is high, maintaining would be rather cheap, and though it would take any entity that built one a decade to recover the initial cost, the cost of sending materials into space would still be much, much cheaper which would allow for more space-related research and even commerce.

If anybody's interested I used the following links as reference (for more information):
Wikipedia: Carbon Nanotubes
Wikipedia: Space elevator
The Space Elevator 3rd Annual Conference

Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I sense a new large, but somewhat boring, level for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Game. "They have taken the elevator lads..."

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

lol.

Would make a good name for a band too:

"Cleveland, I want you to put your hands together for... Elevator Lads."

*flicks bic*

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
To clairify a bit, making them in volume isn't really the problem. There are several ways to do that. The problem is that although the properties of each individual nanotube are really good for this application, no one has found a way to mass produce fibers with the same qualities.

Just as a side note, there is at least one factory somewhere that makes them. GM uses them to strengthen some plastic parts in some of the new cars. (Sort of like rebar in concrete. a little bit goes a long way.)

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Although the tubes are hardly nanotechnology, the Sears Tower is constructed with rigid tubes that allow for the design of the skyscraper to achieve its great heights.

Space Elevators are cool. This brings a whole new level to BASE jumping...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.