FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Bush that broke the Camel's back: Bush admin lies again

Author Topic: The Bush that broke the Camel's back: Bush admin lies again
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The Iraqi handover was meant to occur on June 30th; spitting in the face of convention and promises to that effect, the Bush administration caved in to Iraqi demands, and handed over Iraqi sovereignty this morning at 2:30am.

The move is being criticized by Bush opponents as underhanded, secretive, and utterly contemptuous of international opinion.

"This really shows what the Bush administration is all about. Nothing has changed," said Jean-Luc Rovell-Michard, student of Paris' International Study. "You see? The American imperialists don't care what anyone thinks."

Hassan Elan Ravin Muhammed Al-Jezra of Baghdad had a similar opinion. "The 30th, says everyone! That is when we take sovereignty! And now they want to push it on us earlier! It is all confusion, everything the Americans have done, lies and confusion!"

I don't know that I'll be able to support Bush now. To lie so blatantly, to thumb his nose so flagrantly at world opinion and international convention. . .

It comes down to this-- when you say you're going to do something you do it. If you stick me in a corner, and I give my word that I'm never going to leave it, can I leave it? NEVER! I'll die first.

A country is only as good as the word of its leader, and this time Bush served the world a plate of bold-face lies. I've heard Paul Bremmer is already coming back to the US, I'm sure because he's so disgusted with the manipulating, lying, cheating way his country has dealt with the handover.

It looks like Frenken was right after all. . . Lying liars, telling lies.

I'm voting for Nader.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck?

June 30, as I understood it, was a date we meant to turn sovereignty over no later than, not no sooner than. (In terms of the purpose, that is--I don't know if those words were used.) At that we have been subject to criticism for taking so long, and the Iraqis wanted it sooner. No one has complained that we are moving too fast. So if we are ready a couple of days early, what is the terrible problem with doing it now?

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Why throw your vote away - vote Calvin & Hobbes into office!
Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
My irony-detector is blaring! Waahhaaa-wahhhaaa-weoooww!!!

Heheh, good'un Scott:)

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Oops. Thank you, Rakeesh. I have been subjected to so many ridiculous arguments about why Bush is an evil conspirator and Saddam liked to play with fuzzy bunnies that I didn't catch the sarcasm this time. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

[Big Grin]

Just gotta question - did you write that yourself or is that from a website? It's pretty good.

(for the record, I'm not a Bush fan, but I have to admit this early turnover looks to be a very shrewd move - especially in terms of confounding whatever plans insurgents were making to coincide with the date.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

[Smile]

Wrote it myself. Tell the Onion I'm available.

Edit: Sndrake, I'm not sure if the insurgents are going to be particularly wowed about this. "Oooh, dastardly Bush! But now, my seven Heavenly virgins will get the pleasure of my presence a whole two days early!"

How much planning does it take to duct tape a CO2 cannister and a box of nails to your chest and find the nearest police station? If they didn't have something lined up before now. . .

"Hassan! Where is that *%%#@# plastique!"

"On its way, boss. M0mmas_4_M155l35 promised he'd ship it Overnight International."

"Wha--?? Who is the supplier? Where are you getting the explosives from?"

"Ebay. You know, because armament is so expensive nowadays. Thought we'd save the Saudis a buck or two. . ."

[Big Grin]

[ June 28, 2004, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
especially in terms of confounding whatever plans insurgents were making to coincide with the date.
You, my friend, understand the politics of power very well. Now go post that in the other thread on this topic - it'll sound more credible from you than me. [Smile]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Dag,

Done! [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks. I'll return the favor someday. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Scott,

I don't want to overstate the impact. Everyone expects things to be pretty ugly in Iraq over the summer.

But it's a pretty good bet that there were plans to have some coordinated attacks, abductions, etc. on the day of the turnover, for the purpose of making a mockery of it. (I think that some of the strategic planners in these groups are probably pretty astute when it comes to media manipulation - a fact we should appreciate.)

It won't stop the insurgents in their tracks - but it robbed them of a great media moment.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. The early hand-off was a nice idea -- although it's worth noting that there was at least one actual lie involved, when Bremer said that we were handing "full sovereignity" to the Iraqi transitional government, and that our occupation was "over."

That would be, yes, a lie. But it's a pretty one.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

:pouting bump:
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
I read your post in a hurry on the way out the door this morning. I then thought about it a few times at work. In brief, these were my thoughts:

1: Were you just mad because you didn't get a personal call from the President to inform you of the early handover?

2: Were you really looking forward to the fireworks, and since there wasn't enough time to plan for them, there just weren't any?

3: You do realize that 2:30 AM is 10:30 AM there, or do you expect them to wait until prime time so you can watch it live? Let's see, they could do it around 6:30 pm here--what a coincidence, that would be 2:30AM there! Perfect.

Then I got home tonight and read it again--and found myself LOL. Just goes to show you how much my sense of humor can improve throughout the day

Thanks for the laughs--you would do well at the Onion. [Wink]

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, I didn't know it was a joke for a while. You just can't tell.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Any time you see a Frenchman in the newspaper with the name 'Jean-Luc' you can safely assume that the author is trying to be funny.
Mabus
Member # 6320

I knew ST: TNG was a joke!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Prime Minister Allawi: Legal Proceedings Against Deposed Ruler to Begin Thursday

quote:
"We will show that justice will prevail," he said, "regardless of how long it will take to be implemented. . . . We want to put this bad history behind us and to move with the spirit and national unity and reconciliation," Allawi said.

While Allawi said the trial of Hussein would be public, it was not clear that his arraignment on Thursday would be open as well. If it is, it would be the world's first glimpse of the ex-dictator since he was captured by U.S. troops on Dec. 13, 2003.

Allawi said Hussein will be entitled to a lawyer. If he cannot afford a lawyer, Allawi said, smiling, the government will pay the fees.

Scott R
Member # 567

I'm glad that he is going to be tried by the Iraqis.

I hope the US chooses to stay out of the proceedings.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

He's being arraigned. I wonder if he'll deny the authority of the court and refuse to participate, or if he'll mount a defense.

I just love the last line of the quoted section.

Dagonee

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.