FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Needs some book advice

Author Topic: Needs some book advice
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone I am almost done with the Alvin Maker series, and will soon be running out of OSC to read, so I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on authors to check out.

For reference, I like reading OSC because of the psychology, philosophy, and sociology he involves in a lot of his stories... this is the same reason I loved the book Starship Troopers by Heinlein.

So along those same lines, or if you think it is a thought provoking sci-fi fantasy novel, let me know.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
lol. I just started a thread aobut this, but if you havent read any of Robin Hobb's books yet, you should. They're some of my favorites.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read any of Octavia Butler's work? If not, I'd probably start with Dawn, the first book of the Xenogenesis trilogy.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For reference, I like reading OSC because of the psychology, philosophy, and sociology he involves in a lot of his stories... this is the same reason I loved the book Starship Troopers by Heinlein.

Yet another opportunity to plug KSR: The Mars Series. Throw in politics and you've got it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the vote for Octavia Butler; she's just awesome. You can also check out Ted Chiang.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've been meaning to check out some of Ted Chiang's stuff.

Maureen McHugh is another you might like. Her China Mountain Zhang is probably my single favorite book.

Ursula K Leguin, Nancy Kress, George R. R. Martin...there are all sorts of great authors of this stripe waiting to be discovered.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll love Terry Pratchett; just don't read the Rincewind books.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, avoid Rincewind, because your head might explode from too much greatness, and your gut from too much laughing.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I love China Mountain Zhang!!! You've got good taste, dude.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Cool]

Thanks Space Opera! Have you read her other stuff? Half the Day is Night struck me as an interesting idea that probably couldn't have been made into an interesting book by anyone. Mission Child I liked quite a bit, although it wasn't anywhere close to CMZ. Necropolis was fantastic--probably the second best thing she's written, in my estimation.

Have you read any of her short fiction? Honestly, I think I prefer her novel lenght stuff to her short stories, but I'm nonetheless looking forward to her upcoming short story collection with quite a bit of anticipation.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

*donks self on head*

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I have never looked at anything else that she's written. Guess what I'll be checking out on my next trip to the library!

space opera

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.