FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Attention non-technical nerds...

Author Topic: Attention non-technical nerds...
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
STOP using internet explorer, for the good of the country. <_<
Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
And because I post this for new mozilla/firefox users. smart bookmarks seriously do make life better.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wha'Happened?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I'm going to do something directed by the Anti-Christ?
[Big Grin]

actually, I'm using Firefox.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not only using Firefox, but I suggested to a coworker who is doing our Sunday business page that she use an AP article about alternate browsers on one of her pages. She doesn't usually do that page, so it's got a good chance of getting in.

It's a bit risky, because our publisher doesn't like to promote other avenues of news-gathering. Our unofficial mantra (I thought this up) is "there is no media but newspaper and there is no newspaper but The Messenger."

I had to go home after getting some work done this morning, so I won't know if she used that article until later today.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
What a minute... you're Damien, aren't you? ô¿ô
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bernard (is that right)? Those smart bookmarks are pretty cool!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trondheim
Member # 4990

- posted      Profile for Trondheim   Email Trondheim         Edit/Delete Post 
Opera is also quite good.

[ July 02, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Trondheim ]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Lemme check on something: I can't get IE off my computer without slagging Windows, right?

So what good will it do to switch to another browser? Won't I still get annoying popups and such via the IE program still here?

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You can remove IE without harming Windows. People do it all the time.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
The majority of those adware programs affect IE specifically, and Mozilla/Firefox has a built in pop-up blocker, and works damn nice too. also, the adware that you might get when visiting a website via IE is pretty much code that Moz will ignore.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
no you won't. If you don't run it, or any program that embeds it, it can't do anything.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

HE, it's not happening right now, but I frequently get popups overnight when I haven't done anything with IE for hours.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
That's due to stuff which has already installed itself on your machine, not IE itself. Those programs likely exploited IE to install, but after install could theoretically open popups in whichever browser (though I doubt they'll do so in anything but IE). However, if you switch to another browser and then root out the spyware, you should never see those popups again.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
oh and you don't want to uninstall IE anyway. Windows Update doesn't work with anything else.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mabus, I highly recommend getting Ad-Aware and SpyBot now and running them. It is probably also a good idea to run a virus checker; AVG has a free version which should work fine.

IE is not supposed to be coming up with popups like that on its own; that only ever happens as a result of malicious code. These programs should fix you up.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

I have both of those programs. I run them periodically. Usually they work; sometimes recent malicious code goes undetected.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the "oh hell no" reaction.

Have you upated the profiles for both?

I'd also suggest doing a thorough scan of your hard drive - it seems to me you might have an actual program installed on your machine.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.