FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A CSS question to web scripters-browser specific coding.

Author Topic: A CSS question to web scripters-browser specific coding.
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay,
I'm working on my college webpage for the summer, nothing special...except I suddenly got myself in further than I thought I would've...or should have...it turns out that I have to rewrite the WHOLE ENTIRE THING.
See work here
Fine, that part is done. Well, except one thing...I've got the page to display properly in Internet Explorer, Mozilla (and thusly firefox). Problem is...the home page doesn't move correctly in konquerer/safari. I'm expecting the reason for this is that in the external stylesheet I had moved the pieces up to match the position of the inside pages, I have this for IE, and child processes for mozilla...however, seemingly knoqueror renders the CSS differently, and so there's no buffer at the top for the first page, I was wondering if any other web junkies have any thoughts on how to fix this, or at least why is safari taking away my buffer?! The stylesheet is here

Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You rely on an unspecified behavior of the box model. After removing extraneous and invalidating html elements, I'm slowly altering your stylesheet to bring it in line, so far I've stricken out the margin hack, changed several things to padding that were margins, and deleted the margin-top on the body entirely. Its getting close, but its taking a bit to wade through it all.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Okay, got it working in safari just fine (and I know what modifications do what, now), I just have about 15 pixels to track down in Mozilla.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Finally tracked down that extra 15px by just deleting every reference to padding and margins. Amazing how little that changed the page.

Now adding them back in to achieve original effect in both browsers.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Okay, after deleting every bit of margin and padding information, I did the following: put margin and padding on the body to 0px, on the div#wrap put the margin to 28px 5px 5px 5px, and the padding to 0px.

If that doesn't work in IE, switch the margin and padding values on div#wrap and try again.

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
T'ank 'ou! Much awesomeness!
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.