FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Book of Mormon: The Movie!

Author Topic: The Book of Mormon: The Movie!
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the video store and saw Part 1 of what I assume will be a series of movies depicting the Book of Mormon. I found a thread that talked about it in Preview last summer, but nothing recent. Anyone see the movie? Good stuff? Tell a good tale? Represents?

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen it. The CW is that it's very, very poorly done. Which makes sense as those involved in primary roles had limited (or no) prior experience in filmmaking.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It was good if it were a made-for-TV movie. But I got the sense that a couple of important elements, like costuming, were being handled by folks who would not have been able to be fired (because of being close relatives or friends with the director or something.)
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, but I haven't heard anything good about it, so it is unlikely that I ever will see it.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard it was crap.

If you're still curious though, you should totally read the book [Big Grin]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
I thougth it was crap. Poor acting, bad script, and customes you could find at Wal-mart. Horrible, just horrible.

However, I must admit, my spouse (a recent convert) was having a problem understanding who is who in the Book of Mormon in relation to a time and/or blood line. Seeing it on screen helped H. get past the "I Nephi having been born of goodly parents" with a lot more comprehension.

H. had no Christian background to prepare for the BoM and is grateful for the opportunity to see it. H. wants a sequel. I think it does more harm then good for our religion.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
They should've gotten Mel Gibson to make it.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They should've gotten Mel Gibson to make it.
Is the Book of Mormon that violent? [Smile] He is doing Biblical, but he is going backwards to the OT I am told. I can't remember the story, but it is pretty violent so he will be more than happy in the filming of it. Thanks for the info about BoM. I will avoid like a plague and check out the book (I have it but only have read a bit here or there...).

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Large scale battles, Martyrs, honor, faith, truth & liberty - yeah, BoM is right up Mel's alley.

And the next project he's been reported to do is the story of the Maccabean revolution, which is Old Testament for Catholics, 'Intertestamental' for Protestants, and, uh, post-TANAKH for Jews. (But Pre-Channukah - at least to the basic end of the story.)

The Maccabean Revolution beatures large scale battles, martyrs, honor, faith, truth & liberty. We sensing a bit of a theme here?

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Maccabean Revolution beatures large scale battles, martyrs, honor, faith, truth & liberty. We sensing a bit of a theme here?
Hmmm... yeah... I bet his next project is Ford vs. Chevy.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There has really been nothing more than speculation on the Maccabean project. I'll believe it when there's a script.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it twice in theaters, bought the DVD, and love it in the way a small boy loves a retarded puppy.

I particularly enjoy the four minute scene in which Lehi screams, "Don't you understand? The city will be destroyed!" about eighteen times, and is seemingly oblivious to the conversations surrounding him. It's like he has Tourette's syndrome.

I also like the matching studded leather headbands that every young male character seemed to be required to wear.

And the grotesque fake beards.

And the alarming frequency with which the script used the word "possessions." Example: LAMAN: What, Father? What will happen to our possessions if we flee into the wilderness?
Example 2: NEPHI: We will offer Laban our valuable possessions in exchange for the brass plates.

And the people standing off-camera hurling buckets of water onto the roadshow-quality ship set during storm scenes.

And . . . well, the list goes on.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is the Book of Mormon that violent?
Yes, it is very violent. If it was to actually be made into a pretty faithful movie, no doubt it would be rated R for the previous mentioned list. There is slaughter, wars, burnings, whippings, beatings, a scalping, loss of limbs, and etc. It even mentions eating of human flesh.

As for the Book of Mormon movie, it is like watching Airplane and History of the World Part 1, only not a comedy.

The script was horrible. Most of the language was similar to Utah Valley mall talk mixed in with some King James language. The best parts of the script were when they almost quote scripture -- and still messed that up.

The costumes were horrendously cheap, along with everything else. I had to watch all of it just to see what all the talk was about. Luckily, I borrowed it from a friend so I didn't have to pay any money. I think they tried, even with such lack of talent. However, I also wonder if they should have stopped before they started.

The Book of Mormon begs to be made as much as many Bible stories. It's going to take more than a small budget to make the effort worthwhile.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexa
Member # 6285

- posted      Profile for Alexa           Edit/Delete Post 
The perfect union of inspiration and low budget horrible slaughter of the BoM would be if MST3K used it as a "comming back" episode/movie.
Posts: 1034 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.