FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Easter Island

Author Topic: Easter Island
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, the history of Easter Island is as follows:

People get there.
They cut down the tropical forests.
People eat each other.

What's up wid dat?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot, "Made lots of cool statues."

It's a pretty good example of how destruction of the environment is bad for people. Same as the American Southwestern desert. There's a good chapter on Easter Island in The Third Chimpanzee by Jared.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
hoos jared?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oops - Jared M. Diamond. Some guy, writes books on anthropology and evolution.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
He's the one who wrote Guns, Germs, and Steel right? Was The Third Chimpanzee good?
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, its more like this:

People arrive.
They cut down forests.
They make small and then huge statues.
They break into at least two groups.
A huge civil war kills many.
The island is discovered by Europeans.
Remaining indiginous poeple made slaves.
Some slaves allowed to return.
They die of small pox.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

But when do they eat each other?

Edit: Boo yea, after two whole years, I finally have 500 posts [Smile]

[ July 04, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
He's the one who wrote Guns, Germs, and Steel right? Was The Third Chimpanzee good?
Yes, same guy. If you liked GGaS, you'll like TC. Same accessible writing style, same underlying theories. It has much the same weakness as well - you have to remember that he's writing from a particular scientific perspective which relies heavily on evolutionary theory. It's valid as far as it goes, but he sometimes seems to think it can explain everything. Recognizing the feedback between culture, the environment, and natural selection, he gets cought up in the feedback cycle and ignores possible other causes of both cultural development and religious thought.

I don't think it's a fatal weakness - in fact, I think both books are excellent. He's up front about what branch of science he's writing from, and he doesn't denigrate other ways of looking at things. But you need to keep in mind that the books present a single point of view; they're so sweeping it's easy to forget that.

Well worth the read.

Dagonee

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Very nice. All topics on Hatrack can lead to Buffy, The Lord of the Rings, comic books, or Leonard Cohen. God, I love it so!

Dagonee

Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor Heyerdahl also wrote a really good book about his work on Easter Island. I am not near my library, but I think it was Aku Aku. As part of his adventures there, he and his group, with the help of the islanders, make another of the gigantic head statues (the first in hundreds of years). Apparently, there is some kind of lore passed down to a medicine man about the building and moving of the statues, but it had not been used for a long time.

Also, you will find out that if you dig up the heads, they have short bodies buried under the ground.

As a reminder, Thor Heyerdahl was the same man who build a balsa log raft and crossed the Pacific in Kon Tiki. He also built a reed boat and sailed from Egypt in The Ra Expeditions.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Gotta like a man willing to put his life on the line to prove his ideas. Was he accompanied by a safety boat on those trips, or were they really left to the mercy of the sea?

Dagonee

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.