FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mr. Bean may just be one of the funniest shows ever

Author Topic: Mr. Bean may just be one of the funniest shows ever
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the The Whole Bean (the complete collection of episodes) the other day and am now watching the second disc. I forgot how much I used to love this crazy British guy. Rowan Atkinson is awesome. Didn't I hear somewhere about him being in one of the upcoming Potter movies? May have just bean a rumer but that would be cool.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I have already purchased the complete series on DVD for my son for Christmas (yes, I am a man who shops ahead and thinks about his presents). We both love to watch Rowan Atkinson.

As much as I enjoyed the series, however, I thought that his movie version of Bean was not very good. He uses many of the same sight gags from the series that we have already seen before!

I have yet to see Johnny English, but was warned away by some other Bean fans. I guess I'll catch it on HBO some time.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Mr. Bean tv shows (and also love my Whole Bean set)!!! I also quite like the animated Mr. Bean shows too. [Big Grin]

The Mr. Bean movie wasn't that great. Johnny English was better. I'd not run out and buy either one, but they're good for catching on cable.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
He's 11 years old and his favorite movie is Monty Python and the Holy Grail. What more can I say?
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mr. Bean is one of the greatest comedies ever made. The movie and the cartoon, not so much. Why it lasted as short as it did is beyond me. Something that good should have lasted at least five years. Not one episode was a flop.

[ July 05, 2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Black Adder is Rowan Atkinson's best work. If you haven't seen it, shame on you.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, but which Blackadder? I think I prefer II and III, but they all have their moments.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny English was absolutely horrid.

Now Rowan Atkinson Live, THERE was an achievment to be proud of.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Black Adder is Rowan Atkinson's best work. If you haven't seen it, shame on you.
I second this. Black Adder is an amazing series!! The best one is the third generation, the eighteenth century one, but they're all good.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Rowan Atkinson doesn't get better than the Restoration Period Blackadders.

He's okay as the dopey guy, but he's beyond belief funny as the ever-thwarted machiavellian genius.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Mr. Bean...

I feel to sorry for him. Especially when his car gets run over...

That's right, call me a wuss. I get it all the time.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, I'm actually with you on that one... I like Blackadder a lot more, because I don't get the underlying since of embarrassment all the time. Bean makes me uncomfortable, and I always feel sorry for him too.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Mr. Bean is one of the greatest comedies ever made...Why it lasted as short as it did is beyond me. Something that good should have lasted at least five years.
This may have something to do with the nature of British TV. A lot of British shows end once the key players move on or lose interest, whereas here in the US, the networks will keep a sucessful show going as long as the ratings hold, even if they have to take on a cast of well-paid automotons and a writing staff of monkeys with typewriters.

Take recent British series The Office, for instance. Critically acclaimed, hugely popular (for a British series, anyway), and it lasted only two seasons.

In related news, my husband recently ordered the final season of Black Adder for me at DeepDiscountDVD.com--a peace-offering, since he'd also ordered Transformers Season 3 and the complete live-action series of The Tick. It worked pretty well.

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A lot of British shows end once the key players move on or lose interest
I was going to refute this citing Blake's Seven when I realised that you said 'a lot of', not all. [Big Grin] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.