FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes of Might and Magic

Author Topic: Heroes of Might and Magic
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've often played this at friends' houses and stuff... I've been looking for it, if only to replenish my nostalgic fibres, hehe... and my little sister's never heard of it, so I want to show it to her because I've always liked this game, and I think she'd really enjoy it.

I've looked in several stores, and for some reason, no place seems to have it. Does anybody know why this is, and/or does anybody know where I can find it?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Which version? There are 4 versions of it out there, now. The first one is too old, the second one is good but pretty far gone. The third was the best of the series, I think (and it had some expansions, too). The fourth, from what I have been told, killed the series by being horrible. I think this is why it is missing. Most game stores are having a hard time stocking PC Games any more, either. It is the time of the consoles again. Check E-Bay. Also, some of these older games can be downloaded for free (I can't think of the sites that do this, though). I mean free in the legal sense, not the Bit Torrent sense. Great games, though. If you want something similar and possibly even better, Age of Wonders has two games out (part two is supposedly a bit better than the first one) and they have a lot in common with the Heroes game. Combat is more tactical and the main map is almost exactly the same. Good stuff.

Ciao!

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the fourth one, which is awful. I finally obtained a copy of number three, the best in the series. Your best bet right now is Amazon or E-Bay.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Oh, um, the third I think is the one I've played in most places. Possibly the second, but I've heard elsewhere as well that I should try to find the third.

How did I not think of ebay?? Thank you! I'll try that in a moment. And I've never heard of Age of Wonders, I'll have to look into that too. Thanks fil. [Smile] You've helped a ton!

(edit: Amazon! Another great idea! Thanks, Anthro. [Smile] )

[ July 05, 2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Great old game! [Cool]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a lightly used copy of Heroes 3 Complete, e-mail me (from profile) and I can send it to you. I haven't played it in a long time. Still think it't as great game, just have moved on to other ones, and so am willing to part with it.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I play the 6th version all the time, and I know there's at least one more after that. It becomes far more RPG like somewhere between the 3rd and the 6th one, which might be why it's not generally thought of as being the same series.

Raia, the one you've played (at least at my house, nd I can't think where else you would have) is Heroes 2. Though we may have played Heroes 6 also, I don't think so, though.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*bows down to Magson* You are WONDERFUL. I will definitely take you up on that! *goes off to e-mail* [Kiss]

blacwolve: Ah, ok. Heroes 2. Was it at Mary's house that I played 3? I know one of you had it! SOMEONE did.

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I have HOMM 2 (with expansion) and 3 (no expansions [Frown] ). I liked the castles in 2 better, but 3 had a much better interface.

I think there are only 4 HOMM games out. There are at least 8 Might and Magic games, which are the RPG type.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I played the original Heroes of Might and Magic as a demo. I own Heroes 2, 3 and 4. 4 isn't as bad as people say. It's just a very different game from any of the others. Someone who really likes 2 and 3, for instance (as I do) will have a hard time getting into 4 (as I did, but finally decided I quite like it).

Until I finally got a copy of Diablo 2, Heroes (any version) was my favorite game of all time.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.