FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Riddles (A Game) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Riddles (A Game)
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
When the correct answer is confirmed, the winner posts a new riddle.

I'll start:

Who makes it, has no need of it.
Who buys it, has no use for it.
Who uses it can neither see nor feel it.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Coffin.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
yes [Smile]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Someone at a party introduces you to your mother's only sister's husband's sister-in-law. He has no brothers. What do you call this lady?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That's not a given in Massachusetts anymore. [Big Grin]

Dagonee
Wow, every thread CAN be a gay marriage thread...

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone looking for a free meal?

(Where's the beer?)

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

CT, yup. Your turn. [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you get when the getting's good?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Not your cheese (nocho-cheese).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

What have I got in my pockets?

Or if that one's too hard...

I don't really have any riddles... I'll give you a brain teaser but that may not really be what's desired.

You have two strings that burn at random velocities (i.e. the time it takes to burn a string will not necessarily be twice the time it takes to burn half of that string), given no other timing device, and only matches, how do you use those two strings to determine when 45 minutes has passed (and now sun-dial like answers [Razz] )

Hobbes [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Um, I think you left out a crucial piece of information on this one, Hobbes.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yes, yes I did. They each take exactly 1 hour to burn, it's the rates that are unpredictable, not the total time.

Hobbes [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Light one string at both ends - it will burn in 30 minutes if you do that.

Light the other string at one end at the same time. When the first string is burnt up, there will be 30 minutes of time left on the second string, no matter how much of it is actually burnt up at that point.

Light the second end of the second string; when the second string is consumed, 15 minutes will have elapsed (half of the remaining 30 minutes).

Dagonee
Edit: Riddle incoming in a couple minutes.

[ July 06, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

There are three cups of cofee and 22 lumps of sugar. How can you add an odd number of lumps of sugar to each coffee cup if each lump of sugar must be used in a coffee cup?

Dagonee

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The rope riddle's been used by Microsoft as an interview question.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'd heard it before, but I solved it on my own when I heard it so I didn't feel bad about posting the answer.

Had the ropes had 30 minute burn time (which is how I actually heard it), you would just wait to light the second at both ends until the first is out.

Dagonee

Hobbes
Member # 433

Can you cut the lumps in half? If so that's the answer, cut two in half and add 8 to each one.

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

I certainly would... some people count it as even, some say it's niether but I don't think anyone says it's odd.

Hobbes [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

I quite enjoyed solving the rope riddle as well, as well as another Microsoft interview question (I was chatting with a MS intern), but its too CS oriented to post.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
#1: 1 in cup #1, 1 in cup #2, 20 in cup #3. I sure think 20 is an odd number of sugar lumps for one cup of coffee.

#2: 11 in cup #1, then place cup #2 into cup #3, and place 11 into both cups at once.

#3: 7 in cup #1, 7 in cup #2, take the remaining eight to form a 2x2x2 cube, and place in cup #3.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
The sum of any two odd numbers is an even number.

22 - any even number is also an even number.

it's not possible!

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sorry, got distracted in the latest theology thread dispelling some Jack Chickish rumours.

Papa's Number 1 is the answer I was looking for. (No, you can't cut them in half.)

Number 2 is cheap, and number 3 would work if I said cubes, not lumps. [Taunt]

Your riddle Papa.

Dagonee
Edit: 0 could be counted as even for this purpose.

[ July 06, 2004, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I cede my riddle to whoever wants it. I have to go pick up my car.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Is this a trick riddle?

Is the answer carrots?

Dagonee

Hobbes
Member # 433

Fugu, I'd like to hear it, you don't have to make it an official riddle for this thread.

Dag, you think Papa's number 2 answer was cheap? Your's was $20,000 below sticker price! [Mad] [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Since Papa Moose forfieted his riddle...

What walks on four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, and three in the evening?

Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
someone been reading Oedipus?

It's man

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
New riddle:

If you're flying in your canoe and the wheels fall off, how many oranges does it take to build a house?

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Who's Oedipus?
I learned that riddle from my brother. Very few people get it right.

Hobbes
Member # 433

Ohh that's easy, as Confucius says -

"The building of a whole house begins with a single orange"

Hobbes [Smile]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
You can build a house with oranges?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Heh, k.

Its in two parts.

You have a linked list. First, design a program that discovers if the linked list is/has a loop.

Second, design a program that does the same thing in the same finite amount of memory regardless of list size.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Confucious confuses us.
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

It's a drunk joke. Ask them this one and they will try to "essplain" their answer or say they understand yours.

The answer? Three, because elephants don't lay eggs on Tuesdays when it rains.

I pass on the right of asking the next riddle.

As far as the line "Who's Oedipus?" goes: he was a young man who was challenged by the sphinx to answer the riddle or die. It is from the play Oedipus Rex. In it, an oracle prophecies that a baby will kill his father and marry his mother. The boy's father attempts to have him killed, but the person assigned the duty takes pity and allows the child to live. He grows up and has several adventures, including killing his father and marrying his mother. When he does find out the truth of his parentage, he kills himself. Freud uses this story to name his bogus Oedipus complex, where he says that all men want to sleep with their mothers.

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
what word is masculine and plural, but when you add an 's' becomes feminine and singular?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK, Fugu, I have two different answers for you depending, if the loop is garunteed to be a full circle (shape of an O) there's answer A, if the circle can start anywhere (like a 'P') then there's answer B.

Both answers in C++, but the language doesn't reall matter.

Answer A:

code:
template <class T>
bool CheckList (T *Start)
{
T *Current = Start;

while (Current != NULL) {
if (Current == Start) return true;
Current = Current->Next;
}

return false;
}

Answer B:

code:
template <class T>
bool CheckList (T *Start)
{
T *Current;
T *Mov;
int StartCount;

Current = Start;

for (int ObjectsTo = 0; true; ObjectsTo++) {
if (Current == NULL) return false;

Move = Start;
for (StartCount = 0; Move != Current; StartCount++) {}
if (StartCount < ObjectsTo) return true;

Current = Current->Next;
}

return false;
}

Hobbes [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

By the way, I haven't error checked my code, so if there's a syntax error, I'm A) not surprised, and B) not that interested. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 06, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks at C++ code and curls up into a little ball, quivers and cries softly at flash-backs of programming class* [Angst] [Cry] [Angst] [Cry]
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Jalepenoman- that sounds familiar now. [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

The loop can be anywhere, and the second answer is incorrect.

Edit to "clarify": the second answer is incorrect for either part of the question, though its logic could be used to answer the first part correctly (of course, there's a much easier if more memory intensive way; but we can use as much memory as we want for the first part). Its nowhere near the right answer for the second part of the question, though its closer to the right method of thinking than the easy answer for the first part of the question.

[ July 06, 2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Why? It gets the answer and it takes a static amount of memory no matter the size.

Hobbes [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

No, it doesn't take a static amount of memory regardless of size. It takes a static amount of memory as long as the list's size is less than the largest value of an int. Then it just fails. And once you use a non-bounded substitute it takes an amount of memory proportional to the length of the list, which is unbounded.

[ July 06, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::yawns at geekyness::

so here's a REAL riddle.

What can go up a chimney down, but cannot go up a chimney up?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

You realize I could get around that by declaring a "T *Counter", since the pointer is garuneteed to be of adequate size, or the rest of the program would crash first. [Razz]

Am I allowed to change the pointers themselves?

And Becky, just because it's you and for no other reason my guess is: a horse. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

I think I know kwsni's. An umbrella?
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Poke your fingers in my eyes and I will open wide my jaws. Linen cloth, quills, or paper, my greedy lust devours them all.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Clearly that one is a just-learned-to-crawl baby. [Wink]
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
guess again [Razz]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
scissors
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.