FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Long Hair (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Long Hair
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. 1 Corinthians, 11:15
I found that in the Bible once as a child and was very satisfied knowing that my mother was following the Lord's will. I was a little fearful for my grandma's immortal soul, though.

I told Mom once that I saw a picture of a lady named Crystal Gayle and that her hair went all the way to her feet. "It's even longer than yours, Mom."

"Yeah," she replied, "but she's short. Big deal."

I wondered often as a child why grandmas never had long hair. Then I saw a movie where one of those grandmas with a bun took down her hair and it was long.... and grey. It weirded me out. It was like long blonde hair, but grey. Grey hair, in my experience, was always short and curly.

When we're all old, will we cut our grey hair short and curly, or will our grandkids think that grandmas all have long hair? Or maybe our grandkids will think that grandmas all have Jennifer Aniston hair. As long as our grandkids don't think that grandmas have tiger hair - you know, the blonde Abercrombie girl with fat red stripes? Is she going to change that soon, or is that gonna define my generation?

My hair has officially reached my waist - the longest it's ever been. I'm wondering what to make my new goal now. Do I keep going, or do I get some concrete things like real-life events to eagerly await?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait until it's long enough to tie in a bow *around* your waist. Then I'll be impressed.

[Smile]

I cut off all my hair a couple of years ago. I looked very cute with a pixie cut (in fact, in a lot of ways it suited my face way better than long hair) but I missed my long locks! So now I'm in the process of regrowing it. It's very curly, and at a particulary disgusting length and shape right now. Kind of like an afro mullet.

But when I'm old I shall have gloriously long hair. I'll probably dye it outrageous colours. And wear my trousers rolled.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Cool! Can we hang out? [Big Grin]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Certainly. As long as you promise to help me pick up my hair from the ground when I'm too weak and feeble to.

[Smile]

On an aside - what do you do when you wash your hair? When mine was long I could never be bothered with a blow dryer (plus, hot air + curls = frizzies) but it took forever to dry. It used to irritate me in the winter.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'll blow dry it every once in a while when I want it straight. I usually put it up wet, because that's the only way to stop little curls from forming all over my head.

My new favorite thing is to wash it at night, sleep on it, and just wear it how it is the next morning.

imogen
Member # 5485

Aaah, clever.

I did that the other night with my short hair. I looked quite amazing in the morning - in a mutant-creatures-from-outer-space kind of way.

The cockatoo liked it though.

Annie
Member # 295

My newest plan is to look like this.
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
my dad has some spare strands or macrome cord you could weave in if you would like me to send them to you.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
My hair is very long, down to my behind and just barely not long enough to sit on. And that way it will remain as long as I have anything to say about it.

When I was getting ready to turn 30, all the local little old ladies with short gray hair started scolding me that it was time for me to cut my hair. I had actually been thinking about it at the time, but their insistence made me change my mind. I've cut it to shoulder-length a couple of times since then, but my hair is my best feature, and the longer it is the better it looks - even with the white strands it seems to have in more and more abundance.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

That reminds me of when Jo cut off her hair in Little Women.

I used to get so irritated when all the characters exclaimed 'Oh Jo, your one beauty!'. I thought it was quite rude.

This wasn't helped by the fact that the illustration on the cover of my copy showed Jo as quite a beauty, hair or not. Of course, that same cover referred to Meg as May on the back blurb...

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Meg was a selfish, vain, little twit anyhow. Jo rocks - long or short hair.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
I cut all my hair off once, and it looked very cute. I was 12 at the time, though. Shortly thereafter, I developed a figure and the pixie look no longer suited me. Since then I've kept my hair long.

Well, except for the time I got a horrible haircut and the stylist cut off 8 inches instead of 3. More, really, because he tried to do this bizarre layering thing in the back, so I had some weird, short bits for a while. Serves me right for trying to save money on a haircut. Some things are WORTH spending the $ on. My hair is one of those things.

It was down to my waist again before my last trim. Now it's a couple inches above my waist. I've never had a perm, and I've never colored my hair - I probably should have in college, before I had to look presentable for work.

I really like the idea of being someone's electric-blue-haired grandma, though. Gotta have blue hair.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
My hair is just down past my mouth now. More than long enough to be irritating. I'm just counting the days until summer when I can shave it again. 'Cept I promised Toni a picture of me with curls and I don't have a camera. Hmm... promises or comfort? Promises or comfort?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my hair cut progressively shorter over the years until it jumped from shoulder-length to about 3 inches of length my sophomore year. It actually suits my face better that way but I've been letting my hair grow down past my shoulders and my hair itself looks great right now. And it's actually straightening itself out! I haven't even had it trimmed in awhile, though, and my very very strange hair doens't allow for that. It's incredibly thick but now, because of the extra weight from the length, the top half is straight/just slightly wavy while the bottom half poofs out in a frizzy curly mess. Air drying my hair gives me ringlets and frizzies anywhere it's loose. Blow drying it takes FOREVER. The happy medium??? We're still working on that one. [Smile]
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't summer in Canada yet Bob?

I used to have my hair long. I like it long, but it gives me headaches so I can't keep it long anymore.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a really mild winter which generally means summer takes a while in coming. We've had a few days in the mid 20 range but it's still generally in the mid-to-high teens.

My hair is definately getting to the "looking really stupid" stage. My bangs are more or less straight but the hair in the back is all corckscrewy. Stupid hair.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife has long, beautiful hair, but since we werked in a restuaraunt when we met I didn't know how long her hair was until we began dating. At work she had to have it all up in a bun at all times, adn it was so long that she had to put it up before she came in for the night.

I still remember how surprised I was when she let her hair out for the first time. I had no idea how much hair she had wound up there!

I'm a sucker for long hair...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We had a really mild winter which generally means summer takes a while in coming. We've had a few days in the mid 20 range but it's still generally in the mid-to-high teens.
Until I realized you were talking in celcius, I was thinking, "Mid 20s is NEVER mild, especially in July."

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I just cut off ten inches of my hair for Locks of Love. It's right at my shoulder now, and I quite like it.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Being of the Grandma age, I have to say I will never have short, gray, curly hair. I've worn my hair on the shorter side, but not short-short for about 10 years and am ready for a change. I asked my husband if I should cut it again or let it grow and he said let it grow. What is it with men and long hair anyway? I am letting it grow and it is to my shoulders. My 80 year old mother told me the other day that I am too old to grow my hair long . . . What is it with 80 year old women and short hair?
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

When my Mom was young and living in the South, all "the ladies" told her she had to cut her long "hippie hair" as soon as I was born. One lady told her that the baby will swallow your hair and it will get wound around their intestines. I'm glad she didn't listen to them. [Smile]

I do dye my hair, though. I dyed it red in high school, and it retained a lot of that (or maybe my hair's just naturally redder than I thought), but I just recently dyed it dark brown. Not that anyone noticed, of course. [Razz]

I think I shall go watch Little Women again. Hee hee hee.... me and my one beauty.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenni and I were talking about Locks for Love the other day when I was getting a haitcut for vacation, and the hairdresser said Jenni could almost donate twice from one haircut.

Jenni then told her that she had just had 6 inches trimmed last month.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*wipes forehead*

From the title I was scared Annie had gone out and cut her hair or something crazy like that. [Angst]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been growing out my hair for over a year, and it's just getting to be past the middle of my back. I love having my hair long, but I'm beginning to think I need to have a drastic style change. Not necessarily taking off a ton of length, but something new and different. Too bad I'm a huge scaredy cat when it comes to taking risks!

Ruth, that's so cool you donated to Locks of Love! I noticed your short hair (and cute pigtails!) in mack's pictures of the get together. [Smile] Perhaps I should do that...

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Long hair looks beautiful.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have nightmares about my hair being long again.

I've also been told repeatedly by my sister (cosmetologist) and my own hair stylist to never grow it out. It won't look bad, but apparently my face is quite well suited to short hair.

Which works for me, considering I hate spending a ton of time in the bathroom and all the sports I do.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever cut my hair, I'd get clobbered by just about everyone I know...

I don't think I'll cut it when I get old. I'll just leave it, and it won't DARE turn grey! [Wink]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I cut my waist-length hair to send to Locks of Love. Now I will grow it out again, and repeat. I love long hair the best, and plan on having long hair in a braid when I am old, just like my Aunt Zell.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to have long hair, but I've got wavy hair that dreds up and gets gnarly as soon as it's near my shoulders... I hate having to comb it out all the time, so every year or two I get tired of it and whack it back.

Since I work outside, I do the opposite of what a lot of folks do -- I keep in long in the summer so that I don't have to use so much sunscreen, and I trim it back during the winter. Same with my beard, I keep my beard during the summer and don't shave until fall...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My hair always gets much longer in the summer, when I wear it up every day. I'm not actually sure how long it is right now - I haven't worn it down in weeks. For work it is in little clips or a twist, and on the weekends it is in two braids. It's such a pain to fix.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Random gardening notes: hair makes for good compost -- it's got lots of protein -- but if you compost it, mix it well with your other materials, otherwise it'll take a long time to break down...

Also, hair works well against slugs! If you trim hair into really small pieces, slugs will choke on it when they run into it...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I had just gotten my hair to waist-length when my godmother forced me to cut it. It now comes down to the middle of my back, but I'm working on growing it back. Long hair is great
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toes
Member # 4603

- posted      Profile for Toes   Email Toes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about 2 inches away from sitting on my hair. I'll also be donating it shortly, because it's just now getting to the 'too darn long' stage. My favorite length is just about to my elbows. That makes it perfect for the winter when it keeps me from freezing.
I've never dyed my hair. It's naturally dark brown, but in the sun it looks like copper. I'm too attached to it's natural color to change it.

Blow-drying is massacre on my hair. I just let it air dry, and depending on the weather it takes about a half an hour. Mind you, it's almost perfectly straight so it probably makes it easier to dry that way.

I've always told myself I would keep it long no matter what my age, and wouldn't try to cover up gray unless it was a totally different color...maybe fuscia at 60? [Big Grin]

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Gimme head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair
Shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there mama
Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

(somebody had to do it)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, it might make you feel better that my grandma's hair never turned grey, it didn't go white untill about a year ago (she is 82) and she still dyes it back to it's natural red glory, but lighter than yours now. It used to be as dark and curly as yours

Sarah

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

In fact, hair can be very rare.
Fred Astaire got no hair
Nor does a pear
Nor a chocolate eclaire
And where is the hair on a chair?
Nowhere, mon frere.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's varied wildly through the years. Here's a shot from before I cut back to shoulder length, right before the developing bald spot gave me the aging-hippie look and encouraged me to go shorter.
Front and back.

So? Pictures?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Raia, it might make you feel better that my grandma's hair never turned grey, it didn't go white untill about a year ago (she is 82) and she still dyes it back to it's natural red glory, but lighter than yours now. It used to be as dark and curly as yours

Sarah

Yay! [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of people tell me that I should cut my hair boy short. I can see why they think it might suit my face, but it's too risky. If it turns out horrible, it's not like I can... salvage it. ::makes face::
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
my hair is as short as it can be without sticking up. I much prefer short hair...as it is easy to deal with. I can't imagine what it would be like playing tennis out in the heat with long hair on my neck.

That being said, I prefer long hair in girls...not like down to their feet or anything, really around midback is perfect. Of course this is not something that is of vital concern...just a preference

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'Cept I promised Toni a picture of me with curls and I don't have a camera. Hmm... promises or comfort? Promises or comfort?
Well, I guess you could choose not to send me a pic like you promised.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Ralphie!

I thought you weren't supposed to use violence? *cowers*

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I just cut my hair off again, after growing it out for a couple years. I don't like all the haircuts i have to get when it's short, but i don't like it all long and frizzy, either.

It's kind of in shaggy disarray at the moment. Needs cutting again.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to get mine trimmed at least once a year, just to keep it from getting ragged on the ends, but I love it long. Mine is almost to the elbows now, and I am trying for just one more foot. I also wear mine up a lot, or in a braid, but I just like having long hair. When I was young I always wanted long hair but my mom made me cut it.

Mine is very curly, and the gel technology has advanced enough in recent years to make it easier to keep looking good when it's long. I usually wash and condition it and put Bedhead Creative Genius on it before I brush it out. It goes into long spiral ringlets, and the gel keeps it from frizzing much. When it's dry, I sort of squeeze the ringlets, and that makes them look soft. Second day I pull it back partially into a clasp, and brush it out into a soft frizzy "heroine of an old book" look. I would rather wash it every day but when it's very long it takes half the day to dry and I don't like having my head wet for so much of the time. [Smile]

If the weather is not humid, I occasionally blow it dry one small section at a time, then wind it up in round brushes to let it cool and set. It looks best this way, I think. It takes about an hour from start to finish, so I don't do it that often.

Mine has gray in it, but is still mostly dark brown. I don't think I will ever color it again unless I decide to go bright purple or something freaky like that, and really that look just doesn't go right with the eye crinkles of a 46 year old face. [Smile] Mainly I don't like how dry and strawlike colored hair can get. I think the healthy shiny texture is more important than the color.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
The lengths some gals will go to for purty pubes.

*shakes head in wonderment*

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband has a thing for long hair and I've always thought it was kind of sexist. That and whenever my hair has been past my shoulders he nags me to "do something with it". But it hasn't been that long in quite a while, maybe I'll go there and it will turn out that the friction was all about me.

My hair does the puff. For years I wanted that silky asian girl look, but it is not meant to be. I'm also morally opposed to coloring hair. Okay, maybe "morally" is too strong a word, but it blows out the liver. My mom said (so this falls in the category of factoid) that the darker hair coloring is, the more poisonouse it is. Now I like my hair better. Life is too short to spend it wishing my body weren't the way it is.

So when I was approaching 30 I thought I would not grow my hair out anymore. But I haven't started going grey yet. At the time I think I was looking at my older brother and he was getting some salt and pepper and it kind of freaked me out. But my oldest sister seems to be doing okay and she's 42 so I'm like "whatever."

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought all guys like long hair, but my husband hated my hair long. I'd been growing it out for a few years and he finally begged me to cut it. I did, mostly because I don't look that good with long hair. Plus I was tired of finding it everywhere-- I seem to shed a lot. Yuck. I have a firend who recently got her hair cut short and she said her husband preferred short hair too. Another myth debunked.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
But I do kinda miss my long hair, it was fun!
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand to have long hair...when it was long, it was just way too difficult to dry. I'm not girlie enough to even know _how_ to blow-dry my hair straight, so I just let it air-dry in its waviness. I had it short for a little while when I was like twelve, but it was so thick that it stuck out everywhere from my face and just didn't look good at all. *shakes fist* Short hair looks so fun to have!
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a guy, I can't say that really long hair is appealing.

Granted, several men have posted their preference for long hair and just as many prefer short, so tastes will vary.

Personally, I prefer a hair length somewhere between "just below the shoulders" and "page boy bob" cuts.

Although I do have a thing for ponytails. Dunno why... [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.