FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies you hate to admit you actually watch (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movies you hate to admit you actually watch
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I kind of liked Spice World. It doesn't beat Biodome, in my opinion.

Sample quote, for anyone who might be confused as to which is worse:

Doyle: Hi, I'm Doyle.
Bud: And I'm Bud.
Bud and Doyle: And when where not saving the environment, we're thinkin' of you, naked, thigh deep in tofu.

2. Who dissed "My Blue Heaven"? Someone is going to pay!

edit: Mmmmm, smaple quotes.

[ July 09, 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Your ashamed of "The Great Race"????

Are we talking about the Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Jack Lemmon, and very young Peter Falk thing?

quote:
"Push the Button, Max!"
that one???

That's an all time great comedy!
(and wow! was Natalie Wood a beautiful woman!)

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick Moranis! It was the combination of his character in My Blue Heaven and the one in Parenthood (okay, so basically the same character).

He's very handsome, smart, humble, kind of sexy (he carries a gun but doesn't feel the need to strut), laid back, and is at heart a complete, hopeless romantic.

Rick Moranis in Strange Brew = Not Attractive. But in My Blue Heaven? He dances! He was so cute.

*small voice* My crush may not have completely dissapeared.

[ July 09, 2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Beauty and the Beast [Blushing]

That one makes me cry every single time, and I think I've only ever cried at 3 movies and/or books total. It's always in the same place, too, so you'd think I'd be able to stop myself from crying but, no, it still happens. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I list Titan AE simply becuase not many people bothered to see it, and some deride as an example of why Japan is the only place for 'grown up' animation.

How about Hudson Hawk?

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup that movie. It does have one of the best old time sword fights, second only to Robin Hood IMO until Princess' Bride's revival of the genre.

And the pie fight.

"As a very wise English Gentleman once said, "He who fights and runs away, may live to fight another day." I have a boat waiting."

"I have placed this log in a water tight container, if found, it may provide valuable information to those who may follow"

"He shouldn'ta Hadn'ta Oughten'ta swang on me"

Uh yeah... I know the movie [Smile]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone is ashamed of "Support Your Local Sheriff?"

This is one of the two greatest comedy westerns ever made (a close second behind "Blazing Saddles"). It is much better than its sequel, "Support Your Local Gunfighter." James Garner is just great in this movie, and has a really strong supporting cast. THe scenes with Garner and Jack Elam or Garner and Bruce Dern are hilarious.

I forgot another one of my guilty pleasures. It came out when I was much younger, and I still watch it whenever I see it on cable. The movie was just another stupid teen sex comedy, but I enjoyed "Zapped!"

A lower budget, low brow, stupid comedy that I will admit to liking was "Hollywood Nights." It stars a really young Michelle Pfieffer and an equally young Tony Danza.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked both the "Support your local..." movies, but Sheriff was definitely better.

"Basically, I'm just on my way to Australia."

Harry Morgan is great as the crusty whatever.

And the villian's sons were funny as hell.

"He made me think my gun was empty, Pa."

Great movie!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh. You said Australia and that reminded me of one I've always kinda liked, even though it's bad -- Quigley Down Under.

[Blushing]

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not BAD!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

I happen to like "Beauty and the Beast"!

Not that I'd ever admit it in person, mind you...

Of course, I happen to like most Disney animation.

"We're not flying! We're falling...in style!"

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"and I had a crush on Rick Moranis."

Oh, Kat, you are strong and brave to admit that.

She is? um . . . [Blushing]

quote:
Hey!

I happen to like "Beauty and the Beast"!

Ditto!

quote:
Not that I'd ever admit it in person, mind you...
I would. *starts singing* Tale as old as time . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like "Beauty and the Beast." I think that it is the best of the modern era Disney cartoons. My favorite of the classic era Disney cartoons would have to be "Dumbo."
Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"She is? um . . . "

Oh my good heavens, don't tell me it is so. OK, fine, he does have sort of a cuteness about him, doesn't he?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Elizabeth, I think it started with Little Shop of Horrors . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

There is just something about a really geeky teacher type. When my husband puts on his reading glasses, I go kinda crazy, and he is not even a teacher, just geeky.

OK, no one really needed to hear that! But they did anyway.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It's completely true. Something about the intelligence and un-self-conscious intensity - it's adorable.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Elizabeth, I'm on the phone with a friend. So I asked her if Rick Moranis is cute (looking for support, here).

Her doubt-filled response? "Uh . . . I guess so."

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Nothing like those wimpy guys. Mm-hmm. o_O
katharina
Member # 827

He's not wimpy! He is a great shot with a gun and he punches out the ex-husband. [Smile]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Kat, that's a character he plays. Rick Moranis never had a plant that ate people. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

Can you prove that?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's not like disposing of witnesses is a problem when you have a man-eating plant.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Exactly!
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Dawn of The Dead, the old one. What isnt to like about 2 and 1/2 hours of zombie gore? Pure brilliance if you ask me,
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea there was a sequel to Support your Local Sherrif. Guess I'll have to look it up sometime.

Adding to the list some that I do actually own.

Man from Snowy River
Return to Snowy River
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken

Yes I was a horse-crazy teenage girl.

AJ

[ July 10, 2004, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's not so much a sequal as it is a movie with the same theme. I don't think the characters are supposed to be the same people; they're just the same stereotypes.

Dagonee

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

"Crash Test Dummy Test."

What, you haven't heard of it? That's because my husband made it with an old camara that had no focus or zoom. It's basically ramming cars with stuffed animals inside into large "buildings" made out of boxes and books. I watch it about once a month.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Armageddon.

Conan The Barbarian. (I also have the soundtrack by Basil Poulidarius-pure brilliance)

Caligula. (the worst movie I saw twice)

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keither
Member # 6681

- posted      Profile for keither   Email keither         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, i LOVE the movie You've got Mail, i tend to watch that several days in a row [Blushing]
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
First, my "seconds":

Seconding Katharina, "Zoolander" (well, Owen Wilson is in it, which makes it watchable right there).

Seconding Raia, "The Princess Diaries". So what if the target audience is teenage girls? It's a good movie.

And now, my additions:

"Road House" - part of the attraction is that a lot of the movie was filmed near where I live. And Swayze, while IMO is not that good-looking, does have that dancer's body...sigh.

"Toys" (Robin Williams) - yeah, this one got really bad reviews, but I like it. So there. [Razz]

[ July 11, 2004, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Toys was good, if surreal. Once was enough for me, though. *shrug*
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Conan the Barbarian was a fine, fine film, Alucard. No need to mention it here.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The kitten photos reminded me of a bad movie I like a lot: Loser, with the guy from American Pie and the gal from American Beauty. A movie that somehow made itself far better than it had any right to be.

Maybe it was Greg Kinear.

Dagonee

Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic.
And I used to LOVE Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. I haven't seen it in years, though.
I also like Dick, the Nixon movie with Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams.

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hindi movies. For the most part they are terrible when you start to think about it.
Dippy plots. Somewhat 2 dimentional characters but they have good music and WET SARIS!
And a lot of dancing...
*loves hindi movies. Especially Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Khabhi Kushie Khabhi Gham

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, most folks are generally pretty mellow when it comes to respecting other peoples' taste in movies... as compared to music, where people have much more of a tendency to be snobs and put down others' taste ("What, you haven't heard of this new group? And you actually like the Beatles??") Wonder why that is...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mickey_mouse
Member # 4533

- posted      Profile for mickey_mouse   Email mickey_mouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I know its been forever since I posted but I'm soooo bored at work. Anyway I'm a mediocre fantacy movie fan from way back so here are the top five guilty pleasures on my list:

5. Willow (just wicked good for cryin out loud)
4. Labrynth (Fell in love with Jennifer Connelly when I was about 10 because of this flick, and David Bowie rules!)
3. Heavy Metal (the late 80's version, with that soundtrack, animation and lack of any perceptable storyline how could you go wrong.)
2. Flash Gordan (Dare I say rediculously good .... no .... but ever so close. I mean come on the entire soundtrack is done by Queen! Awsome movie!)
1. Legend (Okay I believe its time for ... wait for it ... yep... REDICULOUSLY GOOD!!! oh yeah, thats right. No need to even explain this choice, ya'll knew it was comin.

[ July 12, 2004, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: mickey_mouse ]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Movies you hate to admit you actually watched ... to who?

I don't really hate to admit liking any of these ... but a lot of people do, and are ashamed for me.

Toys (Robin Williams)
Hook (Robin Williams)
Dante's Peak (Pierce Brosnan - I think that's his name)

Some that I have a hard time admitting to among my peers are most movies with Sandra Bullock. The only one I, personally, actually own is The Net, if that makes it any better...

Some I'd be cautious to admit to "sophisticated" people are:

Dude, Where's My Car?
The Mask
All of the Batman Movies I've seen (I haven't seen the last one)
Malibu's Most Wanted

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
Top Secret!
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The first two Terminators, sometimes I'm just in that mood. [Dont Know]

By the way, that goes for a lot of other similar movies, when I'm tired and in the mood for mindless action. And then I always end up feeling guilty. [Embarrassed]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'm a Disney freak so my all time fave movie is " the one that started it all".... Snow White. I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy Disney movies, my inner child just tends to be a lot more outer than most people's! [Taunt]
I am ashamed to admit that I have watched Blazing Saddles.....once.....the most moronic movie ever made! I will not make that mistake again.

I have seen The Princess Diaries, and I also liked Save the Last Dance and the Anne of Green Gables series. [Blushing]

[ July 12, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: JenniK ]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy the movie Undercover Blues .
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Blazing Saddles happens to be one of the funniest movies ever made. Mel Brooks is genuis!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"In the Army Now" with Pauly Shore.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in either Northern Virginia or Utah who likes ST V: The Final Frontier. I went through various stages of not liking and liking, mostly peer pressure driven. I guess most of my reasons for liking it are fairly personal.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy both Sister Act and Sister Act II: Back in the Habit.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Undercover Blues is great.

"I am Muerto!"

Dagonee

mickey_mouse
Member # 4533

- posted      Profile for mickey_mouse   Email mickey_mouse         Edit/Delete Post 
first of all blazing saddles was pretty darn good. No way that movie could be made nowadays without people everywhere getting ticked off. Also Pooka .... your pretty serious about ST V there. Gotta admit, not so good really.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mickey_mouse
Member # 4533

At work again btw, and again really bored. So You all know what that means ... ITS TIME FOR ANOTHER TOP FIVE!!! of course the reason that this ties in is because no one likes for others to know what scares the livin-bejesus out of them. And make no mistake these movies freaked me out.

Best horror flicks ever:
5. Gothica. I know, I know, lame right. Sure most of it was lame but that one scene with Halle all by herself in the asylum, and then that dead girl comes out of nowhere. I screamed, I'll admit it.
4. The Shinning. Not the one with Nicholson though, the remake done by king himself. Most of the movie blew, but there was about five or six scenes throughout that four hour epic that still scare me when I think about them
3. The Others. cool movie, good plot, and Nichol Kidman. But the end was scary. Maybe its because I watched that thing all by myself in a deserted dormatory in the middle of a deserted CU campus late at night. But I had chills.
2. The Exorcist. What? Just because everyone says its freaky means that I can't. It was freaky. Freaked me right out. That scene with the cross-stabbing, dude!
1. Event Horizon. WOW! When I saw this movie there were some kids that snuck into the theatre and sat in front of me and my girl. Halfway through they were literally crying and shaking. SO SCARY!!!

stay tuned ladies and gents, because I imagine that in a few hours I will discover new levels of bordum and be back with a new list.

[ July 12, 2004, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: mickey_mouse ]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I saw the ending of "Zapped" on TV once. It had Scot Baio and Heather Locklear in it, right? What's funny is they cut out some nudity, I think, but left in a lengthy clause in the credits that at no time in this movie had Heather Locklear appeared nude.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.