FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Secular" Book of Mormon (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The "Secular" Book of Mormon
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw your edit: as I believe I've mentioned before on Hatrack, what I like about Jeff Lindsay is that he actually has a sense of humour (something rare in apologetics, in my experience). I honestly haven't read much of his stuff -- just skimmed through his site and generally take a look at this blog posts -- but his writing style is a cut above most apologetists, I think.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the simple fact is that the Book of Mormon has failed to stand up -- as far as I am aware -- to every single bit of independent research done on its historicity and/or authenticity
A major reason for that (accepting that it's true) is that those studies have assumed it was a product of the Western frontier of 1830. If you're going to test something you have to measure it against the background it claims for itself, and the only ones that have been doing that have been Mormon scholars.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you're going to test something you have to measure it against the background it claims for itself..."

I'm not sure why the existence of horses in meso-American society relies on "background."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to get back on the original topic or anything, but I picked up the Doubleday edition today. It's actually quite attractive, and looks nice on my shelf.

It includes the same introductory notes as the Church edition (as well as the reports of the witnesses and Title Page, of course). The text is typeset in a different font, but the chapter and section headings remain - but since the footnotes were all removes, the approximate date footers now follow the chapter headings.

The appendeces are arranged differently, and isn't as exhaustive, I think, as the Church edition. Apart from the same pronunciation guide, it has a few special headings in the index for JESUS CHRIST, DOCTRINES, PEOPLE, and PLACES AND EVENTS.

I like this arrangement, and think that for non-members interested in a quick-find, this is a great decision. Heck, even members could find it useful, and a little less cumbersome than the Church Edition Index.

Doubleday has produced a fine work, and I'm interested in seeing if this has any effect on nationwide awareness and readership.

[ November 17, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the report Taalcon.

Question: how gold is the cover? Is it shiny? I hope not. It didn't look that way from the cover image released, but I read a news story that suggested that it was gold gold.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Nah, it's not reflective shiny, it's quite muted. It looks nice.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys see the missionary edition of the B/M that came out in the early 80s. It was a representation of the gold plates with the characters on them. SHINY gold, very tacky looking, a bit embarrasing really.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

You mean this?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.