FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sampling music online (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sampling music online
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I like listening to little clips of music online. Sometimes I browse Amazon's music store for things to listen to during work. Anyways, I figured this would be a great place to share snippets we love to listen to.

Here's something good. Click on the little speaker next to String Quartet No. 5, mov. V (it's the only speaker on the page).

[EDIT: make sure not to link anything you're not sure is legal. This link is the official homesite, and it's just a sample, but we don't want to get the Cards in trouble linking to something that is hosted with copyright violations!]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 13, 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That was very nice, Hobbes. I would never have picked you as being a classical-type music fan.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite band: Carbon Leaf

The three songs that automatically play are from their new album released today. I'm really excited, though this album is quite a departure from their previous 4 studio ones.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Really? Hmmm, I do like classical music, though most Glass isn't that classical, some of it certainly has strong overtones. For a example of some of his other work, you can try this one, and maybe this and this is pretty out there.

Some of his more inbetween stuff would be like this. I you like him, I can give you a lot more smaples and info! [Big Grin] I love Glass. But I was going to try and find some samples from other people as well...

just curiously, why didn't you think I'd like classical?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Carrie - they have some good sounds -- they're considered an indie band???? [Confused] I'm probably going to pass that link over to my daughter -- she would like them -- although I haven't made out all the lyrics yet.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hobbes.... ummmm..... I dunno... maybe because you're young..........and you're young....

(but I should know better)

FG

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
A really great band that a couple friends of mine are in.

http://www.buddaheadmusic.com

Their one "radio" song plays when you access the site. There's also an audio clips section with samples of alot of their songs.

I think they're great. At times they remind of me of radiohead. But i guess more poppy. Maybe a bit of Coldplay. Though none of them are british. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Here's an interesting mp3 from the composer's home site (he only has one sample mp3 [Grumble] ), though I think people would prefer Terry Riley's audio (try "Islands of Never Anger" first).

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

"Jaipur Local" In that link is also pretty fun. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hobbes! If you keep posting music, you're NEVER going to get that web service done....

FG

Hobbes
Member # 433

[Razz] Do you like it?

Hobbes [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

The Steve Reich link is pretty good (this said by me, a known Yanni fan), but I couldn't listen to the Terry Riley stuff because I refuse to install Real Player on this machine.

FG

Hobbes
Member # 433

Steve Reich eh? He's a werid guy, some of his stuff (like that link) seem almost normal, some of his stuff is literally swing microphones on different length pendulems over speakers to see the rythms it produces.

His most famous is defaintly this, which I highl enjoy (click on the "play all" down the page a bit). He recorded trains sounds, and then went and interviewed both people who had accompinied him on train trips around the nation durring WWII as a child, train engineers working durring WWII, and survivors of the concentration camps. He then adds on two tracts of a string quartet and mixes in the other sounds, complementating the melody of the speech with that of the quartet. It's very enjoyable. [Smile] (The last three tracks are electronic counterpoint, not all that interesting sadly).

For more tracts from the album of the mp3 I linked, try this (another amazon page).

Also this one is good, I'm not a big fan of the first two tracks, but the rest I like. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a term for you Hobbes. Instead of "Classical", think "Chamber".

Philip Glass, like many composers that work in this genre, is not so much "classical music" as "chamber music". Contemporary, often electronic chamber music, agreed. But that would be his genre, as opposed to folk music, like Rock and Roll and Hip Hop.

Your tastes are merely a cut above...

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Philip Glass is mostly referred to as "minimalist", though he hates the term and prefers “repetitive structure”. He is not, however, chamber music. Not that he doesn’t write a lot of chamber music, but for an example of something different check out this, this, and this. He does all types of music, though his chamber stuff does tend to be his most popular. I wouldn’t call Glass classical, but especially his modern stuff does seem to be becoming more so than his older works.

I don’t know exactly what you meant by “merely a cut above”, but I don’t listen to Glass to be “above” someone else’s tastes, I listen to Glass because I feel deeply moved by his music. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Have a realxing wake-up.

Hobbes [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hmmm. well that link blew up my Firefox when I tried to open it. Not sure I want to try that again...

Farmgirl

Hobbes
Member # 433

[Confused] It's just an mp3 file... werid.

Hobbes [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

This time it worked when I tried it again after closing/re-opening Firefox....

Farmgirl

edit: however, wish it were a longer sample...

[ July 14, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
*puts in Songs from Liquid Days*

I prefer CD's. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I have a Yanni CD here at work, but all the guys will yell at me if I put it in.....

FG [Frown]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Because it's Yanni, or because it's music at all?

I'm currently listening to Carmen Fantasy, I plan on putting in perhaps the entire Satyaghraha Opera (3 CDs) some of Einstein on the Beach, Dracula, the CIVIL warS, Drumming (Steve Reich), maybe some Nixon in China (John Adams) and who knows what else. Music kicks butt!

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Here's some interesting new Adams stuff. Hadn't seen it before, but I'm excited, sounds good. [Smile]

By far his most famous piece is Nixon in China (tracks 4 and 5 are by far the best of what's given there).

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Shaker Loops. (Track 3 is my favorite)

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 15, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hobbes -- how on earth do you get any work done while searching for all this great music?

[Wink] FG

Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm versitile. [Wink]

Glad you like it though! Here's some Dvorak and some Rachmaninov. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 15, 2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmmmmmDvorak.
Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just sitting in the library, yesterday, analyzing some of his music, too, hehe.... *shrugs* I find that odd.

[ July 15, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Anti-Christ ]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Poor sound quality, good music.

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

For CT. [Smile]

[EDIT: That link seems to be having issues, if you can't get it to work go here and then scroll down to the track listening where it also has samples. This is track 10]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 19, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

It's the only sample mp3 of that song I could find for you CT. [Frown] [Embarrassed]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm trying not to dance until Annie teaches me how. I plan on us learning to waltz, specifaclly to the first track there. [Smile]

But I appreciate the offer CT. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 19, 2004, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to hear this subterranean thing you speak of.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

The only people on this earth who really know how to play waltzs are the Viennese. Sorry, this is just a fact of life, kind of the way the only fabric softener that both softens your clothes durring drying and gives them that pleasent, fresh-spring-air smell doesn't actually exist.

I think Annie and I may just dance in Chicago, but right now she's being responsible and working and being a source of strength for her family and those around her. Like normal. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it does, Hobbes. Ever try Gain?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Actually I've only ever tried mouchinf off of one other person's dryer sheets and I don't think those were even fabric softeners that I took, so I've never really tried anything. It just seemed like the thing to say at the time. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, you know, the more Hallelujah the better, but my heart still beats only for Cohen
Ah..the song on Shrek? [Smile]

I like that song.

Maybe Cohen will be my next CD choice.

I really do like that song.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

See CT, in reference to my “creep out” comment in the other thread (that I’ve now moved to this one since the discussion seems to have returned to the actual discussion topic [Roll Eyes] [Wink] ) the problem I have with the lyrics is the mental image it creates (the reason it creeps me out). If I had to describe what pops up in my head it would be something like this:

I’m tied to a simple, but well constructed wooden chair that’s bolted to the ground. My hands and legs are secured tightly, and I can feel the rope bite into my flesh and tear at me as I try to squirm out of the knots, to no success. My mouth is uncovered, but I no longer bother to scream, as I have shouted my throat raw and dry and to no avail. The slight lacerations from this exertion are causing trickles of blood to run down my throat.

There’s a women in the room, it’s too dark to see what she look like but she’s pacing back and forth in front of me, holding something. Something long and cylindrical and from the looks of it: heavy. Hope is gone now, I know I will not survive this, the only question is how much pain I’ll be forced to endure before the end.

Suddenly she swings the object at me, at my throat, and I find that it’s sharper than I thought, not really cylinder at all. My whole body rocks back with the force, but the chair will not tolerate any movement, and my body slows forward, pulling against the chords that bind me.

My throat is broken and bleeding, I desperately try to bring air into my lungs, to survive and keep breathing, but the pressure is gone and instead there’s merely a rasping noise. I try to shout but only a hiss of air escapes the wide split in my neck. Blood from the cut is seeping down into my lungs, building up there; some is crawling defiantly down, over my throat and onto my chest and clothes.

My brain is beginning to give into the lack of oxygen, I can feel synapses shutting off and a curtain is descending over my eyes. I can hear, as if far off and muted, the sound of scissors, snip-sniping away, a familiar clicking of metal brushing by metal. I feel the delicate wisps of hair as it falls down from my head, wafting pass my blurred vision and coming to rest somewhere down below. The hair mingles with the blood still gushing out from the fatal wound, causing it to coagulate around the hair, sticking to my sweaty body. Hair falling down into my throat, vibrating with my futile attempts at breath.

As my vision disappears and my mind shuts down the last thing I’m aware of is the vague and constant cutting and clacking, and the warm and gentle breaths as they lightly blow the lines of hair across my now empty body.

That creeps me out, it really doesn’t creep you out?

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

<Post type = "Boring Hobbes post" Purpose = "Get ClaudiaTherese to notice this thread" TypeContainsRedundancy = "true">
<PostText type = "bodily function">
*cough*
</PostText>
</Post>

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Lara.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 19, 2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Well it seems like there's some sort of link between throat-breaking and death. [Wink] What do you picture when you hear it, or do you not react to music with a visual... phenomena?

Hobbes [Smile]

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The guy swung the pipe at me. It hit my throat, smashing through it. Too much pain to say cut me into pieces, and I lay on the ground a little while, barely holding onto life.

And then, I died. Nothing left but blackness.

[ July 20, 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ohh, I think everyone should post their reaction to those lyrics!

In the meantime, here's my (current) state's NPR live stream. Click on classical, we've already had Wagner today, it's been a good day. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Or you know, people could not post their reaction too. [Grumble]

[Razz] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

I only listened to the lyrics, I admit to not really reading them. I'm glad you're not here right now or I would have to explain to you that the color of face is in no way an endorsment for Communism. [Embarrassed]

I'd still love to hear the description of what those lyrics cause you to think of though. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Beautiful.

[EDIT: If that link doesn't work, you can go here and click on track 8, Lakme. [Smile] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 30, 2004, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

A couple of odd videos (music videos [Smile] ).

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

A fun little romp with a saxaphone.

Hobbes [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here like a capella music? Besides me and JenniK, that is?

If so....... try this

If you like that, go to this site and try some other clips. The Battle Hymn of the Republic is amazing, as if the rest.

Kwea

[ August 08, 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, my friends and I have become big fans of the BOCA albums - Best Of Collegiate Acapella... they've got assorted tunes by assorted collegiate choirs, and one comes out each year.

A lot of times, they try to be funny and do songs like "Lady Marmelade" and "Dancing Queen," but some of them are truly amazing. An all-female choir from some California school (UCLA?) does a version of Madonna's "Ray of Light" with all the techno noises and everything. My all-time favorite is Utah State doing "The Rainbow Connection." [Big Grin]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.