FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yet ANOTHER religious question...this time it's a generic Christian question... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yet ANOTHER religious question...this time it's a generic Christian question...
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't realize Jaime was Jewish.

*laugh* Ok, to me his last name is kind of a give away. [Wink]

PSI, I would make a distinction between blasphemy (which is disrespectful and/or inappropriate uses of God's names, or assigning actions or characteristics to Him that are) and idolatry. *shrug*

Taal, it's not a council, but yes, there is such an opinion. That is, phosphors don't count as "writing," but turning those phosphors into a printed page does.

quote:
Many titles and 'nicknames' were given, but only I believe only one Proper Name.
Really? There are at least two really common ones (each with multiple variants) and probably 5 somewhat common ones. Admittedly, that's in Hebrew. Surely they don't all get translated the same?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Really? There are at least two really common ones (each with multiple variants) and probably 5 somewhat common ones. Admittedly, that's in Hebrew. Surely they don't all get translated the same?
Not all of them, I believe. One of the many discrepencies between the original Hebrew translation and the current Christian version. Most of them are in there, though. [Smile]
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
And what "current Christian version" would that be?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be pretty much anything past the King James Version. Some of the newest ones may have all of them, since I haven't pored through all of the versions. Which do you use most?

I'm sorry, here is an explanation of some of the names in Hebrew. Many of them were eventually "translated" to things like "The Lord" and "On Most High" and such, when quite a few of them were either proper names or parts of proper names in the languages they were taken from. That is where the discrepencies lie. Very similar to how some words and names, when translated to another language, immediately sound either common-usage or hold less specific meaning. Many American/English names, when translated to their etymological roots, are not intended now for what they translate back to. This is the case with many instances of translation from Hebrew and some other passages in the modern Bible. As a caveat, I am aware that there now exist versions that actually include more than one translation for much of the text. One such copy is what initially created my interest in the differences of translation.

[ July 16, 2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Jutsa Notha Name ]

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Well, when I'm dealing with something where individual word choice matters, I use the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. Rivka and I have already established that the only substantial difference between that "Christian version" and the "Jewish version" she uses is that the footnotes are in Latin.

Perhaps you meant to say "English translation" rather than "Christian version"?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

Well, that's where it gets shaky. You see, some non-English translations, especially new ones, are more directly translated from reference, where older ones were not. They were often translated from a Latin or other base reference translation. Latin was a favorite of the Catholic church, which doesn't necessarily mean all churches, but is the largest of all the Christian churches and a good meter to measure by. It's not just English versions that have been translated "down" like that, though, because it isn't just the strict words themselves that are the issue, but keeping them in the same form (proper or common) and context as the original Hebrew.

I didn't say that the Christian versions I've seen are wrong, I said that they are missing some of the proper names attributed to the god and translated "down" to things like "The God" and "The God of Israel" and stuff like that. This, I posit, it where the difference in naming stems from between the two. Something got lost in the translation, and got picked up in another form.

Oh, and cool version. [Smile] I wish I could afford one of those, but all the versions I acquired were donations. I guess the people who had that book weren't ready to let it go quickly. [Wink]

[ July 16, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Jutsa Notha Name ]

dkw
Member # 3264

Justa, the text of the Biblia Hebraica isn't a translation. It's the Hebrew text, from the Lennigrad Codex.
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

No, no. When I mentioned non-English translations, I wasn't talking about yours. Sorry if I seemed to be.
dkw
Member # 3264

Okay. [Smile]

The point I’ve been hinting around, btw, is that there is no such thing as a “Christian version” that can be compared to a “Jewish version” and said to be different. There are differences in translations, both in versions translated by Jewish groups and in versions translated by Christian groups. But those are caused by different languages, not different religions. (Excluding, of course, some “paraphrases” that have been written with an ideological bent. I’m talking about the straight translations here.)

It's some weird urban legend that the Christian "Old Testament" is substantially different from the Hebrew Bible. I try to dispell it whenever I can.

[ July 16, 2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

Well, the version you use is not quite the same as the generally-used books, but I see what you mean. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to point out once again that even though the Matthew version of the geneaology includes women it is the Luke version that is thought to be Mary's geneaology (due to the way it is worded at the beginning about Mary being Joseph's wife) and the Mathew one that is traditionally thought to be Joseph's.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I love discussions about Jewish stuff and how it compares to Christian stuff. I got some "Jewish blood" (if you want to call it that) from my Dad, but I was raised Christian. I'd love to learn as much as I can about the "other half" of me. I feel frustrated that I wasn't encouraged to learn about the Jewish customs, etc. because I was a Christian. Christianity doesn't exclude Judaism, I don't think.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't YHWH the only revealed Proper Name given? You may be referring to El/Elohim - I was under the impression that was more an extension of a god-title, since other idolatrous gods are referred to (in groups, yes) as elohim, but only for the singular "God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" is the pluralistic Elohim used. Under the impression it was used sort of like "Head God/Ultra-God"

--

And speaking of 'Christian Version', most english translations, from the KJV forward, DO used the term LORD (in capital letters, to distinguish from Lord, a translation of 'adonai') to replace YHWH, more out of tradition than anything. (I believe even in some manuscripts the vowels for the Hebrew 'Lord', Adonai were placed above the YHWH in the text, so that it would be read as such instead of speaking the Name. That's where we get the inaccurate 'Jehovah'/YaHoWaH rendering) I believe the KJV only actually spells out JEHOVAH twice, although I may be mistaken on that point.

EL, ELOHIM and most deriviations thereof are generally translated as GOD.

A note that even the Jewish Publication Society's translation of the TANAKH uses this convention.

I'm only aware of two well-used translations that institute regularly a rendering of the Revealed Name - the decidedly Catholic 'New Jerusalem Bible' (which renders YHWH as 'Yahweh', thought to be the most correct rendering), and the Jehovah's Witness' 'New World Translation', which liberally renders 'Jehovah God' throughout (even placing it a few times in the New Testament).

[ July 16, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, do you mean Jewish religious traditions or Jewish culture?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

Taalcon, read the link I gave. You missed a whole lot of names.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Most actually appear to be adjectival add-ons to the basic El/Elohim and YHWH, the additions of which to me still appear more as titles than proper names.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PSI, do you mean Jewish religious traditions or Jewish culture?
All of it, I guess. I'm interested in the whole ball of wax.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.