FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I know how to make a bulleted list!

Author Topic: I know how to make a bulleted list!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
From a meeting this morning:

"I think these items on this page should be in a list."
"Okay."
"A list with bullets on the side."
"All right."
"The first line is this, and it is over just a little. Then this is the next line, lined up with the first one. <he pauses and looks at me until I nod> Then this is the last one on the list, lined up with the others."
"..."
"Do you see what I'm talking about? It needs to be a list."
"Yes, make it a list. About these other changes..."

<five minutes later>

"Don't forget that one document. Make that paragraph a list instead. With bullets on the side."
"Okay."
"Are you just agreeing to get rid of me?"
"Yes."

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Prove it.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we want to know what side of the conversation you were on, Kat? [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
  • How cool is that?
  • I've never seen its like.
  • What shall we do with it?
  • I think we shall go to the park and play on the electric meat-go-round.
  • Jolly good.
  • Pip pip and all that.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I thought you (kat) might mean in UBB code.

So how did you (Primal) do that?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[list+]
[*]One item
[*]Next item
[/list]

Only without the '+'

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
  • Dude
  • [Hail] Hobbes

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
How to make a bulleted list.

• Take list to open field.
  • Staple list to tree, post, intern, any useless thing around.
  • Pull out automatic weapon.
  • Step back several paces
    (the amount of space depends on the weapon. Rule of thumb, the bigger the weapon, the more space).
  • Shoot list.
  • Repeat.
  • Repeat.
  • Repeat until stress is relieved or until list is well tattered.
If list has disintegrated, use backup list, and do not repeat firing gun as often.

[ July 14, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
You can do it many ways...
  • Indent and hand-draw cute little starry bullets on the page.
  • Ask your boss constantly if he can make the next bullet for you.
  • Hit the "bulleted list" button up on the Word control pane.
The third is the least fun way to do it, and I would suggest one of the first two. I guarantee your document has at least a 50% increase in impression level if you do it the first way. [Smile]
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Use that second option.

<--Hates bulleted lists. They are just so much flash.

But smilies are okay! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] [Cool] [Roll Eyes] [ROFL] [No No] [Angst]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
  • You
  • can
    • also
    • make
    • a
    • nested
    • list.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
how far back you need to stand also depends on what the list is stapled to, if it is an intern then you may want to be further back to avoid getting messy.

oh, and instead of drawing the little starry bullets you could draw smilie faces, or pentagrams, those would also make an impression I think.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Perhaps you should just make a normal list and then walk into your supervisor holding the list and crying your eyes about how you just couldn't conquer the difficult task he'd assigned you.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I got annoyed about something like that, I'd ask questions just to mess with them. In a document context, it'd be something like:

"OK, so you want a bulleted lists with hanging indent. Should it be full or left justified?"

"How do you want the leading and paragraph spacing set up?"

"Maybe that should go in a sidebar?"

"Do you want a serif or sans-serif font?"

"Do I need to manually kern the space between the bullets?"

"Should we use depleviated or feorian bullets?"

Sometimes they'd actually pick one of the made up choices; usually they'd ask for my suggestion.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Should we use depleviated or feorian bullets?"
[ROFL]

That's great Dag! I'm going to use that sometime!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
"Do you want regular or armor-piercing bullets?"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Just don't use depleted Uranium bullets. They lead to an increase in Computer Viruses.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
  1. Another list of lists!
    1. Because xnera's a geek.
    2. No, really!
  2. Are you sure?
    1. Yes, of course I'm sure xnera's a geek.
    2. Don't be ridiculous.
    3. (And notice how there is no "e" in ridiculous)
Tried to make a three-level list, but it barfed on the code. [Frown] And I don't know where that phantom list item is coming from. Hmm.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Did you know bullets in printing got their name because actual bullets were originally used to cast the lead type used to create them in a printing press? The shape made it easy to center the dot on the lead blank.

Dagonee
* That's not true, but I bet I could get people to believe it. Has anyone here ever played the game Malarky?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to point out that, thus far, kat has not proved that she can in fact make a bullet list. Perhaps this guy knew what he was talking about.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Dag. That's almost as believable as the "Commas and periods used to fall off the printing press, and that's why they go inside quotation marks" myth. You should start a chain email or something.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Have we ever figured out why, in America, we do that? Every explanation I've seen in all my searches has had to do with the fact that those symbols were more delicate and were more likely to be damaged. Why is that so unbelievable?

There must be some good reason why we defy logic for convention.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

If it were highly believable, it wouldn't be a testament to my powers of persuasion to say I could get someone to believe it, now would it? [Smile]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Internal Dobie

I know how to make a Bullet list

Snarky
Member # 4406

quote:
Have we ever figured out why, in America, we do that? Every explanation I've seen in all my searches has had to do with the fact that those symbols were more delicate and were more likely to be damaged. Why is that so unbelievable?
It couldn't be due to their size, or their would be similar problems with i's, apostrophes, and exclamation marks, not to mention the quotation marks themselves. Plus, there's no special convention for periods and commas used elsewhere. Why would a comma between words be immune, but not a comma at the end of a quotation? Why would colons, semicolons, and exclamation marks be exempt?

Typographical characters were small metal blocks that were packed together with no space in between them. How exactly would they bend or break, and how would putting them somewhere else prevent it? Personally, I'd guess that it's a purely aesthetic convention.

[ July 14, 2004, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Snarky ]

Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

• Thank the heavens, the conversation was not with my boss. My boss is not an idiot.
  • The conversation was with the person who bore the responsibility for the project but is dependent on me to make it happen. Maybe he was nervous.
  • My co-worker and I are considering banning meetings for this project and sticking to e-mail. The above conversation should clarify why. [Razz]

[ July 14, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I'd guess that it's a purely aesthetic convention.
But see, the fact that the theory I stated is pretty universally accepted and the observance that there's nothing any more aesthetically pleasing about the inside-the-quotations periods and commas lead me to believe that we don't know very much at all about the first printing presses, and that it truly was a problem. Maybe "X." was more stable than "X".

Why would we bother making a universal rule if that weren't true? I think the most aesthetically pleasing place for punctuation is where it belongs.

And the fact that not even Snopes has debunked the theory makes me believe it's true. [Razz]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

Universally accepted? I've seen just as much "universal acceptance" of the ridiculous old theory that the 's on possessives came from a contraction of his. And of what "observance" of aesthetics do you speak?

Quotation marks weren't even used with the first printing presses, anyway. They were invented in the seventeenth century. And it's not like nobody knows how early printing presses worked.

I can't see anything inherently more "stable" about tucking commas and periods inside, especially considering the fact that colons and semicolons didn't get tucked inside. The characters in a line of print are like bricks—they're all the same height (though not all the same width), and they fit snugly together. It's not like a narrow brick in a wall is going to break or something.

And the fact that there are so many variations of your explanation—the characters break or bend, they fall off the end of the line, they get knocked out of alignment, and so on—has "myth" written all over it.

If there's one universal rule about punctuation, it's that personal taste and aesthetics reign supreme.

[ July 15, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Snarky ]

katharina
Member # 827

From a telephone conversation today with the same person:

"The pages on the web site have a yellow background, but when you open the pdf document, it looks like a pdf document."
"That's because it is a pdf document."
"Do we want it to look like a pdf document?"
"Can't really get around that as long as it is a pdf document."
"I know that. But do we want it to look like it?"

[ July 15, 2004, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
kat... that gives me flashbacks. I've had whole conversations consisting of those very things and variants.

Bah! Round and round we go. Where the technobabble stops nobody knows. But, someone will get hurt if it lands on me that's for sure.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Buy a Dilbert book or Calendar and put it on your shelf.

You will gain new levels of fear and respect from stupid managers everywhere.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out for the managers who grin evilly and say, "I'm Catbert!"
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
My first attempt at making a bulleted list:

• How am I
  • doing
  • so far?
Woah! That is so cool!
Thanks, Hobbes.

[ July 17, 2004, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.