FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most arrogant idiots

Author Topic: Most arrogant idiots
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
So I get a phone call. Happy, excited, I gambol to my kitchen. Is it my girlfriend calling? My family in Norway? Perhaps my boss? I'm kinda bored at the moment, I'd love to talk to someone.

[robot voice]Hello, this is Channel Nine calling. We have a poll (...) Press 1 on your touch-tone phone to start the poll.[/robot voice due to hanging up.]

I do not believe this! They have the infernal gall to call me up in the middle of my vacation, and not even have a human on the other end? It took me a full, gape-mouthed minute before I could make myself believe anyone would be so rude, and hang up. That's a minute of my life I'll never have back. Telemarketers at least have a living human, and you can have fun by asking them the colour of their underwear! A bloody robot? There's not even any satisfaction in hanging up on them.

[Mad]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
And then again, reading your post is a minute of my life I'll never have back.

But then, I would never have it back even if I were working instead if hatracking. So I'm cool with it. [Smile]

[ July 15, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you know that robots have feelings? Poor things, being so discriminated against. [Razz]
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
If it takes you a minute to read that amount of text, you need the practice. [Wink]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I am a dreadfully slow reader.

I just timed myself, and it took me 35 seconds to read your first post.

Of course, I'm sure you timed yourself so you know that it took a full minute for you to hang up the phone. [Razz]

[ July 15, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Of course! I am a scientist, after all. Surely you do not accuse me of using sloppy language? I grant you I was rounding to the nearest minute, and did not give a margin of error, but still. [Wink]
miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

- posted      Profile for miles_per_hour   Email miles_per_hour         Edit/Delete Post 
If you round how long it took me to read your post to the nearest minute, then it took me one minute to read it.

mr_porteiro_head (on landmark stake-out)

Posts: 143 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
coward - > mph

Unless it means you are devoting time and care to writing your landmark post.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to do something at 7,000 but all of a sudden I noticed that I had 7,005 posts and that idea was kind of squashed...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it really was a poll. Maybe they wanted you to rate on a scale of 1-7 how much you don't approve of George Bush or something.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I believe it was a poll! What I don't believe is their utter lack of elementary politeness. Why should I help them, when they don't even care enough about the results of their poll to pay a human to question me?
miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

- posted      Profile for miles_per_hour   Email miles_per_hour         Edit/Delete Post 
Amka -- I've been working on my landmark on and off for over 700 posts. It's mostly done, but I want to make sure I don't miss the 2000 mark.

Oh, and Amka -- [Razz]

Posts: 143 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Only the perverted ones. Normal androids surf the 'net for pr0n like the rest of us.
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least with an automatic poll you don't have to feel rude when hanging up on them. With a live telemarketer I usually feel obliged to at least wait until they come to a natural pause in their pitch before explaining I'm not interested. No such niceties would be necessary with a machine.

Edit: Too much skimming. I just noticed that hanging up on telemarketers was part of their appeal for you. Guess we're different in this respect.

[ July 15, 2004, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

I'm never rude to telemarketers, but I never feel bad for hanging up on them.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think a robot voice poll is the most scientific way to do things. That way inflection doesn't change when you ask questions, the questions are always asked the same way without accent, without changing of word order, and without misspeaking. You'll get a more consistent result that way.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

No, you'll get a worse result, because you are automatically leaving out people like me, who feel insulted. So your sample is biased.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Btw, is it rude for you to encounter a self-checkout machine at the grocery store instead of a cashier? Or for an ATM to give you money instead of a bank teller? Maybe I'm being too extreme in my examples, but I don't get your extreme adverse reaction to a robotic pollster. Then again, I'm in the Asimov camp on the "I, Robot" thread, as opposed to the Hollywood camp. [Wink]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

No, the difference being,

a) Those robots provide an actual service.
b) They do not invade my apartment.

miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

A human being on the other end of the line would have those same problems. [Dont Know]
King of Men
Member # 6684

Indeed, but a robot is even more rude - it can invade hundreds of homes without so much as a water break!
miles_per_hour
Member # 6451

Also, if you ever read an article or watch a news show which talks about the results of polls, then those polls do offer a service to you.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What I hate most are those robots that call and don't release the line when you hang up. I called the 800 number back once and tormented the poor guy who answered, then that poor guy's boss. He insisted it wasn't illegal. I quoted the statute to him. [Smile]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Also, if you ever read an article or watch a news show which talks about the results of polls, then those polls do offer a service to you.
Indeed, if I could bear to watch American television, such a poll might be of some use to me.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it takes you a minute to read that amount of text, you need the practice
You'll fit in just fine around here.

Are you British by chance, 'cause you sound just like my coworker?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I love those polls! I don't understand how people can get so upset about them. They're so much fun. And I've only ever gotten 2! [Frown]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.