FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear John (a "letters aren't everything note")

Author Topic: Dear John (a "letters aren't everything note")
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
What does it cost to send a letter via snail mail these days? Does anyone write in longhand anymore?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
37 cents for up to 1 ounce.

23 cents for a postcard.

Lots of people write long hand and use snail mail.

But it does seem like a slow and painful way to communicate.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
I send letters to a precious few loved ones, but all the rest of you sucka's can wait in line for a friggin' email, with the rest of the SWINE! BWAHA!

The D.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love snail mail, but whenever I write people letters, nobody ever writes back. [Cry]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to send a letter to order a gift subscription to 'Quilter's Newsletter' for my mother's birthday. Their stupid website refused to accept her address. When I emailed them to complain, they said that 'yes, it sometimes does that for American addresses too.' Helpful types, to be sure.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I did! I did!

. . . um, once . . .

*guiltily eyes partial letter that has been waiting for completion lo these many months*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

That's true, rivka, my apologies!! [Kiss]

And hehe, no hurry or anything... [Wink] (just kidding)

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm singlehandedly supporting the US postal service with graduation thank you notes.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I worked part-time in a post office for a couple of years.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, blacwolve. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I send snail mail to my grandpa. We tell each other about the books we are reading. I love it. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I adore snail mail! Saudade actually got me started on this back years ago when she was banned from the internet once for a month. Also when she went to Italy with her high school class. Saudade's letters sparkled so much with jokes and little cartoons all over the place. They were simply a delight.

Mine are not nearly so interesting as that, but I really enjoy writing them. Anyone who wants snail mail should send me some and I'll write you back. Email me for my snail mail address.

Actually I love email as well, but it seems both snail mail and email require for the person to be out of touch by conventional means (i.e. instant messaging) before I can get whatever it takes together to write them a letter.

Raia, I too seem to write about 3 times as many snail mail letters as I receive. Apparently that's typical for anyone who writes. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob first asked me out in a "snail mail" letter.

Of course, since I kept forgetting to go to the post office and actually pick up my mail he got tired of waiting for me to respond and told me what was in the letter over the phone.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and I've only sent one other thing by snail mail to Dana ever since...
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
What!?!

If that's whatever it is you've been hinting about for the last three days . . .

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually only use snail mail for birthday cards, thankyou notes, graduation, etc. because it seems more personal when it's in your own handwriting. If I'm just writing to catch up or something, though, then I'll use e-mail.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Raia, I too seem to write about 3 times as many snail mail letters as I receive. Apparently that's typical for anyone who writes.
It's a shame, isn't it?
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
What's snail mail ? [Blushing]

I could google it tomorrow and pretend I know, but hey, I'm in the 'stupid' mood again, so I'll ask here.

And by the way, why would you want to pay for snail mail (whatever that is) when you've got e-mail ?!

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Corwin, snail mail is just letter writing the old-fashioned way... sending them in the mail, with stamps, and mailmen, and everything... handwritten. It's just a fancy term, I guess, it's really not anything that exotic. [Smile]
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
If I get around to writing a letter, I will send it... and if I get one, I most ertainly write back! But, no one hardly sends me anything, so it's okay.

The D.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I just had to open my mouth... Or in this case, hit the 'Add Reply' button. [Smile]

Edit: And yeah, thanks Raia. [Hat]

[ July 18, 2004, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmpphh - not only do I write real letters and send via the USPS, I have retained ALL the correspondence I was involved in with family and friends back to second grade letters to and from great-grandma Mary in Bothell.

With all the grandparents gone, I rarely get real mail any longer.

*Sniff*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough we've started using USPS to send notes from my 4-year-old son to his grandmother. It's a great way to get him to practice his letters and draw.

Grandma is a geek, though. She writes back using a word processor and digital pictures. [Smile]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*giggle* You're quite welcome, Corwin! [Monkeys]
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
"Snail mail" is a retronym, a term that had to be coined to distinguish an old thing from the new version thereof. Other examples include "conventional oven" and "analog watch". Can anyone think of any others? I think this is a cool category of word.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
kind of a shame.

fallow loves him some old-fashioned love-notes.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.