FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fine Quality Products

Author Topic: Fine Quality Products
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I can get dismayed at all the CRAP that gets peddled these days. I could list a hundred things you should NEVER EVER buy 'cause they are cheaply made or don't function as advertised. And these aren't all cheap products either. Some a quite expensive and are found in high end stores. But I don't really want to rant about the bad stuff today. Let's list some products that we find to be of superior quality and well worth the price. I'll go first:

Victorinox Classic SD (Swiss-Army knife) - Really just about anything this company makes, but I'm talking about the smallest version of their pocket-knife (or "multi-tool" as they call it). It's the classic red-cased pocket-knife with a knife blade, screw-driver/nailfile, scissors, tweezers, and toothpick model. I've carried one around with me for the past 25 years. I have one on my key ring, and I keep an extra one with my craft supplies and one in my car. I've never had anything ever go wrong with one of these. They almost never dull or break (unless I've abused it). And they are CHEAP. Probably one of the best values in knifes. You can get this one at Target for around $8. I do tend to lose them for one reason or another. I just lost my most recent one at Six Flags when the Park Gestappo made me turn it in to security in order to enter the park and I was 3 hours away by the time I remembered to pick it up. So I upgraded to the "mini-champ". (Slightly thicker with 3 or 4 more tools, but still amazingly compact and equally durable).

Anyone else know a product they can't say enough good about?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Stain Extinguisher. I can't find it anymore, but it worked better on carpet stains than anything I've ever used. It was shaped like a fire extinguisher, puffed up like shaving cream and took the dirt with it. Plus, I'm pretty sure it was color-safe.

It was ten bucks a bottle but well worth it. I wonder where it went? [Frown]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Wal*Mart 1000-pack silverware.
Stainless steel, made in China.

Half of them cracked the second day.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Dyson vacuum cleaners.

They are very expensive, but worth it. So powerful, sturdy, great at filtration, easy to operate, just amazing.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they easy to repair on your own?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Zippo Lighters. We don't smoke or anything, but man was it neat to have one around when we were camping to help start the fire or the camp stove. Also cheap, but very reliable.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

The Gillette Mach 3 razor - smoothest shave in the world. Sturdy. Blades last a long time. It's a bit more expensive than the disposables I used to use, but man! I'd never go back now.

UoULG, do you really like your Dyson? I've been really interested in trying it. I love the idea of bagless vacs, but the one I bought is only good for about 1/2 the floor before the filter is so clogged it doesn't suck anymore. Are the commercials true?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Oh I so agree about Mach 3! No razor burn at all! YAY!
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
These guys make a darn good computer bag. I've had the VertiGo bag for over three years now, and it still looks brand new. And I'm not too light on anything I own. I've since bought a matching camera case, which is also excellent. Quality construction.
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Gillette Mach 3 razor - smoothest shave in the world. Sturdy. Blades last a long time. It's a bit more expensive than the disposables I used to use, but man! I'd never go back now.
How long do they last... I'm really cheap and if they don't last a long time then I won't by them. But I have been looking for a smoother shave. Head stubble is just not attractive on a girl. [Razz]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Mine last a couple of months. And a dude I met on the train introduced me to them...he said they made his head perfectly smooth.
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome... Hey just a side note: Does anyone know if you've been shaving your head for a while does the hair start to grow slower after a while. It's making me nervous.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

o_O
KarlEd
Member # 571

My beard grows in thick, but slow, so I can get by shaving about every other day or so. But I can use one blade for 3-4 months. By then, though, when I do change the blade it's like discovering the razor all over again. (So even when it's dull it's better than most of the competition.) My boyfriend, on the other hand, changes his blade much more frequently than I do, but he has much more sensitive skin, apparently.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

My husband changes his about twice a year, but he only shaves twice a week.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Columbia Panther Ridge Men's Hiking Boot

The only hiking boot I've found with a wide enough toe. I'm still on my first pair after three years. I bought a backup pair for when these die.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the Mach III is a great razor, but I don't understand how you can go so long between blades!

I must have sensitive skin. It really hurts when I shave with anything other than a very sharp razor.

I hate shaving. [Grumble]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI:"Are they easy to repair on your own?"

(Assuming you are talking about the Dyson vacuums)

I don't know. I've never had occasion to repair mine.

KarlEd:"UoULG, do you really like your Dyson?"

We love it. My wife fell in love with it at the store (Best Buy), but had to wait for the next shipment to come in because they were selling out so fast. Even when she went in as soon as the shipment arrived, she bought the next-to-last one they had.

When she got it home, she loved it even more. The suction on this thing is incredible. It's easy to move around and not too heavy to take up and down stairs. It has never given us any trouble at all.

KarlEd:"Are the commercials true?"

I've never seen any. But all of the literature I've read seems to be true.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate shaving too, mph. How often do you shave, and how often do you change the blade? I shave once a day, generally, although on weekends of if I'm in a hurry I can skip a day without looking too scruffy (actually, a day's stubble looks really cool on me, I think, because it gleams gold in the sun. More than a day and it looks black. Until it grows out for a week or so--then it looks blonde. But that's not on topic at all. Anyway, I probably change my blade once a month or so, and like KarlEd, it's always a revelation, when I do, just how much better the shave is. I really wouldn't want to go with another razor now that I've tried the Mach III. Anybody tried the Mach IV? The one that is electrified? I shave in the shower, so even though they claim it's safe for that, I'm pretty leery of trying it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fruit shaped timer that actually still works after a year. I thought it would be crap because I only paid 3 or 4 bucks for it. But maybe the key is I never let my kids play with it. P.S. I have no idea who made it, unfortunately.

[ July 20, 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
Gwan - A good friend of mine invented a product called the headblade. It is a razor specifically made for people who shave their heads. A couple years ago, it was voted one of the top ten designs in Times magazine. It has been bought by walgreens and target and apparantly baldys love this thing.

http://www.headblade.com

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Schick Xtreme 3 razor. I won't any other kind of razor.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I should invent something called the Shoulderblade for guys with... never mind. [Big Grin]

Nu Skin Perennialâ„¢ moisturizing lotion. OK, I work for the company and I get the stuff for free, but it is great stuff. My skin has been completely clear and and smooth for months since I started using it exclusively. No toner, no face wash, just Perennial.

[ July 20, 2004, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
The Leatherman Wave. I only got it a month ago, but I spent that last month on a trail/maintenanc crew (camping), and used almost every tool on it.

The Leatherman Micra is also really good. I've had it for years. It's more of a keychain size and has the best scissors I've ever seen on a pocket tool.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
ConAir curling irons. Don't get anything else. They last forever, turn off automatically, heat up in a minute, and really take a beating before they finally die. My sister and I share ours and we replace one every 2 years or so...that's 2 extensive uses per day (if not more) for two years. And we leave it out on the counter so it gets thrashed too. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.masonpearson.com/
you pay out the wazoo for these but they are unquestionably one of The Best. (Their closest competitor is Kent Brushes which are licensed to the Crown, but don't quite have the cult following that Mason Pearsons do.

(No I don't have one, but I have used and want one)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
All-Clad's cooking products, particularly their pots and pans. They're a delight to cook with, I wish I could afford them.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Circulon pan for $10, more out of curiosity than anything else. I love it, and so does JenniK.I thought it would be a real pain to clean, what with all the little ridges inside it, but it is the best pan I have ever used., and the easiest to clean as well.

I think I'll buy a whole set of them when i need new pans.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I was going to put a link to my favorite brushes, in response to Anna's, but their webpage sucks so I'm withdrawing my testimony. [Frown]

Ooh, this one is better.

Denman brushes.

[ July 21, 2004, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Bosch "Kitchen Machines".
This is just their term for Mixers. I always hear people talking about how great KitchenAids are, but people, forget about all that. Bosch makes the meanest, most powerful, most indestructible mixer in the world. These things rock!

My wife uses hers on a daily basis, for pizza dough, cookies, and most particularly her amazing homemade bread.

The only drawback is that they can be hard to clean sometimes, but that is a small price to pay.

[ July 21, 2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny story. I pass BOSCH national (maybe world) headquarters every day on my way to my own job. For a while they were having sign modification problems and on their building was left nothing but _OSC_. I didn't have a camera with me but I should have gone back and taken a picture!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
One product that I have been very pleased with is the cheap velcro sandals that I buy at Payless Shoe Source. They cost me like 15 bucks, they last a couple of years, and I don't have to worry about them at all.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I am pleased with almost everything I've ever bought out of the LL Bean catalog. My husband's winter coat from there is 13 years old, and still looks fine, except it's dirty (note to self: take coat to dry cleaners).
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
Dansko shoes.

They're expensive, but they last forever. The clogs have excellent arch support, and keep my feet dry in rain and snow (obviously I wear boots when the snow is deeper than my shoes).

I have wide, flat feet, so it's difficult to find comfortable shoes I can wear all day, everywhere (I don't have a car) that *also* look nice. Especially sandals, since my feet "spill" over the edges of most sandals.

I've never really seen the clogs on sale anywhere, though you can get seconds at the Dansko outlet. The store that sells them in my neighborhood has the sandals on clearance sale in mid-to-late summer.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Not really a product as much as a service, but for the money Netfix can't be beat. You get to rent unlimited* numbers of DVDs for one monthly price. No time limits on how long you can hold a DVD, thus no late fees. And no postage charges. The DVDs come in their own prepaid envelope. The company has all the popular DVDs and many many less known titles. They have movies, TV shows, Mini-series, etc. You can always have a couple of titles on hand and one or more in the mail.

*"unlimited" meaning as many as can pass back and forth through the mail based on your membership level. You can have 3, 5, or 8 DVDs at a time depending on your monthly fee (starts at $20/month).

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I <3 Netflix.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.