FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies with Pirates

Author Topic: Movies with Pirates
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any good movies about pirates (OTHER than Pirates of the Caribbean) that would be appealing to teens? We want to show them as part of a library-sponsored program.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Goonies!!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pirate Movie.

It's an "adaptation" of Pirates of Penzance, which would also be good.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
"12th Night" by Shakespeare...

[Wink]

Antonio the (gay)Pirate: "And for his love did I expose myself!"

[ROFL]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
What about some version of Treasure Island? I'm trying to remember some, but all I can think of is the Muppet version, and I've never even seen that one.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Muppet Treasure Island is great!

"Look. It's the one-legged man. Count 'em - one!"

Far better than Muppets from Space, whatever my sadly misinformed fiancee might say.

I second the Pirate Movie. There's also that horribly bad movie w/ Geena Davis - Cutthroat Island, maybe? Plus something called Buccaneers from the 80s - terribly bad, but fun. Might be R-rated, though.

Peter Pan has pirates, of course, as does Hook.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Swashbuckler: Robert Shaw and James Earl Jones
Sea Hawk: Errol Flynn
The Princess Bride
Muppet Treasure Island
The Master of Ballantre: Errol Flynn
Double Crossbones: Donald O'Conner (singer/comedian)
The Crimson Pirate: Burt Lancaster parodying Burt Lancaster
Captain Blood: Errol Flynn
The Black Swan: Tyrone Powers and Maureen O'Hara
Against All Flags: Errol Flynn and Maureen O'Hara

[ July 21, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't see the appeal of pirates. [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Monty Python's "Meaning of Life"?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Muppet Treasure Island!

"He's dead! Dead Tom's dead! Long John killed him!"
"Hasn't Dead Tom always been dead?"

Benjamina Gunn: Smollett. "Is that really you?"
Captain Abraham Smollett: "Benjamina?"
Benjamina Gunn: "Hi-yah!"
[Karate chops Smollett, sends him flying into the gong]
Captain Abraham Smollett: [to the gong ringer] "Old girlfriend."

Benjamina Gunn: "You left me standing at the altar."
Captain Abraham Smollett: "I was on a ship headed for Zanzibar. I got cold feet."
Benjamina Gunn: "You're a frog. You're supposed to have cold feet."

Rizzo: "I've gone way beyond afraid. Right now I'm somewhere between bedwetting and a near death experience."

Added: And for the Hatrack lawyers...

Polly Lobster: "I could have been a lawyer, but I just had too much heart."

[ July 21, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Yellowbeard !

and, um, Ice Pirates [Blushing]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
ah, Muppet Treasure Island...

Off to Zanzibar, to meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Zoot: I'm confused. Are we with the pirates or the frog captain?
Floyd: Just play the gig, man. Never get involved in politics.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I was thinking of Hook too. It was one of my favorite movies as a kid and still is.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
So for teens, you don't want any movies that were rated Arrrrrrrrhhh?

[Blushing]

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrr!!!!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*dang, Porter beat me to it*

Charrrrrm!

Arrrrrglye socks!

Smarrrrrrm!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
fil, that was bad.

I mean, that was really Arrrrrful.

Seconds "Pirates of Penzanzes"

Or as Rumsfeld has been quoted as saying, "I am the mighty model of a modern major general."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
There are the old Sinbad movies.
The most recent edition of Peter Pan.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
<=== really, really liked the recent Peter Pan movie

<=== in fact, likes it enough to buy it.

And that is sayin' something, for me.

[ July 21, 2004, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
NOT Captain Blood. That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my entire life. Ever. (But then I don't like Errol Flynn at all.)

That was why Pirates of the Caribbean was so wonderful. It was the pirate movie we had all been wanting to come into existence.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone mention Pirates of Penzance?

And I second/third/whatever Peter Pan and Hook.

[ July 22, 2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Kasie H ]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Muppet Treasure Island was fun.

I ALSO liked the new Peter Pan movie enough to buy it (I forced the boys to watch it again when their cousin was here, but it's not a huge fave for them). I was cleaning the kitchen when the "I DO believe in Fairys! I DO! I DO!" thing was happening, and I misted up. I'm a sap.

I remember the Pirate movie, too. It was fun. I still sometimes quote one of the McNichol chicks' lesser known lines in that movie. "The body is an eight, the mind is a ten" even though it's technically not true, in my case. Little funny things like, "Armor's a bitch" and so forth. Not great, but amusing.

Oooo.... Captain Blood *sigh* It's black and white, which may put off some teens, but oh, Errol Flynn won my heart in that movie! He was so cool. Amazing movie.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Nate and Hayes?
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
A pirate walks into a bar with a ship's steering wheel in his pants.

The bartender asks, "whats with the wheel in your pants??"

The pirate says, "Arrrr, it's been drivin' me nuts all day!"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yellow Beard? With some Python boys along with Marty Feldman and...er...Python boys? I haven't seen it in a loooong time, but I do remember enjoying it. Teens should be fine with it. All I remember now is one guy trying to find where he buried some treasure and trying to re-trace his steps but having to include every drunken mis-step, shuffle, limp, etc. Very funny. Can't vouch for the rest, though.

Arrr...

fil

PS Did someone mention "The Bounty?" Is that Pirate or just "High Seas?"

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to rent The Bounty.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everybody!
We're currently investigating Sea Hawk, The Pirate Movie, and Nate and Hayes. We need to view them for appropriateness and find out if we can get the rights to show one of them.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Big Idea's Jonah -- a VeggieTales Movie
featuring the amazing, the talented, the Pirates who don't do ANYTHING!

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
In "The Princess Bride," Wesley was the Dread Pirate Roberts ... there's a vague pirate connection.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*lifts eyepatch*

scans the waves.

*narry a mumble of disinterested im-posterior-iousnecessiprude*

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackbeard's Ghost... that one is ALWAYS fun! It's a Disney with people, and Peter Ustinov plays the pirate, it's a great movie. I grew up on it, and it's always been one of my favorites. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.