FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC's Review of I, Robot

Author Topic: OSC's Review of I, Robot
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I, Robot is better than the best movie I could have imagined coming out of Asimov's robot universe.
I thought Mormons didn't do drugs?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most sci-fi films treat the audience like a bunch of Mormons
What? That's an awfully specific demographic.

Wait; let me check...

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the hilarious script of Starsky & Hutch,
Did we watch the same movie?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I realized some time ago that OSC is living on another planet, which I like to call Bizarro-Earth, where up is down and green is red and mice chase cats and Will Smith vehicles are the best possible adaptation of the most beloved works of Isaac Asimov.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the only possible explanation for the gushing, glowing review of A Cinderella Story.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Be nice. [No No]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
They were.

*celebrates Bizzaro-Day beneath her shiny red Christmas tree*

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God, I thought I was the only one.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Momma #2 is 69 and a lionheart of a lady.
She loves to watch movies.
She likes the major majority of most of them.
OSC is kinda the same way.
Except when a moral line is crossed,
then he'll go all OrneryAngry on it.

Like, American Beauty.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from seeing I, Robot. I wanted to leave the theater I thought it was so bad. Then I saw this thread and read his review. I am in shock that he could possibly like this movie. [Confused]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's face it, everybody has at least a couple movies that they enjoyed, which are universally viewed as stinkers.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, its not that far from what OSC has said about literature in general. Those things that are the most praised by critics are usually fluff or morally bankrupt. Those things that critics loath are because they can't stand the adolation of the masses. Perhaps he has picked this up with movies.

Even with that, I must admit that he has gotten pretty lax in his praises of movies that probably shouldn't even demand the respect of the masses. However, to be fair movie critics that I have heard praise the film for its fun.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked I, Robot. So There! [Taunt]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
EW gave it a B or a B+ [Dont Know]

I haven't read the stories, so I may like the movie, I dunno. I do agree, however, that OSC has very unique taste. o_O

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's not as crazy in his pop culture columns as he is in his political rants -- his review of American Beauty aside, I tend to agree with him.

And I got his back on this one. That was a stinking good movie. Nothing I'll fantasize about on my deathbed, but it's well worth watching.

It's brainier than the Blade series (I realize how much that means), but it has the same general appeal to me -- it's fun, coherent, and a hell of a lot of fun to take a date to. Go OSC go.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Truly smart sci-fi movies like Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind are rare -- and don't make anywhere near as much money as the latest entry in the How-Stupid-Can-We-Make-Star-Wars series by George Lucas.

Oh yeah, what a doofus [/sarcasm]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Child of the Mind
Member # 1740

- posted      Profile for Child of the Mind           Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree with OSC, but I see where all of you are coming from.

There was a heck of a lot of Hollywood cheesiness. True. However, if you can look past that aspect of the movie, the central theme was interesting and definitely Asimovian.

So many scenes were directly out of one Asimov story or another, and the central theme was something that he developed in his later works, like Prelude to Foundation.

Dare I defend the Hollywood stuff, but many of Asimov's later books contained topless ladies, shower scenes, knife brawls, and so on. I don't care for all of that, but at least that aspect of the movie was slightly true to Asimov.

What I would do is rent the movie when it comes out, and make fun of the Hollywood stuff, but when something philosophical comes up, pay attention. It IS cool stuff, at least somewhat.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They were. *celebrates Bizzaro-Day beneath her shiny red Christmas tree*
I just wanted to chime in that Tom's Bizarro-Earth description and Leonide's take on it were hilarious!

Thank You. I have nothing else to add to this thread, though. Sorry... [Dont Know]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife kind of dragged me to this movie. I think I finally got past the title hang-up thing (being an OLD Asimov fan!) and sort of enjoyed it.

Asimov liked a robot mystery. He wrote several. This movie follows in that genre. Anyway, that is one way I saw it and it helped me enjoy the movie.

Another aspect of this movie that I think Asimov would approve of is the question of how can the 3 Laws be violated when they are guaranteed to be fool proof. He wrote a couple of stories on this concept also.

So I just sat back and kind of enjoyed the movie. Was not the best movie of the year, but it is far from the worst.

edit for this addition: I did not read the review in question. I just wanted to say something about the movie.

[ August 08, 2004, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: screechowl ]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.