FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » tatoos, ink, skin art... who has some, who wants some and should I get one?

Author Topic: tatoos, ink, skin art... who has some, who wants some and should I get one?
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone out there have some cool ink? I've wanted one since high school but also know that it stays forever and I don't want to be stuck with something that was cool for like a minute and then just seems really dumb. I know that I will eventually get one and I also know that it will basically be some type of tribute to my kids. I have put it off for so many years because I don't know what would be a good way to do it. I thought of just getting the basically old english letter and putting their names somewhere discrete, I've also thought of about writing out their names in some form of elvish or even dwarf around my ankle or bicep. Any good ideas? Any cool tatoos to share?
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my shoulder done with a small tatt of my star sign's symbol. I chose it for several reasons:

• I REALLY identify personally with my star sign.
  • Without some major changes in celestial mechanics, it will never change.
  • The symbol is way cool
  • I'm a Leo. Self-promotion is in my nature. [Big Grin]
Find some that never changes, that is of a design that will stay true, not just a funky modern work. Just go for it!
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

hopefully my kids will never change is such a way that they stop being my kids, that's the reason I want to do something with their names. I kind of like them alot and all.

My dad has a really cool tat of Jesus wearing the crown of thorns but its very abstract looking. More lines and patterns than a realistic picture. It's really cool. People ask him if its a tribal design a lot but when you actually look at it it's obvious what it is. It's all black except for two red drops of blood. That's another constant. Jesus is good and shouldn't go out of fashion anytime soon, at least I would hope not.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are links to my tatoos:
ring finger
Dragon on back
A koi on my leg - This is a cover up. Underneath the koi is a very ugly and stupid butterfly.

I presonally only like red and black ink and typically oriental old school designs.

www.bmezine.comis a good place to browse through different ink work.

[ July 21, 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: NdRa ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I just came in here to whine. I've wanted one for about 3 years, but Mr. Opera is dead set against them. It's funny; he doesn't care how I wear my hair, whether I wear make-up, how I dress, but he has actually said that he would find me un-sexy with a tatoo.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
beat,

I recommend one on your back. You don't see it most of the time. Then you're getting ready to hop in the shower and catch a glimpse of it in the mirror. It's like, "Oh yeah. I forgot about that."

My tribal dragon's on my back. Had it four years now, and I still like it. It's kept its dark color so it stands out well against my light skin.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a tattoo. Maybe several, such as a butterfly, a realistic one on my right forearm like a book of insects illustration.
I love tattoos. People come into the supermarket with some nice ones. I like full arm ones the best.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a tatoo this spring. It's a flaming arrow with an arc crossing the shaft. (The arrow with the arc is the symbol for Sagittarius) My boyfriend designed it for himself and I went with him to get it. It looked so cool when it was done I got one for myself. (We're both born in December.)

I think an arm band tatoo made from your kids' names in elvish script would be VERY cool. (Just be sure you're either done having kids or you leave room for more.) [Wink]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Celtic eternal knot.

Yes, go do it. Just be sure of what you want, obviously. Now I want to get another one! [Smile]

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one. No, you can't see it! <wink>

After 20 years it has begun to....uh.... become less distinguishable....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I might get one for my 40th birthday. I was considering a coyote placed in such a way as to make only the tail visible when wearing a bathing suit.

Downside: I donate blood regularly, and if I get a tatoo that puts me out of the donation cycle for a year. For me, that's too big a price to pay. Otherwise, I'd say, "Go for it!"

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure of why you want to get one because once you do, it is forever.

That said, my bud got a tribal dragon on his left pec and while it hurt like all kinds of hell, he's actually seriously considering getting a new one.

For myself, it would have to be something pretty significant for me to want to alter my body in a fashion that can't be easily undone.

The black tribal designs are best because they're easy to touch up if necessary and won't fade as badly or look nearly as tacky as the colored sets.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I once decided that the only way I would get a tattoo is if I was in the olympics, and if I was I would get the olympic rings. Since its not looking like I will ever be in the olympics I guess I wont be getting a tattoo.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
You should get " I <3 MOM " tatooed across your back.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have three tats. A blue pegasus, a wolf howling at a green moon, and a sword with red flames around it. I love 'em. The only annoying thing is I get some teasing for the pegasus, people (like Kama ;-)) saying "Ooh! A horsey!" Which makes the pegasus slightly embarassing at times. But I do like them all. I actually picked random designs in the store that I thought looked cool, because I didn't want to get a tattoo of something meaningful, because that meaning might change for me one day. And no, it wasn't "completely" random. I had an idea of what I wanted each time I went into the store.

Pics of my tats are on Foobonic.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
But it is a horsey!

[Monkeys]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody else's tattoos sound way cooler than mine, but I made sure to get things I wouldn't regret...for a while anyway. As much fun as getting a tattoo can be, forethought is a good thing.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
For girls and woman : why don't you try henne if you relly want to know how it feels to have a picture on your body, but don't want to take the risk for it to stay forever ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually picked random designs in the store that I thought looked cool, because I didn't want to get a tattoo of something meaningful, because that meaning might change for me one day.
You know, spandex used to be cool. Anymore, not so much. [Wink]
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone who has the date of her birth tattooed like a copyright symbol on the back of her neck. I think that has to be one of the most creative tatoos i've ever seen which is cool.

Overall I think the more creative the tatoo the better. However, I personally don't see myself getting one.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Two things to consider if you are YOUNG and want a tattoo: (These are things I've had to deal with in the 20 years since I got mine)

1) If you move up in the white collar world (corporate), you will be required, most of the time, to always have your tattoos covered. Tattoos are still frowned upon in that environment, and if you want to succeed, you might have to hide them. We have a corporate policy where I work that no tattoos can be showing (apparently something to do with customer relations). For me, that just means no lower-cut blouses or tank tops, etc. But tank tops aren't allowed at work anyway, so I just have to watch the neckline.

2) Same as #1, except for church. Totally, again, depends on you and your future. I wasn't attending a church at the time I got my tattoo. I do now. While there are no written/declared rules against displaying body art there, I just know that I would be in the minority if I would happen to display it, and that it could offend some of the older people (more conservative, traditional) of the group, or even perhaps change the way they feel about me. Sure -- it's THEIR problem, but I just don't want to purposefully offend. It is harder for me to find dressy church wear that doesnt' show at least part of my tattoo (on my upper breast)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sandy, that's an incredibly cool dragon.

I like tatoos on other people, but I can't quite see myself ever getting one. I'm not the same person I was at 20, or 25, or even 28; given that I'm constantly evolving, I'd be reluctant to force future iterations of myself to live with artistic statements I would make now. That's just me though.

I'm looking forward to animated and luminescent tatoos. I've come up with two different SF type ways that these could be done, which you may get to read about if I ever incorporate either of them into a story.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I love henna tattoos. [Smile] I've done it several times. Its pretty expensive here, though, unless you do it yourself and I had less success when I tried to do that -- the paste wasn't as good and I wasn't as good at "doodling"
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

I've wanted one since I was 16, ten years ago, and still haven't done it because I haven't been able to decide on something I really want to have. Now with the kids and the fact that I think they will always be important, I know that's what I want. Now it's just a matter of finding a cool or original idea of how to do it. I definately want all black, for some of the reasons listed above, it looks cooler and it's easier to touch up. I also agree with the whole putting it in someplace easily covered. I'm a teacher and enjoy looking profesional so that was the idea behind either an ankle band or bicep band. Here's a question, would the ankle seems a bit to feminine? I've had a few people tell me that but I don't think it would be that bad, just curious what other people thought. And again, any idea's of how to interestingly do two names?

When I was playing around with elvish I had written out: Sophia Rose and Abigail Marie, Daddies little girls. It fit perfectly around my ankle that way. PLus it had a very tribal or abstract look since elvish is very flowing and all.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, your kids have multiple fathers?

I love henna. I haven't done any yet this year. I'm pretty good at it, but my mom is the best. The ones she does come out looking beautiful, and completely professional.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
So is Dana having her hands done for her wedding, then? And where can I get a hold of this mother of yours? [Smile]
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've wanted one for about 3 years, but Mr. Opera is dead set against them.
Well, you already know how I would deal with any disagreements with Mr. Opera.
----

If you get one, make SURE you know someone who's had one done at your place of choice. Some places do one that fades out quickly. A hint is that they give "Free Touch-Ups". Often the only reason they do it because of how badly you'd need them.

My friend's favorite place to get on is the inside of his wrist because it's discreet and can be covered with a watch or a wrist band. It also doesn't stretch a whole lot over the years. Of course, I'm thinkin' that having the ink so near to major arteries is a no-no, but I can't say for sure.

He has a Mario mushroom. It will never go out of style or change, because who can change their roots? [Smile]

I've had so much experience with tattoos. I'm always the person people call to "put lotion on it" (to keep it from scabbing and peeling in the first couple of days, taking a bit of the picture with it) or "see if it's healing" or "hold their hand" while they're having it done.

I always said I'd get one when I was 18, but when I was 18 I changed my mind.

That whole "my body is a temple of God" thing.

But don't let THAT deter you...

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo . . . Midwest Hatrack ladies henna party!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Near arteries, almost anything is a bad idea.

In Atlanta (Georgia?), you're not allowed to be tattooed on or above the neck, if I remember correctly because of that danger.

I always thought of having a barcode done on my shoulder, but that's more my outlook on life than any real social statement. [Big Grin]

As to the anklet thing - eh? It's easily justifiable as "I work in a professional setting and it had to be easily concealed."

But yes, I think I see more women with anklet tattoos because anklets are a woman's piece of jewelry (generally speaking) and guys who get tattoos generally want to show them off, so in addition to any other concerns, they want them in locations easily displayed.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Learn something new everyday! I have never heard of Henna Tattoos. So tell me about them -- do they wash off after so long, or what? I did an internet search and saw some examples -- pretty!

Farmgirl

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I know it can seem pretty obvious, but if you want a tatoo, check that they they take ALL precautions for everything to be safe (AIDS etc). I did it when I had my ears pierced, there are some places where they use the same "piercer" for each customer. Yuck ! In the place I went, they pierce your ears with earrings you keep for about one month, and of course it's one use.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. I personally hate henna, but it's because I'm so bad at it. If I'm not mistaken, it originated in India. My mother-in-law was given full-body henna tattoos (I use full-body here loosely....I mean they tattooed all of her exposed skin) while she was there, sort of against her will, but she couldn't speak the language to stop them. They seemed to think she was just being polite by refusing. She really liked the results, though.

It's essentially a pigment that's created when you mix two "natural substances" that stays on for several days. The problem is that the substance that's created is very clumpy and thick, so it makes it difficult to do details unless you're really good at it. You leave it on until it dries, then crack it off, I think. You're left with a dark red pigment in tattoo form. It looks neat, but...*shrug*

Bad experiences.

(Oh, anyone is welcome to correct me on any of these points.)

[ July 22, 2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

That more or less sums up my knowledge, but if you're curious:

A quick Google brought up this.

-Trevor

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Henna is a plant. When dried and ground up and mixed with lemon juice or water it makes a paste. The paste stains skin and is used in traditional Indian and Middle Eastern body art. You leave it on until it dries and then brush it off. The resulting stain wears off in 2-3 weeks.

It's also used to color hair. Gives a reddish tint. The paste itself is green and stinky.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, it probably DOES stay on for weeks if you do it right. [Embarrassed]
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
The best argument I've ever heard for not getting a tattoo goes something like this...

"REmember yourself ten years ago. You probably did a lot of things that you now think are stupid when you were ten years younger, but seemed like a good idea at the time. When you are ten years older then you are now, the you that you are now will look about as stupid to you in the future as the you ten years ago looks to you now."

I really don't like tattoos. I have a cultural prejudice against them. If you want to decorate your body, do it in a less permanent fashion, is basically how I generally feel.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My younger sister has a butterfly on her butt. I give her no end of grief over it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Two tattoo stories.

1) Henna Tattoos (once showcased on a later episode of Xena) are very interesting. My wife got her feet, arms, and legs done when she was in India. It is part of their traditional Hindu wedding ceremony, the man getting a large snake done for obvious reasons. Its all very symbolic and mystical.

I'll try to dig up some pictures later.

2) My father discovered a biker bar not far from his home. They served cold bear in an outdoor setting, so him and his buddy, after a long day of doing nothing, would stop their and mingle with the dangerous crowd.

Both were in their 60's and my father was in a wheel chair, so there was no threat to the bikers. They got along well.

My dad, in his stroke-broken English turned to his buddy and said, "Like the framed art?"

His buddy turned around and saw their waitress. She was facing away from them.

Apparently she had gotten a tatto on her cheek. Her lower left cheek to be exact. I ain't talking face cheeks. This waitress decided to show off this peice of artwork, but ripping a perfectly square hole in her pants, that framed this body art.

I am not sure if that would be legally "exposing yourself" but I do know it made both of there day.

I will have to check with my dad to see if the tattoo was a "Butt-erfly" or not.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already. Think your artowrk through. DO your research, both on the piece and the artist you select. I have two tats, and I love them both. I will be getting more. In the near future, a celtic triple happiness knot at the base of my neck, and probably celtic-style wings (see Book of Kells) on my shoulderblades. Here's a pic of my 30th birthday present - a piece I selected from the Book of Kells, had enlarged, and added the colors of the Irish flag. My mom's from Ireland and my b-day is St. Patrick's Day. My being half Irish will never change, so my tat will always be appropriate. Also - it's on my lower back so it's not glaringly obvious.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
When you are ten years older then you are now, the you that you are now will look about as stupid to you in the future as the you ten years ago looks to you now."
Perhaps so, Paul. But my tattoo is a memorial to my dad, so I doubt that I ever will regard it as "stupid and silly". I have never regretted having it.

However, it also has not held up as well over time as I would like, but that is because my skin is getting old -- no fault of the tattoo..

FG

NdRa
Member # 2295

This is so great. I just came back from a 3.5 hour lunch break. My project manager and an engineer from work asked me to take them to get tattoos. The PM even sent me an email for an off-site meeting so I could go without anyone caring. Amy got a martini glass on her back, and Wendy a rose based design. Very nice work done by the guys at www.tattooasylum.com. I swear by these guys cause they always do quality work. They also signed on with the discovery channel to do a weekly show on tattoos where they will travel across the state checking out different parlors. I got bored so I went ahead and repierced my navel. Anyway, today has got to be the most fun I've had at work...ever.

[ July 22, 2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: NdRa ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever got a tattoo it would probably be a large Escher drawing on my back. Black only, so it can be easily touched up. Probably this one.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

Colors are just as easy to touch up as black ink. I've done it several times, and haven't noticed much of a difference in quality or time.
NdRa
Member # 2295

It's actually the shading that is most difficult to touch-up.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.