FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Scarlett Loser

Author Topic: The Scarlett Loser
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Never have I met a person that hasn't read the Scarlet Letter.

And never have I met a person that liked the Scarlett Letter.

I bet Hawthorne himself would have been bored by his own work.

Anyone actually like it?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I never actually read it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Neither did I.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
It was an okay book. It wasn't something that I would have read on my own but it wasn't terrible.

Still- I have not yet physically met anyone who liked it much either. :/

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it in sixth grade, prescribed by my mother for insomnia. It was an excellent insomnia treatment, I have to say. Before the end, I did get interested in the story, but he takes an awful long time to say what he has to say.

Not long ago some private diaries of Hawthorne's were published, which he wrote when his wife and baby were away for an extended visit, and he was keeping his son at home alone. The excerpts I read in the New Yorker were hilarious. I thought for sure they were a parody but not so!

One thing I thought was strange was the fact that Melville and Hawthorne were friends, and socialized together. Somehow I just could not picture prim and proper Hawthorne with the salty and testy Melville, who wrote such outrageous and funny things. I would love to have overheard some of those conversations!

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that it might be a decent book if the symbolism and whatnot wasn't beaten to death in HS english.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I swear that the purpose of HS English class is to make sure that Americans learn to hate to read.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Yeah, otherwise they might read and be exposed to all sorts of subversive ideas!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I've read the book and I thought it was pretty good. Certainly not a favorite of mine, but far from horrible.

I'll also agree with HollowEarth on this. My High School English teacher assigned the book to my class, but I refused to read it out of spite (and now feel a bit guilty about my know-it-all attitude in her class). I did well on tests of the book without reading a page of it by taking a few notes of the extensive (and silly) symbols she force-fed us. I never actually read the book until after the unit was over, and as I had already forgotten everything my teacher told us about it, I enjoyed it much more than I would have had I read it for the class.

[ July 21, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It was my favorite book until I read Worthing Saga.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Was Worthing Saga the second book you ever read? [Wink]
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was OK, my personal treatment for insomnia is Moby Dick.
Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I read the Scarlett Letter for the first time in Junior English.

Actually, I read it in junior english, as in, during class. I missed most of the class discussions because of this, which is probably why I liked it. When I finished, I read The Crucible during the rest of the Scarlett Letter time, which turned out to be a mistake, because we then read it aloud during class (ie, I had to pay attention) and then watched the movie. I'm not sure I'll ever recover.

I think my habit of reading in class whenever I could get away with it contributed a great deal to retaining my love of reading.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Read it in AP Lang.

Hated it.

Interestingly enough, the classes both before and after us generally liked it. We, with no exceptions, hated it.

I will say that I almost didn't hate the last chapter, though.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Never read "The Scarlet Letter". I think I was supposed to once, in junior high or high school. Then again, I didn't read most of what I was assigned in those years - too busy reading stuff I liked better. [Razz] Also, I did read "Catcher in the Rye" as assigned in 8th grade. Probably why I didn't read other assigned books - I hated "Catcher" and felt betrayed because the teacher had built it up as this wonderful book. I guess I wasn't about to make that mistake again.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I must confess, I really liked it. Of course, since I'm a geeky english major that makes sense. Hawthorne makes very interesting use of symbols throughout the novel and expands on some very intriguing themes. Go ahead, kick me.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, and the other Hawthorn stuff I read, but I haven't read it in years. Actually, that sounds like fun. Not that I really have the time right now, but fun nonetheless.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent so much time on the Scarlett Letter in high school that if I didn't like it, I would feel as though soooo much time and energy would've gone to waste.

I can't say it's one of my absolute favorites, but I did learn to appreciate it.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it and I loved it.

My heart went out to Hester Prynne in so many ways.

Grrrrrrrrrr that minister.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I ever read it; but I think I saw a synopsis of it on the "Wishbone" show on PBS [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen quite a few classics on "Wishbone". I can't even imagine how they condensed The Scarlet Letter for children.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawthorne wrote compelling and harrowing short stories and crappy novels. The Scarlet Letter could have been a compelling short story, but was padded into a crappy novel. If you edit it down to about a third the size, it's a fantastic read.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never read "The Custom House" section of the book. I think my HS English teacher MAY have even suggested we skip it.

I enjoyed the rest of the novel, though. Partly because I liked playing the symbol game in class. It helped that my teacher was really cool and fun.

Even more than that, though, was the fact that it crept into my psyche. I dreamed about it, dreamed I was there. *shrug* I've always really liked Hawthorne; I can't really explain it.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, his short stories *are* amazing.

What's the one...Young Goodman Brown, I think it's called?

That was a good one.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Is that what happened, Tom? I just knew he took a long long time to say anything. And yes, before the end, I did get interested in the story. So I expect it would have made a kickass short story, indeed.

The absolute best insomnia cure I ever found is the National Electrical Code. Mind-numbingly boring, yet I would wish to have memorized and understood the entire thing. So I try again and again to read it all the way through. I've never yet made it out of the first section. Instead I just refer to paragraphs here and there as questions come up in my work. But what if there's something I really need to know hidden near the end? And I never realize it's there because I don't think to look it up? That would be terribly bad! This should scare all of you! [Smile]

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone happen to know if Moby Dick was, in truth, based on folklore surrounding an obstinate and dissubmersive whale known as "mocha dick"? (sp?)

heresay. I've never looked into it, as it seemed so glaringly ricockulous.

fallow

edit: troubles inventing new woords.

[ July 23, 2004, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: fallow ]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
is it too late to say I liked that book.. and the kaioshinanator sucks. [Big Grin]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be about Gone With the Wind.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Soooo boring...the movie might have been better.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I came out in my glaring hatred of this movie.

Though I admit, it wasn't nearly as bad as The Red Badge of Courage. BLAH. Only book for class I ever stopped reading halfway through.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.