FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » O Brother Where Art Thou?

Author Topic: O Brother Where Art Thou?
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Lindsay just saw it for the first time. that movie is alot of fun. i forgot how much fun it was, especially if you are watching it with somebody who hasn't seen it before. hearing them laugh and seeing them smile at the stuff is a blast in itself.

that is all...

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get enough of that movie.

And I love the music.

Man! We're in a tight spot!

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it's "Damn! We're in a tight spot!"

But yes, wonderful movie full of great moments.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it. It makes a great double feature with Cool Hand Luke.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I knew what the proper quote was when I typed that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the soundtrack.

But I really didn't like the movie the first time I watched it, don't know, it just didn't click. Second time was better, but still not awesome. I guess it's due time that I see it again.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
durnit. I got Man of Constant Sorrow stuck in my head again. dang Soggy Bottom Boys....

[ July 21, 2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'm learning how to play that song right now. [Big Grin]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt about it the same way Zevlag does, but I don't really have any desire to try a 3rd time.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... 'O Brother' remains to this day the only movie to put me to sleep during a first viewing.

::ducks flying objects::

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

To this day, I have never been able to stay awake during 2001.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The Fellowship of the Ring put me out....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

- posted      Profile for drumsntolkein           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked 'O Brother' until we watched it in english and had to analyze its connections to The Odyssey. I kinda got tired of it.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Gopher, mph?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Dapper Dan man, dammit!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
"You boys are dumber'n'a bag of hammers!"

"I'm votin' for yours truly.
Well I'm votin' for yours truly, too!
*both look at Delmar*
Well. I'm with you fellas."

"These boys desecrated a fiery cross!"

"He ain't yer daddy. Your daddy got run over by a train."

"You will encounter many ob-stacles."

"Cows! I hate cows worse than I hate coppers!"

"Remember, Jesus Saves! But George Nelson withdraws!"

"Hot damn! It's the Soggy Bottom Boys!"

[ July 22, 2004, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Well this place is a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere."

"Usin' the Confederate flag as a miss-ile! I never heard of such doin's!"

[ July 22, 2004, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
It really is a funny movie. My entire family loves that movie.

quote:

Ulysses Everett McGill: You ever been with a woman?
Delmar O'Donnell: I gotta get the family farm back before I start worrying about that.

Memorable Movie Quotes

"I've spoken my piece and counted to three."

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
That is one of my 'litmus test movies' I think. MY parents LOVED it. RON'S parents just said, "Well, it seems like YOUR kind of movie, not ours."

That comment had the opposite effect of what was intended, I think-- made me feel completely vindicated about thinking my mother-in-law has a very limited sense of humor. I mean she's a good person, and I like her. But I think she actually meant that as an insult. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brothers! Oh, brothers! We have all gathered here, to preserve our hallowed culture and heritage! We aim to pull evil up by the root, before it chokes out the flower of our culture and heritage! And our women, let's not forget those ladies, y'all. Looking to us for protection! From darkies, from Jews, from papists, and from all those smart-ass folks say we come descended from monkeys!

How could this not be funny?
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Cows! I hate cows worse than I hate coppers!"
"Aw, George, not the livestock..."

<-- Big fan of the Coen brothers.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

How does their latest movie (the one with Tom Hanks) stack up? I was dissapointed in Intolerable Cruelty.

<-- Loves Coen Brothers also
<-- Has the yodeling/banjo version of Ode to Joy from Raising Arizona going through his head

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I thought The Ladykillers was the worst movie of theirs that I'd seen. On the other hand, I kind of liked Intolerable Cruelty. Not to say that it was as good as some of their others that I like (such as The Hudsucker Proxy, The Big Lebowski, or O Brother), but I still liked it.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the cable stations played it for about a week or two straight.

Everytime I turned it on, the girls were doin their laundry in the creek.

I had to watch throught he whole song.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"By the power vested in me as captain of the good ship amor veritas ..."

I loved the outtakes reel.
"Everybody eats berries".

Or is it everybody likes berries? Loves berries? How could I not know after sitting through that segment twice?

I think their point in doing that was "so you like out takes. This is what it's like to be a director/editor."

Yeah, so my inlaws shut down "Oh Brother" right at the Sireeens scene. I don't know what they thought they were about to see...

And they didn't get past the "fanny-hammering" (to use Heinze the Baron Klaus von Espy's euphemism) prologue of "Intolerable Cruelty".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had to watch throught he whole song.
You should always have yourself tied to a mast or your ears stuffed with cloth when flipping cable channels. It's just good sense.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought The Ladykillers was pretty good, myself. Not a classic Coen brothers movie, like The Hudsucker Proxy or Raising Arizona but better than The Big Lebowski or The Man Who Wasn't There.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the movie for the first time, and I thought it was beautiful and uplifting. There was a surprising amount of care put into the film and the way it came together for the soggy bottom boys. It's a lovely tale, charmingly crafted and eloquently rendered.

[ December 25, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It hit all of the right notes, from the importance of music and spirituality and marriage and confusion of the human condition. It was a big story told on a small scale. At every point, I got the feeling that the writers hit on the appropriate themes for the appropriate reasons.

It really is a lovely movie.

Edit:

My only grip was that they didn't earn the music. I wish they had written in that Everett had been writing a song for his wife, thinking about her, or something else along that line. It doesn't matter whether the talent is inspired by God or a gift from the devil, it's still a lazy man's excuse for not thinking. I think it would have been more appropriate for them to directly mention the gap between the life and the music.

[ December 25, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad's name is Everett. I was like, "Look, dad! It's..not you." *shrug*
Now I just say at random times during the day, "Dapper Dan."
No one seems to appreciate it, though. Hmph.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my most FAVORITE movies ever!! I laughed so hard my side hurt for a week. And I love the soundtrack. [Hat]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
"We thought....you was....a frog"

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
"DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE!"

Hey, Tater, my dad's dad's name is Everett. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite scene from the movie . . . When they're still chained up and try jumping on the train, and then . . . are pulled out.

It has me busting a gut even thinking about it! [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.