FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Weather forecasts are stupid, in case you didn't know that.

Author Topic: Weather forecasts are stupid, in case you didn't know that.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I check my local weather forecast and says it's raining right now. o_O I can sorta see a speck of cloud over the mountains, but whatever.

Would it kill them to look out a window before they hit "Publish"?

/rant

[ July 23, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the long term forecasts, 5 or 7 day are bumkus. Mainly because they said it wouldn't rain on my sister's wedding reception and it did. I think they should have to have accuracy ratings.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's supposed to rain on wedding receptions and father-and-son campouts.

[ July 23, 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of times the published weather is either the latest reading, which can be hours old because the infrastructure for tracking the weather was designed to collect data for analysis, it’s not made for real-time tracking, or is simply the predictions made earlier for that present time. Either way you’ll get inaccurate results, none of which are really the fault of the people publishing it, since they simply can’t afford to staff out as many people as it would require to get the current conditions right in every area.

Pooka, an accuracy rating would be rather meaningless. You could calculate the statistical likelihood of any weather report in general being correct, but the reason computer models are wrong is two-fold: the rules of weather development aren’t completely accurate (they can’t be) and more importantly, the data isn’t complete/ Small changes in weather in a localized region only take a short period of time to develop into big changes, and the likelihood of that happening is based on data that, by definition, those models don’t have (or it would be incorporated into the system). Predicting weather is so inaccurate because it’s one of the hardest endeavors of man-kind quite honestly. There’s no other system in the universe we know of that is complex and chaotic as our atmosphere, with the possible exception of Venus’s atmosphere.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between partly cloudy and partly sunny?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Hobbes, your point is taken...

but at the time I was checking the weather, the current weather said "Partly cloudy" and when I refreshed it said "Showers", neither of which was accurate. Someone's job should be to look out the window.

edit: It seems the weather wasn't inaccurate, just psychic.

*watches giant, black cloud roll over the mountain*

[ July 23, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the 7 day forecast is a marketing gimmick. They pull those numbers out of their... uh... back pockets.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Good save Pooka.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a chance to speak with the Producer of the weather department at a local TV station. He was the brains behind the talking head you see at night on the actual newscast, having a degree in weather science and working on a masters in climatology. He filled in from time to time, but was happy actually creating the forcasts and maps, rather than being on TV every night.

I asked him about 7 day forcasts. His response: "You want to know the truth? 2 days out, we're 50% accurate. 3 days out, 40%, 4 days out 30%, 5 days out, 20%. When it comes to the 7-10 day forcasts, honestly, sometimes I just make them up."

He then went on to explain that the computer models have a hard time predicting that far out and they have to choose between several possibilities.

My personal observation is that they normally do one of two things with the extended forcast.

1. Go with the averages and predict based on climatological history.

2. Predict the worst case scenario based on the models.

Option one gives you greater accuracy. Option two keeps viewers/listeners checking back for updates to see if that really bad weather is really going to happen.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
My rule of thumb for the Mostly/Partly Sunny/Cloudy deal is this:

Sunny = 100% Sun, 0% Cloud
Mostly Sunny = 80% Sun, 20% Cloud
Partly Cloudy = 60% Sun, 40% Cloud
Partly Sunny = 40% Sun, 60% Cloud
Mostly Cloudy = 20% Sun, 80% Cloud
Cloudy = 0% Sun, 100% Cloud

Or I just look out a window and go from there.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that looks like a D&D table ...
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was Mostly Sunny or Partly Sunny during the day, and Mostly Cloudy or Partly Cloudy during the night.

I mean, if you said it would be Mostly Sunny at midnight you'd better be in the Artic or Antartic.

And if you said Partly Mooney, well, that's a church or a bank president from a Lucy show.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.