FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Accents you love (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Accents you love
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
On the phone with a co-worker:

"Way'll get togethah toomorrah, at that may'in'. All raht. Bah."

Aw, I love a drawl. The courtly Southern gentleman is so much fun. [Smile] It doesn't happen at work, but in regular life, I just love being called darlin'.

[ July 27, 2004, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I would file southern under "accents I hate." Not all southern, just Texan, really, and it all has to do with bad associations with my redneck relatives.

I really like the New Zealand/South Pacific accent. It's like Australian, but somehow softer and with weird Es. I also like South African accents.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Snicker.

I live in Atlanta and I've yet to hear a deep, deep accent.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 6732

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
I really can't stand southern drawl. There's no specific reason for this, I suppose; it just doesn't ring right in the taste buds of my ears.

The Irish, on the other hand, have voices I'll never get tired of listening to. [Smile]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I really enjoy the southern and texan accents. Half of that reason is probably because *sooo* many movies and TV shows have tried to teach me that everybody with an accent like that is either ignorant, stupid, or mean, and I know that it just ain't true.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*Confused* I don't get it, Annie doesn't have an accent. [Confused]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Scottish. When we landed in Edinburgh, my friend and I nearly fainted because the bus driver had such a wonderful accent. You can imagine how the rest of our trip went...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
French.

*swoon*

I'm partial to a good thick Glasgowegian accent because it reminds me of Dad.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read the thread's title, I immediately thought of Famke Jameson role as Xenia in Goldeneye. [Dont Know] [Blushing]

Edit: Hey, that was my 100th post [The Wave]

[ July 28, 2004, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Mr.Gumby ]

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
English. Whether it's a guy or girl, I don't care. I can just listen to them forever.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Hah!

Ordering a big mac in Paris was a treat because of the young lady's accent. [Big Grin]

Of course, I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite accent.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I like different accents on different genders. For instance I really like the Irish and English accents on guys, but not really on women. But I love French and southern (Georgia-ish) accents on women, but not so much on guys.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love British, Scottish, Irish and Welsh accents.

On guys, I love an Oklahoman drawl...

Farmgirl

edit: (corrected for Bob's sake. That's what happens when I type too fast)

[ July 27, 2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Scotch?

You like your men liquored up, eh?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Irish, Scottish, English accents... They are rather nice. And German and French ones as well.
Haitian accents are pretty too.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the accent of the peeps in the rual areas of the Midwest... a cool cross between southern twang and northern. So cool!

I also love the Swedish accent. YAY!
And of course british... yum... [Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

We have yet to hear yours, Kama...

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

A dismissal of southern accents as ignorant merely displays the opinion-holder's own ignorance. My Texan English professor - with as thick a drawl as I've ever heard - would tear y'all to pieces. [Smile]

My two Latin professors, my favorite English professor, and my first love were all from the South, and I simply love the voices. It's like music.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like all accents, except those that people exaggerate or undertake on purpose. That always sounds wrong. I can't stand the sound of my own recorded voice, though, and part of it is that it sounds way more southern to me when I hear it on tape than it does as it leaves my mouth. [Smile]

I love those very cultured old southern accents like my grandmother's and great aunt's.

Whenever I travel, I quickly come to love the accent where I am, and start imitating it without intending to. Language just begins to play in my head that way, and so it spills out of my mouth too, I guess. Still, nobody's ever mistaken me for a native.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Sorry Kam - I haven't heard enough Polish to recognize the accent.

But I will cheerfully volunteer to hit the first person to say your accent is horrible. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot the final "a" in my name [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Nah, I nickname everyone.

Sorry. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

katharina
Member # 827

That's okay, TME.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Southern accents? Uhg. I can't stand them, they sound so horrible. (Living in the south doesn't help, either. [Frown] )

I love Scottish accents (Billy Boyd!), Irish, and Aussie. For that matter, I like british accents, too.
[Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I always think folks with really thick southern accents are putting me on. I LOVE Irish and Scottish accents.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Don't worry, Kama. My boss is a Wodzinska -- I'm pretty sure I know what to expect accent wise [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

Eruve, why is that? Have you had some bad experiences with people with Southern, and some good with the British?

In other accents that I love, I don't know if it is the country of origin or just his own sexy voice, but Antonio Banderas as a CARTOON CAT had me melting. That's one powerful accent.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina- No, not really. I just don't like southern accents. The grammer (or lack thereof), slang, and "twangy" sounding voices. *shudders* I was dissappointed when someone told me recently that I was finally starting to get an accent.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Bad grammar isn't part of an accent, and it's also not exclusive to any region. I think that's part of the stereotype. That's too bad that's how you think of it.

I figure it's culture. One of the most foreign-culture experiences I've had in a while was when I drove down to a friend's ranch in East Texas and stopped in a little two-stop-light town. The town diner, the local beauty shop, knick-knack store, and that hardware store (all operated by their local owners) circled the town square in the center of which a flagpole and a gazevo lazily kicked back. On a little side street was the tiny local art museum housed in a converted Victorian home. They were having a garage sale of frames out in front, and the curator of the museum was talking over the fence to the eye doctor with her office in the frame house next door.

It was so different, and so picturesque. It looked like something out of a book, and the horses and trucks lining the streets didn't dissipate that impression. I liked it. I like that we have it. I like that there are still parts of the US that don't look and sound like an LA strip mall.

If it was the sound of Indian or Turkish people or folks from the Australian outback like in A Town Like Alice, it'd be considered romantic. Since its Southern, though, it's not. I wonder why that is?

[ July 27, 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

quote:
Bad grammar isn't part of an accent, and it's also not exclusive to any region. I think that's part of the stereotype. That's too bad that's how you think of it.

That's true. I guess I've just found that often bad grammar and southern accents are related. Now the old southern accents, for example in Gone With the Wind, they were actually kinda cool. But so many people now are almost uninteligable, and sound like Boomhower from King of the Hill.
katharina
Member # 827

Boomhowser doesn't have an accent that I love, but I do think it's picturesque. Isn't it cool that in this age, where accents are dissapearing more and more, we can still stumble across some uniqueness?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Yes, it's just too bad nobody can understand what he's saying. [Wink]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
btw Farmgirl it is Welsh not Welch too.
[Wink]

Welch's makes great grape juice though.

I read Welch as Wench the first time and was very confused...
[Cool]
AJ

Favorite Accents: Australian and New Zealand

[ July 27, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything's pretty much been covered, but I'll throw my opinion in.

I like Russian and Irish accents, mainly on dudes. I have to really agree with Annie on the South African accents. I was watching TV on Saturday and I caught about ten minutes of some show called "Scout's Safari". There was a dude on there that got knocked out, and when he came to he said, "Deed anybodeh cotch the licenze numbuh of thot veeldebeast thot hit meh?" It was such a weird mish-mash of sounds put together, and it was excellent to listen to. But I pretty much like any African accents.

Southern......yikes. There are too many feelings associated with that one. When my relatives use it, it sounds like home...but that's only a good thing half of the time. I also despise any accent on myself.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I love TTT's Kiwi (New Zealand) accent, it's great!
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I like polynesian accents.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Clarifying the Australian accent further.

NOT the Crocodile Hunter.

I'm talking the accents of the Wallabies (Rugby) or in The Man From Snowy River, or the surfers being interviewed after competitions.

hmm... maybe hottness is a large factor in my inclination for Australian accents.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

oohhh...The Man from Snowy River. I completely agree.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah just the way he says "Jessica" makes you want to change your name so you can pretend he's talking about you.
[Smile]
AJ

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I melt for French accents. Holy crap.

And judging by Sean Connery's total sex appeal, I think ifwhen I go gay, Scots are gonna be high on my calling list.

And British! Whoo damn, that's so hot. You just keep talking, Tony Blair and Keira Knightley. Aw yeah.

Southern never really did it for me. Just, gah. Neither do most Latin American accents, but I know some guys who pull it off with real sex appeal -- female Latin American accents seem fairly neutral, in my experience, though they can still sound appealing as hell. French-Canadian tends to annoy me, but then, maybe I hung around with the wrong Canadians.

Have I mentioned I'm a total sucker for French accents? You fox, Pepe LePeu...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I do a rather convincing Irish accent, and though I speak French with only the smallest of English accents (I'm often complimented by native speakers), I can't for the life of me do a good impersonation of a French accent in English. Why do you suppose that is?

I also have a very dear friend who's German and remarked to me that no one ever seems to find her accent cute. I thought about it and realized that while she herself is very cute, something about the intonation of her accent is a bit grating. Why is that? Are there people who like German accents that could clear this up for me?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I have a friend who had a mission companion when he was in Germany who was from Texas, and my friend does an impression of his companion speaking German with a heavy drawl. It's hilarious.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I know why, Annie. The French accents on TV don't sound like real French accents, so when you try to do one you have to pull from a source other than your actual knowledge base.

That's what I decided anyway. My father-in-law has a heavy accent and can't understand the people on TV who talk with fake french accents.

edit: Syntax seemed wrong.

[ July 27, 2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's true. I guess I've just found that often bad grammar and southern accents are related.
You're confusing accents with dialects there, methinks.

While not generally fond of 'Southern Accents' in general, the only one I can single out that I think can sound quite stately is a gentlemanly spoken Virginia Accent.

-

As I've said before in general, most European accents make my Nondescript Standard American English accent (what most americans mean when they say someone 'has no accent') sound quite boorish.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I've been thinking a lot about how American accents sound to other language speakers. I've decided they sound really bad. Every syllable sounds really hard. The Southerners probably have an advantage over the rest of us there.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

AJ -- You would think I would know that since I'm of Welsh descent. It is just a bad day for me to be trying to type and think at the same time. Too busy here at work for me to be on Hatrack at all, but I can't resist...
[Big Grin]

FG

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Accents that make me grin are New Zealand, because it reminds me of Lord of the Rings, North of England (like Sean Bean, for example) just because it has a multitude of connections for me, and Welsh because it sounds really nice.

Being accented myself, I try to look beyond accents, but that doesn't seem to stop me from finding them interesting and cool.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
I go just a little bit crazy in a melty-twitterpation kinda way over a certain New Zealand accent.

Ohman.

[ July 27, 2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Some British accents are nice, but others are just annoying. I seem to come across mostly the grating kind here. Among native speakers, my favorite is probably northern England and up into Scotland. For husbands I prefer a slight Slovak accent. Like just enough to occasionally (but not often) say "wiolent."

In myself, I'm trying to cultivate an accent. Not, obviously, in English; I'll stick with what I've got. But I am forced to accept the fact that I will most likely never speak Czech entirely like a Czech, due to the combined factors of: 1) I'm a foreigner, and 2) I will have a very bad example at home. By the end we'll probably both speak Czechoslovak. [Smile] Since I will therefore always have at least a slight accent, I have determined to develop a sexy, endearing accent. Endearing in the sense that when I make a mistake, people think, "How cute! What a charming accent!" instead of "Doesn't she know that verb takes the sixth case, not the third?" Maybe a touch of mysterious and exotic thrown in. That may sound impossible for an American, but sources say my current accent doesn't sound American - just foreign. My main method of pursuing this goal is to periodically ask people if I have a cute accent yet.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.