FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's up with my eye?

Author Topic: What's up with my eye?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had an eye exam recently and there was nothing wrong with my eyes at the time. I'm not due for another one anytime soon, but I've got this eye thing that is bugging me and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is.

I look at the computer or watch TV with one eye.

I don't know why and I don't really control it. I'll just realize that I've been online for an hour reading hatrack, and one eye has been closed the whole time. I'll even subconciously cover my left eye with my hand, by leaning my face into it. Then when I open my left eye, it takes a while before it will go back into focus.

Anyone else do this? Is it a symptom of something?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry PSI - I keep both eyes open.

What happens when you try and force the other eye open and still watch tv or use the computer?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It means you're weird.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one evil eye...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have to force it open, I just don't notice it's closed. When I open it to see it's all blurry in that eye for a while and it is more difficult to bring things into focus.

I had a lazy eye as a child that we corrected, I thought. Could it be related to that?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Is it too late to fix it?
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
No, no. If you still have good vision in it you should probably see the doctor again and have him do more tests with your eye muscles. I would bet you've been doing this all your life and just didn't know it.

Edit to say, I mean you didn't know it wasn't fixed permanently the first time. And you may not need anything done at this point. You should see what the doctor says about it, tho.

[ July 30, 2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, I did the exercises until my eye stopped obviously wandering, but my mom stopped taking me to the doctor after that, and what does a seven-year-old know? [Smile] Now I'm purposely trying to read with my left eye to see if it gets any clearer.

I have a pair of reading glasses that were prescribed after my last visit, because of a slight fuzziness in the left eye. I bet it's related to the lazy eye. Maybe I can fix it! That would be cool.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
It's because you're slowly morphing into a cyclops. There's no need to worry until the eye actually falls out.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been known to do the same thing. I find that I just don't use my left eye when sitting in front of my computer.

Actually... Now that I think of it, I probably use my left eye a lot less than my right eye in general. I'm much more contientious about pushing my long hair away from my right eye than my left. The only reason I noticed that at all is because I always get an uneven sunburn on my forehead.

Wierd...

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I've been reading and it's almost definitely lazy eye. They treat kids by having them do eye exercises and wearing a patch on their weak eye. One exercise I did as a kid was to hold a pencil two feet in front of my face and continually focus on it while bringing it closer to my face. The idea is to make it so that there is only one pencil the entire time. I had to do it several times a day. Gah, I hated it. It helped alot but obviously not enough.

It's important to treat before you get old, or so I'm reading.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Just imagine Sauron with a lazy eye...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Is your hair long enough that the hair (on the side opposite from the part) flops over one eye? And too short to habitually tie back?

[ July 30, 2004, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No, I keep it behind my ears.
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered years ago that one of my eyes (my right one, curiously) is much weaker (nearsighted) than the other. Because the typical vision test measures both eyes at once, it may not catch a problem like mine. In my case, the eye isn't closed or blocked; its input is just ignored, and things look normal but I lack depth perception.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
When my eyes are weak I blow up hatrack. Taking days off from hatracking seems to have helped. I rarely need to blow up the zoom lately.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
What you need is one of these sessions.

Worked for Alex in A Clockwork Orange , anyhow. [Wink]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they covered the gOOd eye to make the lazy eye work harder.

And I do this, too. My glasses are no longer the right strength to read, so I take them off. Then I use just my right eye, because my left eye has an astigmatism, which makes it hard to read.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze Pook, I knew you had a temper... [Wink]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know why and I don't really control it. I'll just realize that I've been online for an hour reading hatrack, and one eye has been closed the whole time. I'll even subconciously cover my left eye with my hand, by leaning my face into it. Then when I open my left eye, it takes a while before it will go back into focus.
This happens to me, too, and I don't have a lazy eye, though one of my eyes is much more astigmatic than the other.

Sometimes, especially when I'm not wearing glasses, I find myself closing one eye to read or web-surf. My best guess is that I do this because the eyes are giving me different enough images that it's difficult to focus.

After I've had the eye closed for a awhile, it seems that my brain starts ignoring the input from that eye, so that when I open the eye again, I can't see anything but a darkish blur. After a few minutes, the eye seems to "switch back on," as if my brain had belatedly realized that "hey, there's images here to process".

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I do this too, but only when I'm reading and particularly if I'm very tired. I had a lazy eye that was supposedly corrected when I was a child, but I think the brain doesn't ever quite work right again. There are developmental things that if they don't happen at the right time, never happen. So it has that capacity to just sort of turn off which will be there for all of my life. Exercises really do help. Try doing your pencil exercises some more, if you can stand it. It's just like training a damaged muscle or something. It can certainly make it stronger and help correct the problem.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.