FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Outdated Video Games (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Outdated Video Games
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Masters of Orion II
Master of Magic

2 classics.

A friend has the newest Masters of Orion game. I haven't seen him in 3 months.

Pirates! was a game they had out when I sold "Tandy" computers. It was non-copiable boot disk, and would only play on thier PC clones. I miss that game.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I still play many older games...

Sim City 2000
Red Storm Rising (really, most of the older Microprose combat games are fun)
M.U.L.E.
Wing Commander: Privateer

and many others. I'm seriously considering hooking up my old system with my KVM switch to play them in their original form. [Smile]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Alcon: I was another sucker who bought Rebellion. I might have my CD still, if you can't find it I may be able to arrange something.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can get it through bittorrent, there seems to be a torrent of it up at http://www.suprnova.org, but I'm not sure if its functional or not and won't be able to test it for another week or so when I get home to my PC.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Worms
Heroes III
Civilizations(dunno if it counts)
Oregon Trail
Pokemon Ruby (sorry)

BTW, love the game site there.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Stars!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Pong!
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing about the really old arcade games like pong is that you can program you're own version. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got every Commander Keen game on my computer. As well as Silpheed and a bunch of Sierra's x Quest games. Day of the Tenticle. Tank Wars and Scorched Earth. Yeah, old games rule.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Tail Gunner, Red Baron, Battle Zone, any other vector graphics game.

Obscure PC Game of all time: Realms of the Haunting. AWESOME adventure, good action, sweet puzzles.

i.e. - it's the best of Doom, 7th guest, and Zork Nemesis (it's contemporaries) rolled into one.

[ July 30, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! Pirates! was the best game EVAR. I played the living bajeebus out of it after my knee surgury. I managed to rescue my long lost sister, mother and father I believe. Oh yeah, that game *killed*.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
oh... Cosmic Balance for the C-64...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Scorched Earth

Lemmings

Prince of Persia (<--- hell yah)

And I can't help but love Asteroids.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Stars! That's a great one, Farmgirl, another excellent choice. I've also been playing an old version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms (iv) on the PC.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I still play the original Commander Keen and Duke Nukem games (pre-3D).

In my opinion, the height of video game technology was the Super Nintendo. Downhill ever since (although the Game Boy Advance is nice).

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
For those who loved Pirates, Sid Meier is updating it. I don't know if anything can recapture the simple glorious fun of the original, but Sid usually seems to make anything fun.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

King's Quest, and what was it, Surgery or something.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

King's Quest VI drove me nuts. Quest for Glory IV however was excellent...
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
X-COM: UFO Defense is definitely in my top five computer games of all time list.

Lemmings
Out of this World
Wings, a very primitive WWI flight sim that had a strong narrative element, was great. It was either a Lucasarts or a Cinemaware game--can't remember which.
Defender of the Crown was fantastic in its day, but would probably fail to hold my attention if I were to play it now.
Populus II
Dungeon Master & Dungeon Master II
The Last Express
M.U.L.E.
Shadow of the Beast blew me away when it was released, but would undoubtedly bore me to tears now.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Speaking of older flying games, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat would have to be mentioned.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

I thought Quest for Glory III was the best. And there was nothing wrong with Kings Quest 6. 7 was a little odd and 8 was blasphemy.
Anthro
Member # 6087

I'm embarassed to say I play a distant cousin of D & D over AIM.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Maniac Mansion.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meruhesae
Member # 6698

- posted      Profile for Meruhesae   Email Meruhesae         Edit/Delete Post 
Final Fantasy VII [Big Grin]
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Meruhesae? Demon Diaries?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Day of the Tentacle... what a craazy game! That game was so funny and goofy... I remember the fake vomit on the ceiling... and putting the hamster in the microwave.. and going to get the fork so I could pop that stupid clown thingy and get the voice box for I dunno what... I also remember wishing that my character had an AK-47 or an M4 about a million times so I could just go counterstrike style and blow everything out of my path :-D
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Day of the Tentacle. That's one of my all time favorite games (Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to work on my computer anymore). The farthest I have ever got in the game though, was early into the future.

I have this CD with a bunch of popular old games, like Commander Keen 1-4, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Bumpy, Dino Park, Clyde, Lemmings, Carmen San Diego, Ugh and the list goes on. [Big Grin]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I have yet, to this day, been excited about the release of a Pokemon game of any sort.

I am, however, I huge fan of old video games. Some of my oldest memories include playing games on my Apple IIe and PC.

Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves
Aztec
Bouncin' Babies
Below the Root
Their Finest Hour
Carmen Sandiago (Various Flavors)
Hostage!
Bruce Lee Lives (Terrible game but I have fond memories of trying to figure out how to do anything)
F-19 Stealth Fighter
Curse of the Mummy
Q-Bert
Chuck Yeager's Air Combat
Loom
The Secret of Monkey Island
Wolfenstein 3D
Life and Death II: The Brain
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
The Legend of Kyrandia I, II & III
Duke Nukem I & II
Commander Keen (Can't Remember all the names)

Man... I can't even think of all the games I used to play. I've been trying to assemble some old PC parts to make a legacy system. I've currently got a Mobo with a P133 (gotta be able to play some games from the mid-to-late 90's) and 16MB of RAM. I also have a CDROM, PCI Video Card, Modem (just for giggles), Floppy (3.5) and some other stuff. I'll probably put a 6Gig HDD in it so that I have plenty of room for games and operating systems (I'll probably Dual-boot between DOS/Win 3.11 and Win95). I just have to get around to assembling it and getting the needed parts (KVM, Hopefully a SB AWE32, and an Old School Case).

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Zork!!!

I like the old text adventures best (like using my imagination... and actual video games are too addictive for me)

It's out of print, so Tom [Hail] sent me a copy of Infocom's text adventures collection, and I've had fun playing all kinds of text adventures I'd never seen before (Trinity, Leather Goddesses of Phobos, Hollywood Hijinx, Planetfall, etc!!)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Adventure
Bosconian
Space Invaders
Pacman
Pong
Centipede

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Skifree?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I like
Oregon Trail 1.0
Carmen Sandiego
Zork
King's Quest
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I have a question. In elementry school we were allowed to play with the computer if we had been particularly good that day. This was around 1986/87. The game we played involved going into a castle and finding secret passages and stuff. I never finished the game, but I would like to. The only thing I can remember was that one of the rooms was called the Chartruese Room (sp?). This game was played on an Apple. Does anyone know what the game is called?!?!?

Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess if Zork is considered a "video game," them I should've put "The Fool's Errand" here instead of in its own thread. It's somewhat graphically (quality) challenged, but less so than Zork. Of course, Infocom didn't really try.

And any time someone brings up Infocom, I must plug my long-out-of-print publishing-company-went-bankrupt-owing-me-a-boatload-of-money-I-never-saw book, A Shortcut Through Adventureland, Vol. II: Infocom. I don't always get credit for it on internet searches, since I have third billing as co-author, but it's me, goldurnit.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Yey Fool's Errand.
Papa Moose, did you know the author is writing a new one for halloween release?

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've loved every Infocom text adventure I've ever played, although I never feel the urge to replay Deadline or...oh, what was the hard boiled 40's style detective type game they had? I wasn't wild about it either.

My favorite Infocom games have been
Zork
The Enchanter Series
Suspended
Beyond Zork (or was it Zork Zero? I'm thinking of the one that featured to Coconut of Quendor very prominently. It's been too long)
Hitchhiker's guide
and my all time favorite, Trinity. My god that was an involving game.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Noemon -- yep the coconut one was Beyond Zork.

I like the fantasy/SF adventures the best -- they're usually the most creative and funny. The Leather Goddesses of Phobos one is a lot of fun, definitely recommend it, though I think that one's hard to find.

I'm playing "Infidel" currently, another Infocom one, and that one's not as much fun -- exploring a lost pyramid. So far it's just been logic puzzles without any other characters to interact with...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
The brick game(forgot real name)

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved all of the old Sierra Games. I think the Quest for Glory / Hero's Quest series was my favorite, but I also liked Space Quest and, yes, even a couple of the King's Quest games. And let's not forget about Leisure Suit Larry.

The Infocom games were great. Zork through Zork III were all great, but after that the series went downhill. The Enchanter and Planetfall series were both awesome. In my opinion, though, the best of the Infocom games, and still one of the best games ever written was A Mind Forever Voyaging.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Jake, I think the detective one you're thinking of may be The Suspect.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Infocom's three noir mysteries were Deadline, Witness, andSuspect.

[ August 02, 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, Leather Goddesses of Phobos was great. I only played it on the "lewd" setting though. Anybody play it through on the less racy settings to see how different it was?

Witness was the mystery I was thinking of, I think. It was the one with Monica in the bungalow, right? Deadline was the one in the mansion, and Suspect was the one at the costume party? I only messed around with Suspect--it didn't hold my attention as well as most of the others.

plaid
Member # 2393

Noemon -- yep I tried it, the tame version uses less, um, vocabulary, and instead of making out with the harem princess, you have long discussions with her about laundry lint and economics and other fascinating subjects [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

I figured that it was probably pretty funny.
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've got every Commander Keen game on my computer. As well as Silpheed and a bunch of Sierra's x Quest games. Day of the Tenticle. Tank Wars and Scorched Earth. Yeah, old games rule.
Man, I remember Slipheed... that demo was a *lot* of fun. You also get a cookie for Day of the Tentacle. [Smile]

Also:
the Marathon games (I bought the Bungie Mac Action Sack even though I don't have a Mac. I pulled the data files off and run 'em under Aleph One. Awesome!)
Tie Fighter & X-wing
Warcraft
Carmageddon 2
Doom 2
Day of the Tentacle (I wish I could find this again!)

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Kings, Police, and Quest for Glory games...I still play those every now and then. I'd rank em QfG, Kings, then Police in descending order.

Dark Forces I & II.

Imperialism! I can't believe anyone else mentioned that.

X-Wing, Tie Fighter (the latter was quite a bit better). Wing Commander. Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, Commander Keen, Carmen Sandiago! I'd forgotten that one, I'll have to dig it up sometime.

There WAS one, called Shadow of the Beast, for an old Amiga that I have never found again, anywhere [Frown] .

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, I've been meaning to give Imperialism a try for ages. I think I picked it up from a bargain bin a few months ago. If I did, I'll have to install it and give it a try.
J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 6732

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you play One Must Fall? Mmmm, robots duking it out in DOS.

I loved Scott Adams's old text adventure games, and to this day, I'm still addicted to Rogue.

Kyrandia was a blast, though I can't say I was fond of the third one. Did you ever play Goblins?

King's Quest III was the best one, IMO. Nothing better than poisoning your evil master with a cat-hair cookie. [Smile]

How about Sam and Max? Not as old as some of that stuff, but a classic nonetheless, I think. I loved it.

I absolutely love the Space Quest games, as with the Quests for Glory. I have to agree with Rakeesh on the order of them, though I favored QfG II: Trial by Fire more than any of 'em.

edit: Rakeesh: I'm not sure if this is the right one, as I haven't played it before, but this page has Shadow of the Beast 1 and 3 on it, if you scroll down. You'll need an emulator, I think, but they might work. [Smile]

[ August 04, 2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: J. Alfred Prufrock ]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I still play "One Must Fall". And I like it a lot! :-)

And I still play "pong". Does it makes me weird? [Dont Know]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Boo yeah! One Must Fall all the way. My friend Jamie and I would play against each other on our blazing fast 14.4 modems. Everyone in school wanted to be us, let me tell you. We'd also duke it out in Rise of the Triad pretty often. More games need santa hats and christmas carols if you happen to play on the 25th of December.

I also played Goblins. Or... one of them anyway. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the Quest games. Space Quest was my favorite. "You grab the ladder and jam it in your pocket... ouch!"

J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 6732

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. I always found it morbidly entertaining to go through the games dying in as many ways as possible, just to read the messages. "Shredded like an Iran-Contra document, your many independent parts flutter to the bottom of the hopper. This is of little importance to you, what with your being dead and all." - SQ3

I recently found out that a sequel to OMF existed (OMF: Battlegrounds), and from what I saw on the box, it looked decent -- and it was priced at five bucks, so what harm could it have been?

I want my five bucks back.

[ August 04, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: J. Alfred Prufrock ]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.