FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mark Hacking charged with Lori Hacking's murder (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mark Hacking charged with Lori Hacking's murder
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
CNN story

Wow. I admit I didn't think he had anything to do with her disappearance. I thought the local news was blowing his involvement way out of proportion.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
And I assumed that he was the primary suspect from the beginning.

Just think, she is bonded to him forever through marriage.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

*hangs head*

Not so.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess someone was paying absolutely no attention to the Laci Peterson case... didn't this guy know that they seem to always look at the spouse first?

[Dont Know]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, if he killed her, that's not an issue.

My friend Molly told me about this the other day. That's just awful. [Frown]

<off topic>
I know it's not the topic, but this:
quote:
If Lori's body is recovered and a pregnancy is established, authorities will confer with the district attorney about bringing any additional charges, Dinse said.
It's still irritating that it's not okay for the father to kill the baby, but it's okay for the mother. How can you be charged with killing something that is not officially recognized as being human? Either the fetus has a life to lose or it doesn't.</off topic>
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Husbands are always the first suspects in a wife's disappearance with good reason.

And once his lies came to light, in addition to certain irratic behavior prior to his wife's disappearance, I was firmly in the "oh hell, another one" camp.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Sorry Kat - welcome to the inconsistent, unspoken double-standards that permeate our legal system.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I think my problem is my basic distrust and dislike of television news. I am more inclined to think that they are trying to make something out of nothing to keep the interest up.

Also, Mark Hacking's dad was our daughter's pediatrician until we moved. He was a very nice man. I wasn't inclined to think ill of his family right off the bat.

TMedina
Member # 6649

As a fan of "Forensic Detectives" and similar shows, cops like to move in methodical patterns.

Random murders almost never happen - statistically low percentages. Which means the police start looking at friends, family and acquaintances of the victim for clues as to who might have done it and why.

Once immediate family and friends have been ruled out, the investigators will typically expand their search into other areas of the victim's life. Failing that, the case will often go cold unless there is some evidence to point in a new direction.

-Trevor

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really like to find out what's going on with this guy psychiatrically.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

He's got a screw loose?

I dunno - his web of lies was coming down around his ears and finding out his wife was pregnant and she knew about the deceptions probably pushed him over the edge.

Of course, it's his own bloody fault for dancing on the damned ledge to begin with.

-Trevor

advice for robots
Member # 2544

That's interesting, TMedina. I suppose that makes sense. [Smile]

Mack, I didn't want the old mental illness stigma to be everybody's pet motive in this case.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
He might have an actual mental illness.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

afr--what do you mean?

I mean, if the guy is mentally ill, it doesn't excuse his actions. And if he truly IS ill, once his condition improves, imagine his own shock and horror about finding out what he's done to his wife (if he did do it).

TMedina
Member # 6649

He might - and as you say, it would be interesting to see.

I don't think he's bright enough to fake a mental illness by dancing naked and drawing attention to himself.

Of course, if he was capable of long-term strategic thinking, he wouldn't have lied about college and medical school either.

-Trevor

Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's still irritating that it's not okay for the father to kill the baby, but it's okay for the mother. How can you be charged with killing something that is not officially recognized as being human? Either the fetus has a life to lose or it doesn't.</off topic>
When killing the pregnancy involves killing the mother, it is given weight as an addition to murder. You are intentionally misstating the circumstances to argue an abortion-related topic. Had he fed her abortives, that would also fall under an already established law (something akin to poisoning someone), so that would also not be similar to the abortion argument. On the other hand, cases involving a father who wants the mother to have an abortion against the mother's wishes, or vice versa, would be an applicable argument. Otherwise, it is hyperbole.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

My first thought upon hearing of the disappearence and of the plan to move to go to medical school brought to mind two other murders in which the exact same thing occurred.

[ August 02, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that CNN.com found that announcement (that he had been charged with her murder) important enough to bump the terror threat down to a sub-story, and make the Hacking case lead story. (While ABCNews made the murder case secondary). I wonder who decides the headlines?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

All the lies and such could be symptoms of a pervasive and serious mental illness.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Individual editors with their own sense of propriety, I suppose.

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

Possibly, Mack.

Of course, I'll wait until an independent medical analysis has been done and not trust what his defense team says. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: For incomplete thoughts

[ August 02, 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Well, yes, I imagine that his mental illness was a big factor in the whole thing. I don't think you can be all there and cut someone up with a knife.

But when the news broke that he had been admitted to the psych ward directly after her disappearance, I cringed because that's what the news was doing--playing on the mental illness stigma, reaffirming that people with mental illness are always violent and dangerous. I didn't immediately think that there was a necessary connection. My first thought was that the stress of having his wife go missing was the trigger that sent him over the edge.

TMedina
Member # 6649

I don't have access to a lot of news channels - so most of my understanding has come from the web and web-based offerings like ABCnews.com and CNN.com and, of course, CourtTV.com.

Insofar as I am aware, no news outlet has been playing up the possibility of mental illness as any particular aspect.

Locally, we just had a wife and her lover arrested for murdering her husband in the Frito-Lay plant. Did I mention the lover was the youth minister and the dead hubbie was some figure in their church?

-Trevor

advice for robots
Member # 2544

It was the local news that was doing all the sensationalist stuff, I think. They had reporters posted at all the locations, and they were constantly hounding family members and friends for new nibbles of information. When the families finally came out with the statement that they weren't going to make any more statements, they had analysts analyzing the statement.

I think the whole reason it made the top story slot in the first place was that Mark Hacking went to the psych ward shortly after Lori went missing.

rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Jutsa,

I'm not following your logic yet. Are you saying that in this case, the attacker was attempting to kill the pregnancy, and in the process killed the mother?

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: this vs terror

"The terror threat" isn't news anymore. After all, we've been assured that its been going on for decades and that the war on terror is ongoing (and thus it hasn't been eliminated). Everything else is just details except for attacks (in the US, that is, the news agencies have grown bored of reporting attacks outside the US).

This is news.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"All the lies and such could be symptoms of a pervasive and serious mental illness."

Only if one considers extreme narcissism and laziness to be a mental illness.

And just as he (presumably) assumed that his "trauma" upon the "disappearence" of his wife would provide alibi for him not attending medical school, he's playing with "his audience" once again by running around naked and (predictably) getting locked up in a psychiatric facility. "I didn't do it...blah blah blah."

[ August 02, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Actually, extreme narcissism IS a mental illness.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I would have been shocked to find out that Mark DIDN'T do this.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

As the information slowly seeped in, it started to look more and more like he had. But at first, it seemed that the two events were not connected in a way that made him suspect.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just asking my brother in law about this last night. Mark Hacking was his trainer at the Neuropsychiatry institute. They were orderly-type dudes. In that vein:
quote:
I don't think he's bright enough to fake a mental illness by dancing naked and drawing attention to himself.
I would not be surprised if he has been doing his dangdest to pretend to be insane.

Also, did anyone notice that Mark himself was the first to bring up parallels between his wife's disappearance and the Laci Petersen case? He knew the spotlight would be on him.

Now he's obviously a complicated individual, but I all the reports I have seen point to him being pretty well collected until after the investigation began.

There was an article implying the interest in this case is due to media favoring whites. But Lori was part Hispanic. I think it's because the last name is "Hacking". Hello.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Hmmm.

Could be borderline personality disorder.

TMedina
Member # 6649

It's difficult to speculate without having any factual data to draw upon.

Although I don't doubt we will be hearing about the surviving Hacking's mental state in the coming trial.

-Trevor

mackillian
Member # 586

One would hope.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I wonder how easy it is to fake the kind of behavior that will get you a bed in the psych ward. The social workers and psychologists who screen the patients are fairly discriminating, as there are a limited number of beds.

I'd say you have to be acting pretty consistently off-kilter to get admitted. Running around naked once wouldn't do it.

Plus, like I said before, you have to be fairly out of it to murder your wife and then lead everyone on a wild goose chase. If he was faking it, he wasn't faking most of it.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Referring to afr's previous post: I don't know, afr. I heard that a woman who was five weeks pregnant disappeared, and big warning signs went off. I assumed that she had just told her family that she was pregnant and the husband freaked, and I thought that before I ever knew a thing about the husband. Not that I'm overly cynical, but it seems like five weeks pregnant is a heckuva (and obvious) time to disappear.

[ August 02, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Running around naked generally gets you arrested for indecent exposure.
pooka
Member # 5003

afr, the military ward I was in was pretty much dedicated to figuring out who was really nuts and who was trying to get out of the service with disability benefits. It is not at all an easy thing to sort out.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I'm holding that Mark was already pretty up in the sky for a while, maybe even before telling everyone he had been accepted to medical school. The irrationality of the lies he told smack of hypomania. He was probably on his way off the charts around the time Lori found out she was pregnant.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's because the last name is "Hacking". Hello.
[Confused] And? I'd never heard the name before this case? Are they celebrities or something?

[ August 02, 2004, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: maui babe ]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yeah, I'd like to see the results of his psych testing.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Pooka, yes, but I've been through the admittance process at the psych ward Mark stayed at. Not for myself, but with a close relation. I've also been through it down at Utah Valley hospital. It surprised me how close they came to not admitting her even in the state she was in. I can't imagine being able to pull off that kind of behavior just for show.

But I gotta go now!

mackillian
Member # 586

Conditions for psychiatric admits are usually if a person is homicidal, suicidal, psychotic, or a combination of those.
pooka
Member # 5003

Maybe Utah makes an exception for public nudity [Wink] I think admittance decisions are also very dependent upon demand at any given time. They are paid to stay full, after all.

I don't have any reason to think he was faking, except that he has demonstrated elaborate lying, and he has extensive experience with psychiatric patients. (He wasn't treated at his former workplace, by the way).

P.S. maui babe, I meant "hacking" as in terms of "stabbing repeatedly". Not as a celebrity name.

[ August 02, 2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Yeah - it's like finding out Scott Peterson is (was) a fertilizer salesman.

I mean, c'mon.

-Trevor

pooka
Member # 5003

Uh, I don't understand Trevor.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It DOES amaze me that apparently every Hatracker from Utah has, at one point or another, run into this nutjob's family.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Pooka...

He sells manure for a living.

*coughcoughBullshitcough*

-Trevor

pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, okay. I had never heard that before. It doesn't really go with the "squiring the young ladies" image.

Tom- yeah, weird, huh?

pooka
Member # 5003

I'll go ahead and bump this because it's over a day old. I have to wonder what happened to tuition that Mark paid for going to the U of U when he actually wasn't. The report that he forged a diploma suggests to me that he was planning to go onward with the schooling deception through medical school.

Whether he was just planning to get money from his wife for tuition, or from his dad, her knowing that he hadn't been accepted to medical school threatened a rather large racket that he had planned. Who knows if he even intended to forge a med school diploma and license? He may have even thought that with her disappearance, this would have increased the likelihood of his dad financing his education.

Anyway, to me it seems like he had a real motive. And as a broker, I'm sure she had some life insurance to boot.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.