FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chess legend renounces U.S. status

Author Topic: Chess legend renounces U.S. status
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Story here .

You know...I used to look up to Fisher, because I thought he was a genius (well...maybe he is), but everytime I hear something about him, now, I have the impression he's a very unstable person. [Frown]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, a talent for chess does not appear to predict mental stability.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
Nor do the characteristics of genious.
Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby Fischer is a walking cautionary tale. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't done this before.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
"Walking cautionary tale". What's the exact meaning of this, please? (second language) [Confused]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I mean, his childhood and his existence for a very long time was only chess. He was the best in the world at it, but since you can't live in front of a chessboard, his interactions with the rest of the world were terrible. He didn't get an education because he dropped at in his early teens for chess.

Now, he became an adult, and he could have rectified things (see Josh Waitzkin), but that's what I mean by cautionary tale. It isn't fair to even the geniuses to only prepare them in one field, no matter how good they are at it, because they will live in a world that will ask more from them.

On the other hand, I suspect Bobby Fischer would have been a little off no matter what his life before had been like.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I guess you have a point, Katharina. Did you watch the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer"?
katharina
Member # 827

That's what prompted the internet search for Josh Waitzkin originally. [Smile]
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Hehe...I like the guy a lot. Of course, I hear his voice a lot, since it's his voice in Chessmaster series computer program. I find his life story inspirational.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It's weird that, even though I know he's old, and it was just a movie, I was expecting to see that little dark-haired boy that portrayed young Bobby Fisher when I clicked the link.

[ August 06, 2004, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Yes...

It's Josh Waitzkin... International NERDmaster!

Bahahahahahaha

/Homer

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*giggle* Did you see the pictures on that site? You say that like he couldn't crush you with one arm.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Woooow.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I know... [Blushing]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Tai Chi Chuan... Kung Fu for people who don't want to learn how to fight [Wink]

[ August 06, 2004, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think that was its appeal. He's Buddhist.

Did you see he's getting a doctrate in religion studies from Columbia?

[ August 06, 2004, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Now, now...let's not be nasty. [No No]

[Wink]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I was only teasing... sheesh!

I did see that... seems like he's done quite well for himself.

I really enjoyed that movie... I wonder how "dramatized" it was.

edit: not being cynical... it actually seems like it would have to be fairly accurate, since it's fairly recent.

[ August 06, 2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about this type of thing before. Granted, Fisher was probably a natural genius. But natural genius is rarely enough to become #1 in the world. There are always a lot of geniuses out there, no matter what field you are talking about.

So how do you become #1 in a field? You have to dedicate you life to it. Not just be comitted, but be so comitted that you throw away just about everything else in your life so that you can dedicate all your energies to being the best.

If you don't do that, somebody else will, and they will have a distinct advantage over you. Do you want to have a family? Enjoyable hobbies? Happiness? You'd better decide which is more important -- being the best or having those other things.

It seems that this is why so many celebrities have really crappy lives. How many musicians, actors, politicians, etc. are really great at what they do, but have lives that are riddled with misery, divorce, drug abuse, eating disorders, or similar things?

Am I being too pessimistic? Am I just using this idea as an excuse to not excel? Or is there some truth to it?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Did you see the pictures of him as a kid? I think the movie was fairly accurate - the actor even looked like him. There are pictures of Little Josh playing in the park, with his family, with his first coach, and competing against Kasparov.
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I know you were just teasing, Jim-Me. Notice the [Wink] at the end of my previous post. sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

Hm...instead of [No No] read [ROFL] . Better now? [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

MPH, I don't know. Josh Waitzkin is grand champion, almost a PhD from Columbia, started a non-profit that works for sick children, and wins world-class competitions for a sport he took up only five years ago. I don't think excellence and a full life is an either/or proposition.

To make things easier, he does have a profession which earns him a great deal and for which he does not need to keep regular hours. I think it's harder to be a weekend warrior.

[ August 06, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

We cool, Eduardo [Smile] no worries.

BTW, I looked up his instructor and he also teaches "San Da" or "San Shou" and his Grandmaster's surname is "Chen".

The art I study is, technically, Chen Family San Soo or San Siu... and there is evidence to suggest the "shou", "siu", and "soo" are all the same term. There's a very good chance what he's learning and what I study have a lot of similarities.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, us Columbia religion majors are a supercool bunch. [Wink]

Does anyone else here love the musical Chess? And also the book The Eight?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I remember that Murray Head song from it,

<sings>
One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster...

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I learn William C. C. Chen style Tai Chi and my teacher is one of his [Chen's] long time students. She says that Josh is already one of his prize pupils and that there's a good chance he'll be a Tai Chi grandmaster eventually.

Jim Me- William C. C. Chen

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So what happens to Fisher if he technically belongs to no country at all?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Everett Hale wrote a story about that: Man without a Country

[ August 06, 2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Thanks for the additional link, Blacwolve... [Smile]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, FG, for one thing, he doesn't know who to root for in the Olympics.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Or which judges to get ticked off at.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a teacher that is a Grand Master that knew fisher when they were young. He said Fisher was always a bit strange and would flip out if he did not play well, even if he won.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If he has no country at all, then he has to live in the airport with Tom Hanks.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude looks like he has a serious case of short-guy syndrome.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Fischer?
What's a "Short-guy syndrom"?

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really enjoyed that movie... I wonder how "dramatized" it was.
I read the book (which the movie was based on)... you know the part at the end of the movie, where Waitzkin is able to look 12 turns ahead (or something like that) to see a way of winning the game? That actually did happen, yow... I can't remember many specifics now, but the movie was generally pretty true to the book (which itself is excellent and muchly recommended).
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.